You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pie lids

Redder Lurtz

Pie lids   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should pie lids be short crust or puff pastry?

I sent Mrs Lurtz out on a mission today whilst I was at work, to buy steak pies with puff pastry lids. She failed; they were all short crust. Can't complain too much as they were excellent with mash, veg and gravy but I can't help thinking a puff pastry lid would have rounded it off nicely. Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Get on fucking Rapey and his shortcrust. Come on you fucker, explain to me why I’m wrong again. 

My workings are something like this:

You don’t like gravy on chips or butter on your cheese on toast. 

That therefore makes you a deviant and de facto wrong on any subsequent food related subjects. 

Which means that as you voted ‘puff’ (unsurprisingly), I am confirmed as correct in voting for short crust.

F2FDDD07-2046-4F58-A880-E81004971B2C.gif

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Anybody who has ever made proper puff pastry from scratch will know that it is a cunt and takes ages. It's nice, but from a sheer taste to effort ratio it's short crust for me.

A pie has to be fucking fucking fucking good, otherwise it's a waste of calories.

That said, I just had 6 parties pies and 2 mini-sausage rolls - because they were there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, General Dryness said:

Anybody who has ever made proper puff pastry from scratch will know that it is a cunt and takes ages. It's nice, but from a sheer taste to effort ratio it's short crust for me.

Laugh all you want but in my chefs courses I had to do this and also merengue. Self whisk. With a whisk. A steel one. Since then?  I can come within 7.4 seconds. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Laugh all you want but in my chefs courses I had to do this and also merengue. Self whisk. With a whisk. A steel one. Since then?  I can come within 7.4 seconds. 

I've done some of a chefs course. Didn't finish it though, it was too much like hard work and the tutor was a cunt. Learnt a fair bit though.

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

A proper pie is one that has its filling completely encased in pastry - a base, sides and lid. A pie with a lid but no base is a casserole covered in pastry. 

Devastating news for the shepherd's pie industry.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I sent Mrs Lurtz out on a mission today whilst I was at work, to buy steak pies with puff pastry lids. She failed; they were all short crust. Can't complain too much as they were excellent with mash, veg and gravy but I can't help thinking a puff pastry lid would have rounded it off nicely. Thoughts? 

It’s not a fucking pie!

Its filling with pastry on the top.

Filling should be incased, not this bourgeois bullshit you’re claiming is a pie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s not a fucking pie!

Its filling with pastry on the top.

Filling should be incased, not this bourgeois bullshit you’re claiming is a pie.

Always always ask before ordering a pie in a restaurant.  Because there's nothing more fucking irritating than this.  In life.

• Upvote 2