You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Manchester United 0 (Jan 19 2020)

tlw content

I feel differently to you Dave about the win and especially Salah's goal.  Must admit I got a bit emotional when it went in.  Cathartic or whatever but it felt like the ultimate payback for all the shite those cunts and their wanker supporters have inflicted on us over the last 27 years. I fucking despise those small time cunts.  I must have replayed the move for Salah's goal at least 20 times that night from Ali's pass to the crowd expoding with joy as the ball rolled into the net.

Bliss

• Upvote 8

45 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I feel differently to you Dave about the win and especially Salah's goal.  Must admit I got a bit emotional when it went in.  Cathartic or whatever but it felt like the ultimate payback for all the shite those cunts and their wanker supporters have inflicted on us over the last 27 years. I fucking despise those small time cunts.  I must have replayed the move for Salah's goal at least 20 times that night from Ali's pass to the crowd expoding with joy as the ball rolled into the net.

Bliss

My oul fella hates football, so his response to the one time I took him to Anfield - yes, out-of-towners taking all the tickets, don't bottle it up - was to call it "90 of the most boring minutes of my life". However, the one thing he was fascinated by was the singing. Why did everyone start singing there? What was the cue? Who took the lead? Why does everyone know the words? The clientele didn't strike him as the type to be part of light opera societies. I thought of that watching the videos from the Kop of as the ripple of "we're gonna win the league!" turned into a roar. A guttural roar. Catharsis is right.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Weirdly enough my biggest roar this season was the Origi fifth goal against Arsenal in the Carabao.

I think Klopp enjoyed that one as much as any goal this season too. That was just a really fun game and a massive feel good ending.

• Upvote 2

See United have been charged for failing to control their players.

The more I think about that the more annoyed I am about how they acted. It was ALWAYS going to VAR so why are they harrassing the ref like that? There's no excuse for anyone getting in the ref's face like that anymore because VAR looks at anything contentious.

Also, anyone know who the VAR ref was who over-ruled Craig Pawson?

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

I think Klopp enjoyed that one as much as any goal this season too. That was just a really fun game and a massive feel good ending.

Wasn't at that game and started off doing bits and bobs in the house with one eye on the tv & by the end I was bouncing around the couch like Tom Cruise.

ps Tierney was the overrule VAR guy

If the match ref had blown up for the Virgil challenge then no problem because we all know keepers are treated as some kind of protected species as they charge around,studs or knees raised, clattering into or through anyone between them and the ball.  But the ref didn't give it so how can the VAR ref consider that a clear and obvious error unless he's rewriting the rules to say nobody can ever go up for the ball in the vicinity of the keeper?

No need to defend an inswinging corner - just get the keeper to fall over as soon as he's touched. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave u said:

The more I think about that the more annoyed I am about how they acted. It was ALWAYS going to VAR so why are they harrassing the ref like that? There's no excuse for anyone getting in the ref's face like that anymore because VAR looks at anything contentious.

Think it was Paul Tierney.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Agree with you there, Dave as there's no point to kicking off when the VAR get out of jail card has still to be played.

It does beg the question as what De Gea said/did to actually get booked, though.

Also, why weren't Wolves charged for their vastly superior show of petulance at Anfield?

16 hours ago, rb14 said:

One notable omission Dave. Matic. Dirty fucker or what? Between him and (was it?) Lindelöf, I swear there was more shirt-pulling or holding of (particularly) Mo than I've ever seen in a single game. Outrageous. Thought Matic should have had a second yellow late on in the game with one particularly outrageous foul.

Agree on the Matic foul late on - especially as he got away with a high boot after he'd been booked.

I also couldn't understand why it took so long for "big-boned" Luke Shaw to get booked.

5 hours ago, dave u said:

I think that their reaction indirectly put pressure on the VAR ref. No idea if it had an influence as these sorts of decisions are completely subjective (and therefore shouldn’t be subject to VAR in the first place).

Great report as ever. I agree with all of it except that for me the end of the game really was the moment I allowed myself to start to believe. There’s no logic to it but when you’ve spent the best part of 20 years - because it took about 10 to sink in - thinking that Liverpool would never again win the title in your lifetime, then the evidence has to be pretty overwhelming to change that. 

5 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

On the "blistering" start to the second half: a nerd on Irish radio re-watched the game and figured out that it was 9 minutes and 45 seconds before a United player touched the ball in our half after the break. That's absolutely incredible...

I heard that on off the ball last night and rewatched the game after. It's true and they only twice successfully passed outside 18 yards during that time. We battered them and had 4 great chances

United's most impactful game relating to the title race was at The Ethiad, not Anfield. That was the game that really decided things & showed this years City up to be the flaky beast they'll continue being through to the end of the season.

• dave u unpinned this topic