You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Manchester United 0 (Jan 19 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Another one down, another step nearer. Nothing was decided by this victory but some people seem to be seeing it as “the day the title was won”. I’m not sure why, to be honest. Remove the name of the opponent and the situation is just that we beat an average team at Anfield.

Would the reaction have been the same if we’d beaten Palace or West Ham? No. But because it’s United we’ve got Gary Neville talking about the Salah goal as “the moment the title was decided”. That goal didn’t even decide the game as we’d won anyway. In terms of results that showed the title was heading to Anfield, this is way down the list for me and it’s giving United far too much credit to suggest that this was some kind of ‘signature win’.

United are a mediocre team right now and to be completely honest I’m frustrated we didn’t beat them by more goals. I suppose City dropping two points the day before plays a part, but we’re miles ahead anyway and, funny as it was, I don’t think the Palace equaliser was especially significant. Hopefully City continue to drop points though just so we can wrap this up as soon as possible.

It’s hilarious listening to Solksjaer trying to cling to little positives. “We did better than in the game here last year”. Not really. It was pretty much the same type of “please don’t hurt us” type of performance that we’re seeing from virtually every opponent we come across these days.

In terms of what we’ve seen at Anfield of late, United’s display was slightly better than Sheffield United and significantly worse than Watford and Wolves. If they want to take some positive little crumbs from that, let them. I think it’s fucking hilarious. Ole is hilarious. He’s so deluded and so cheerful I just don’t have it in me to dislike him. He’s a funny guy. Like a clown. He amuses me. 

I mean come on, “They don’t carve you open” is an all time classic. The stuff about us being direct and playing a lot of long balls is 100% true, but to suggest we don’t carve teams open is embarrassing for him. Almost as embarrassing as his lowering of expectations and attempts to give himself credibility with claims like “it shows how much we’re respected that Man City didn’t rest players against us”. He’s like a little goblin faced Norwegian Hodgson.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

About time lazyarse. I was just going to bump me thread as well. Thank yoooooo. 

And can someone educate me? I thought there was a law about surrounding the ref pointing fingers and yelling at him. Has that died a death now? What those manc players did after Bobby's perfectly legitimate goal was a disgrace.

And never mind Mo losing his shorts. I want his NB boxies off. Nice.

And I too pissed myself when I heard them singing "Where's your famous atmosphere." Seriously. What are they on?

One notable omission Dave. Matic. Dirty fucker or what? Between him and (was it?) Lindelöf, I swear there was more shirt-pulling or holding of (particularly) Mo than I've ever seen in a single game. Outrageous. Thought Matic should have had a second yellow late on in the game with one particularly outrageous foul.

4 hours ago, rb14 said:

About time lazyarse. I was just going to bump me thread as well. Thank yoooooo. 

And can someone educate me? I thought there was a law about surrounding the ref pointing fingers and yelling at him. Has that died a death now? What those manc players did after Bobby's perfectly legitimate goal was a disgrace.

And never mind Mo losing his shorts. I want his NB boxies off. Nice.

And I too pissed myself when I heard them singing "Where's your famous atmosphere." Seriously. What are they on?

That rule started and finished with Javier Mascherano getting sent off at old Trafford all those years ago. The FA solved that particular issue with just a single game, the wise, all-knowing fucks.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know about the signature, Dave.

I agree with you over all, a mediocre team, three more points, a dominant display, but ...

But I really feel deep inside when Mo scored, I enjoyed it like an accomplishment. I mean I’m still cautious , old enough to remember the great old time and the missed chance , but there was something with the goal, the celebration and the atmosphere in the stadium.

I’m watching games with my 11 years old son, a good  red. He’s been watching almost  every game since he’s 5. He’s been to Anfield. Right after the goal, he was standing on the sofa right behind me as I was sitting. He hugged me from behind for a couple of seconds, no words, no tears, just a strong hug.... that was a great dad/ son moment, something did happen. I agree with you on Neville’s comment, but somehow we know it’s coming and it feels great.  

What at a time to be a red.

• Upvote 11

I know what you mean mate, and don't get me wrong, the celebrations were right up there with some of the best we've had. I enjoyed it so much because it was them and also because of the nature of the goal. 

I suppose the main reason I'm not buying into the 'significance' of it is because to me the title was decided weeks ago and beating a shite United team doesn't really seem like some landmark win.

The chanting of "we're gonna win the league" has probably contributed to it as well, but again, I don't see that as anything significant as we sung it loads last season too!

• Upvote 1

In the first 9 minutes 30 seconds of the 2nd half, no united player touched the ball in our half and the passed the ball successfully outside 18 yards twice. 

Mad that less than 5 minutes later Martial should have equalised.

We genuinely could have scored six. I love watching this team

• dave u unpinned this topic