You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neville: Salah goal was the moment that Liverpool won the league

TLW

Gary Neville says that the Mo Salah goal will go down as the moment that Liverpool fans truly believed they will become champions this season.

In a match where Liverpool made most of the running, they were made to wait until second half injury time to seal the three points. Virgil Van Dijk put the hosts in front in the 14th minute with a strong header from a Trent Alexander-Arnold corner.

Liverpool remained on the front foot, but they had goals by Roberto Firmino and Gini Wijnaldum chalked off meaning that the game remained in the balance. The visitors belatedly came to life in the final 20 minutes but were unable to find the finishing touch when they needed it the most.

They were made to pay the ultimate price when a pin-point clearance from Alisson found Mo Salah on the break and he was able to hold off his opponent and finish with aplomb.

It was a goal that had a clear sense of symbolism about it, as Salah celebrated his first goal against the Red Devils in truly joyous fashion in front of a ecstatic Kop.

While it would have been hard to take for a Man United stalwart like Neville, he has been a part of enough winning sides to understand what the moment felt like for the supporters.

image.png

Speaking on his own podcast Neville said:

“We’ve just witnessed Liverpool there today announce that they are going to win the league, even though we all knew it.

“In this stadium at the end of the game when Mo Salah ran through you just felt they knew that was the moment.

“I don’t think they are going to get what would be a euphoric feeling of a last minute goal to win the title on the last day.

“Yeah it will be emotional when they win the title.
But that today felt like a huge moment, and being in the stadium to witness it… I’m glad I witnessed it. I’m glad I witnessed it as a Manchester United fan because you need to suffer sometimes and you need to feel pain.”

While Jürgen Klopp understood the emotion of the moment, he was certainly not willing to join in the euphoria, keeping to the line he has maintained throughout the campaign.

“They can sing that. They have sung that a couple of times in the past I think. l have no problem with that. Everyone should celebrate the situation, apart from us. Nothing has changed, we have the same situation plus three points.

“I will tell you immediately the moment if it feels different, at the moment it doesn't.
I have no idea whether we will be caught or not, I don't care.

“First and foremost it's the Premier League. We play Wolves on Thursday, it's our next exceptional challenge. I don't have enough space in my brain to contemplate anything else."

Walking through the Kop after the game and hearing "we're going to win the league" felt right, it certainly wouldn't have at any point before in this season and I haven't heard it sung at Anfield before then. I've used "if" to qualify almost every single talk of the title so far and until it's mathematically impossible to be caught, I'll continue that. I heard Leicester fans singing it before xmas and thought what the fuck, how's that working out for them? 

On the way home I stuck Radio Merseyside on and a Liverpool fan was saying that 'when we won it, it would come as an anti climax' because he had resigned himself to winning it a while ago. I do not know what planet that particular fan  lives on but no matter what or when we eventually clinch it, it will not be a fucking anti climax, anything but. There will be tears from grown men, most of them will be men that took the last time we won it for granted, I will be one of them. I never thought I'd live to see it, I never in a million years imaged that 'if' we won it we would do it this way. The season so far has been nothing I could have imagined in my wildest dreams.

Years ago I used to play championship manager on shift on a 486 laptop, you could in those days reboot if you lost and go again. I did this sometimes to amuse myself and at one point by rebooting a fair bit. I was sitting in roughly the same league position as we are now. Whenever I look at the league table I'm reminded of that and have to pinch myself that we're in this position not because some slacker is rebooting but because we are fucking incredible and that as a Liverpool fan we are being spoilt on a weekly basis.

I believe we will win the league, I don't see anything wrong with saying that. We haven't won it yet and as fans we have to continue the support and push the team on because they don't think we've won it yet and rightly so. Luckily we are blessed to have an amazing manager that won't let the players become complacent because that's the moment things go wrong and spiral. 

Before every game I say to my mate, you know what I'd love us to just have a game today when I can relax and we can wrap it up early and stick some of the kids on for a runabout. It rarely happens even if after the game you can look back and see that for all the worry we were rarely bothered by the opposition. Well maybe once the season is done we can do the same, I hope so. 

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Philtrum said:

Years ago I used to play championship manager on shift on a 486 laptop, you could in those days reboot if you lost and go again. I was sitting in roughly the same league position as we are now.

Blatant attempt to put your name in the mix with Ljinders and Gerrard when Jurgen finally goes.

• Upvote 1

The moment we win the league will be when it's mathematically impossible for us to not win it. Anything else is just romantic ideas. That said, there is nothing wrong with that as this sport isn't robots playing robots watched by robots. It characters playing with their heart and soul watched by us, people who have watched and cheered and sung for decades, with memories of past glories and hope for the future.

What's so weird about Salahs goal is that it netted us ZERO points, yet felt significant. It was us weathering another storm, and popping up at the other end with confirmation that we can come through it. It felt like a winner when the game was already won, and should have been finished at 30 mins.

It was beautiful.

• Upvote 2

Ive been saying we are champions elect for a good few weeks now. It's not if or when for me and I understand if people dont want to get on that boat just yet. But, yesterday's 93rd minute goal just seemed seminal to me and others in the ground.

That's why I believe everyone in the ground sang the chant.

In the cold light of day, I always felt the title would be won by driving city into submission so, I dont agree with neville that it was won just yesterday. He's just wanting to make out united are important in the scheme of things and, they arent.

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"Were gonna win the league" has been sung prematurely a few times that I can remember. Fulham away (2009 I think) and Southampton away 2014. Didn't feel right. 

We werent 16 points ahead with a game in hand then neither were our stats so good. We couldnt manage games then either. City havent been able to string more than 3 consecutive league wins together this season either. But whatever floats yer boat.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We werent 16 points ahead with a game in hand then neither were our stats so good. We couldnt manage games then either. City havent been able to string more than 3 consecutive league wins together this season either. But whatever floats yer boat.

I wasn't questioning it being sung this time mate. Not in the slightest. I farted to the tune of it after my tea last night. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I wasn't questioning it being sung this time mate. Not in the slightest. I farted to the tune of it after my tea last night. 

Yeah no probs, mate. I remember singing "we're gonna win the league" in 2014 when we beat city in one of the last games at home. And, I understand anyone who still remembers the hurt that followed. I was as gutted as anyone.

The only points Id make is we are miles better in any way people want to compare past times. Our manager and his coaching staff are miles better, the team has trophies under their belt, they know how to manage games against the best or worst opponents. The players have this burning desire and a not lose mentality.

I just look at those missed title opportunities and I see absolute no comparison.As I said, if people think it's still there to be won, cool, absolutely no problem.

It was glorious to hear "We're going to win the league" sung last night. It was the sound of 30 years of frustration being lifted. There is a sense of inevitability now which is palpable. Nobody will be counting chickens before they are hatched, but it should be noted that their beaks have pecked through the shell.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It was glorious to hear "We're going to win the league" sung last night. It was the sound of 30 years of frustration being lifted. There is a sense of inevitability now which is palpable. Nobody will be counting chickens before they are hatched, but it should be noted that their beaks have pecked through the shell.

Beaks pecked through the shell and their big chicken feet stomping proudly around the place.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

MemorableDefiniteAmericancrocodile-size_

Salah's goal will be an iconic moment, together with the one when we actually win it, not because it was a turning point in the race, but because it was that beautiful moment when we spontaneously, simultaneously, collectively felt we can turn around and say to other teams supporters what they have been thinking and what we have been thinking for weeks, yes, we are going to win the league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I was going to say you are exaggerating City's results and went to check. Literally a 3 game streak is their best.

Happy fucking days. As tough as they have been over the last year's, surely even they must have serious doubts right now.