Quantcast
Wolves (A) Premier League 20/1/2020 - 20:00 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
  • Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• We must win!! It will be an anti climax if we don’t.
    • Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool will have a extra sense of purpose as they look to correct a mini blip of form and end the season in a positive fashion next Wednesday evening at Anfield.

The Reds produced an uncharacteristically sloppy defensive display against Arsenal with mistakes by Virgil Van Dijk and Alisson gift wrapping both goals for Alexander Lacazette and Reiss Nelson.

The North London outfit offered precious little in an attacking sense throughout the rest of the contest and had Liverpool had been on their A game, the scoreline could have been anything.

But the truth of the matter was the champions were sloppy on the ball with countless missed passes and wasted opportunities in the final third.

After the frustrating draw against Burnley where the team did play well, many felt the Reds would put this beleaguered Gunners outfit to the sword.

The fact that it didn’t happen left many connected to the club extremely frustrated and you sense if given the opportunity, Klopp and the players would have thrived on then opportunity to play another 90 minutes on the spot.  

As is his way, Klopp did not look to dwell on the negatives, instead casting his mind to next Wednesday’s clash with Chelsea and highlighted what a special occasion it will be as the Echo reported.

“We have all been waiting ages, some of us 30 years, and we will finally get this Premier League trophy and it will be a big moment for all of us and our families,” said the Reds boss. “That’s 100%.

“Before that, we have to play a game. For five millions reasons, we will try to win it.

“I have had this situation twice in my life where we have got the trophy on the day.

“It will be difficult, especially when the other team is Chelsea and they are fighting with all they have to get in the Champions League.”

Despite the opponent, Klopp is confident that they play to their optimum level, they will be able to celebrate the moment in fitting style.

“I saw tonight that my boys want to win it. They made two wrong decisions, but they wanted to win the game.

“I don’t think I ever played a game with 24 to three shots against Arsenal, I can’t remember that. There are a lot of goals usually when we play against each other, but not that many tonight – at least on our side. But that dominance we never had before, I can’t remember it at least. So I’m happy about that.

"They made two wrong decisions, but they wanted to win the game.

“And that’s what will happen next week, 100%. We will try with everything we have to win the game.”

View full article
    • Well that's these people faults. It's pretty clear we've been sell to buy. I've still not heard why that's a bad thing, though. I mean the whole point of building a team is keeping the good players who are happy to play for you and to replace the ones who don't want to play for you. You can't tell me anyone good has ever been sold when they still wanted to be here. The difference now is players want to be here, so there's less room in the squad and less money to spend. Oh well.    And the difference between us and Manchester United is they've always been the richest club, they could buy anybody. That's just not realistic when we were mediocre for 25 years and started to lag behind. FSG are our owners because they think they can compete in a world where there are financial regulations. The problem is, there aren't any and so now their crime is basically that they're broke and don't/can't spend their own money because the supposed rules say they shouldn't. That's just not really a fair criticism, to be honest. It's bad faith.    I've always just enjoyed that they're competent for the most part at owning a sports team. That's it really. And it's enough for me I guess, not for some. 
    • Anyone who expects the club to spend any money this year has obviously been Rip van Winkeling it for the last 4 months.   1.  There's a global pandemic on.  2.  There's no-one in the stadium, which has already cost the club tens of millions of pounds 3.  No-one knows if or when fans will come back, so it's likely going to cost the club tens more millions next season. 4.  It is highly likely that commercial deals are going to be less because the global economy is absolutely fucked. 5.  We can't off load squad players for decent fees, because loads of other clubs have no money whatsoever.  Spurs just had to take out a massive loan just to stay afloat.  There is no Bournemouth paying 20 million for Harry Wilson this year. 6.  There's a good chance that this uncertain situation exists for the next couple of years.   Yes, we have hoarded money from previous transfer windows, and should have some to spend - we've also committed a lot to contracts and wage increases for the current squad as well as 150 million building Kirkby and the new Anny Road (on pause that though too obviously)   FSG could have spent their own money in upgrading Anfield, and I definitely have sympathy with this view point.    They've reaped massive returns on their initial investment without putting an extra penny in, just by running the club pretty well.  However, we've seen in the years they've been here that they're not going to do it, so if you're still angry about that by now then you are better at maintaining the rage than me.    I also would prefer the club to be majority fan owned, and there would be the same need for the club to be self sustainable if that was the case, so while it sticks in the craw that an investment group is reaping the benefits rather than the club and fans, the financial model isn't any different.   This year, even if FSG were inclined to dip into their own funds, they probably can't do it as their other major interest is baseball and that is even more fucked the football is.   It's pretty clear from what Klopp has said that we had the Werner deal lined up, but the uncertainty of future income meant the club pulled the plug. He also said the other day that, while we won't be signing anyone this off season, it potentially might happen later in the year.  Pretty clear we are being conservative with the funds because we have no idea what next years income or the year after is going to look like.  Once the situation becomes more certain then we might.  
    • The way we've played this season we've probably been due for some stupid results like we've had recently. All season we've just been grinding and grinding, getting results without being super dominant in lots of matches. Even though there's plenty of caveats around these games with our lack of motivation, I think water is just finding its level. We were never a 100 point, we're about a 90-95 point team. 
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors

• Football Betting Site Betway