You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Liverpool to battle Chelsea for Werner signature 

TLW

Liverpool are set to go head to head with rivals Chelsea for the signature of Bundesliga star Timo Werner according to reports.

The RB Leipzig hotshot has averaged a goal a game (25 in 26) across all competitions this season and has undoubtedly alerted a number of big teams across Europe.

The Mirror reports that Chelsea are in the market for a striker and are free to enter the market after their transfer ban was overturned.

Werner is at the top of their list and are believed to already opened negotiations with the German international who has signalled his intent of testing himself in the Premier League.

The Striker recently told Bild:

"The Premier League is certainly the most interesting league, you have to say.

"There is a certain flair to watching the English league and playing there."

The interest from Chelsea has prompted Liverpool to make their move with Jürgen Klopp a known fan of the 23 year-old.

image.png

With Leipzig flying high at the top of the Bundesliga and in the last 16 of the Champions League, it seems highly unlikely that Werner will leave in the current window.

One other player that seems to be staying put at his current club is Xherdan Shaqiri with Klopp adamant in not wanting any first team members leaving during this month.

Roma are believed to be very keen on the Swiss international who has struggled for consistent minutes at the Reds during the past 12 months due to increased competition and a series of niggling injuries.

View full article

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Hasn't he already reportly said to his agents he doesn't fancy a move to us as he wants gaurenteed playing time. 

Seems silly as with 60 games a year he's going to get 40 starts a year with his ability to play wide and up top

Yep, saw those reports. If true, he's another pulisic and would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

18 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Divok Origi was a fading donkey before Kloppo took hold of him. If our interest is genuine then I reckon he'd fit in.

He'll end up at Bayern though won't he.

Maybe, although I saw somebody from the club or connected to it who said he wouldn't fit in because of the lack of space. I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

Wasn't it James Pearce who wrote up an article a month ago saying that we went in for him last summer but he didn't want to come as he didn't think he'd get enough playing time? We had a whole discussion about it somewhere on here.

Remain convinced that he's a genuine world class player who would suit us down to the ground. It's a real shame if he's chalked us off his list because he's afraid he'll sit on the bench behind Firmino & Mane. I think, as Lee notes above, that he'd get plenty of starts and he'd be coming to us just as he enters his peak (and right as Mane and Firmino begin to exit theirs). I would think in his position the choice would be an easy one, and the fact that he doesn't see it that way doesn't speak well of his decision-making.

He could score a billion goals this season and I still don't think I would rate him that highly (for us). I can't change my mind now.

He might have improved since but I still have his World Cup performances where he was completely ineffective against anybody who defended deep burnt into my brain. I think technically, there's something missing. 

If we buy an attacker that can really challenge or possibly replace one of our front 3, it needs to be someone who is a genius or a carbon copy in style of those 3. I don't think he's either. 

13 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Wasn't it James Pearce who wrote up an article a month ago saying that we went in for him last summer but he didn't want to come as he didn't think he'd get enough playing time? We had a whole discussion about it somewhere on here.

Remain convinced that he's a genuine world class player who would suit us down to the ground. It's a real shame if he's chalked us off his list because he's afraid he'll sit on the bench behind Firmino & Mane. I think, as Lee notes above, that he'd get plenty of starts and he'd be coming to us just as he enters his peak (and right as Mane and Firmino begin to exit theirs). I would think in his position the choice would be an easy one, and the fact that he doesn't see it that way doesn't speak well of his decision-making.

James Pearce puts brown sauce on his roast. 

I think Mane or Salah might go in the summer.

Both will be 28 this summer, and it's that point of their career you might think they have one last big move.

A move won't be about 'winning things', but it might be about completing a journey for them, for their country, to be the first Egyptian or Senegalese player to sign, and star, for Real Madrid or Barca, that's still an established road that most overseas players want to be on. 

Werner's scoring rate is filthy, he's posting the sort of numbers at age 23 that are in the same vein as Neymar, Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi. 

However, I don't see how Bayern Munich don't get involved in this.  Lewandowski is 31, and Muller is 30.  If they don't get on this train then I don't see what they do instead, or next year.  They could stage another Dortmund raid for Haaland, but he would cost £100m+.  

Part of me wonders if we might consider speaking to Munich, stepping aside for Werner, and getting Lewandowski on a 2 year contract.  Would buy us time for developing Brewster, and don't forget Glatzel, who Klopp really rates:

“The week we saw him [at Melwood] helped already, so when he is back he will be one of my boys because I really like what I saw.”