You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carbon

This seems to be the latest marketing buzzword to also help the environment. If you fill up with premium unleaded petrol or diesel a lot of fuel stations are vowing to plant trees to help reduce carbon emissions. Is this possible?

Amazon has said they are aiming to be carbon neutral by I think 2040. Microsoft have said they are aiming to be carbon negative by 2050, meaning they remove more carbon than they produce. Is this even possible? How can you remove carbon from the environment?

Is this marketing gibberish or are they really going to help the environment by achieving these things?

30 minutes ago, mattyq said:

It's carbon dioxide which is a greenhouse gas

If you plant trees, for example, they use carbon dioxide to grow and so remove it from the atmosphere.

A worse greenhouse gas is methane

So do we need to stop farting and shitting? 

13 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

This seems to be the latest marketing buzzword to also help the environment. If you fill up with premium unleaded petrol or diesel a lot of fuel stations are vowing to plant trees to help reduce carbon emissions. Is this possible?

Amazon has said they are aiming to be carbon neutral by I think 2040. Microsoft have said they are aiming to be carbon negative by 2050, meaning they remove more carbon than they produce. Is this even possible? How can you remove carbon from the environment?

Is this marketing gibberish or are they really going to help the environment by achieving these things?

You can't remove it from the environment, but you can plant trees and other plants, which take carbon dioxide from the atmosphere - and you can stop using so many fossil fuels, so you're releasing less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. 

If they - and all companies and governments - did enough of these things, there might (only "might") - be a chance of preventing a total, global calamity; but I suspect it's just greenwashing, marketing bullshit. The kind of action that is needed would mean the end of capitalism as we know it, but most of the major polluting countries are led by twats committed to the most damaging forms of capitalism. 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I've got a Weber and use it often, all year round. There are many benefits to a gas BBQ. I would happily also have a charcoal one but for some insane reason the wife won't let us have two barbecues. 

Imagine the scenes if Ron Swanson read this. Imagine.