You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We've bagged arsenal's team doctor.

dockers_strike

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Did someone kill John Achterberg?

It only started with poor old Achterberg when Reina, great keeper though he'd been, decided to feast on crisps and god knows what else, and generally lose the fight to stay fit, when Achterberg arrived. Realisng what a state he now was in, Reina started pining publicly for his last coach, as if that was the only problem, and everyone hated Achterberg. Since then Achterberg has had to try to improve Ming and Karius - oi, John, try and cure all known diseases, while you're at  it, mate - and yet he's been blamed for all that they've done wrong. Alisson seems to like him. The younger keepers are coming on well. Achterberg is doing okay.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gkmacca said:

It only started with poor old Achterberg when Reina, great keeper though he'd been, decided to feast on crisps and god knows what else, and generally lose the fight to stay fit, when Achterberg arrived. Realisng what a state he now was in, Reina started pining publicly for his last coach, as if that was the only problem, and everyone hated Achterberg. Since then Achterberg has had to try to improve Ming and Karius - oi, John, try and cure all known diseases, while you're at  it, mate - and yet he's been blamed for all that they've done wrong. Alisson seems to like him. The younger keepers are coming on well. Achterberg is doing okay.

Kelleher looks pretty turd at the moment at levels above his age group.

11 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Yeh, not quite sure why he gets so much stick.  Alission and Adrian aren't too shabby.

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

It's easy to say Karius and Mignolet were always shite in hindsight, but they must have done reasonably well to earn their moves in the first place. Not that I'm pinning their form on a goalkeeping coach. 

Buying Mignolet when you wanted a team that played out from the back was way beyond stupid and Karius was a desperate low spend punt. Its easier to understand why Karius didn't work out,but paying a premium for 'butter gloves' Mig was stupidity.

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

It's easy to say Karius and Mignolet were always shite in hindsight, but they must have done reasonably well to earn their moves in the first place. Not that I'm pinning their form on a goalkeeping coach. 

Karius was a punt by Klopp on some kid with little experience. That's down to him and the fact he kept persevering with him when it was clear he was a dud.  Mig was half decent but always will have a brainfart ready to escape. We broke a cardinal rule with him in not buying the best keeper you can get.  Glad to see we learned the lesson .

On 17/01/2020 at 11:04, magicrat said:

I'm still with GK on this.  Defy anyone to get a decent tune out of Mig and Karius. 

I'm genunely unsure what goalkeeping coaches can do beyond, you know, push a bit and work on the analysis. Take Pickford (please!) - a coach can't make him taller, and probably can't really  make him concentrate better (same went for David James), and can't stop that weird way in which he seems to get spooked. In the case of Ming, for example, I guess a coach could have worked to improve the basics, but IMHO I suspect you're not going to do much more than bring out the talent that's there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been sceptical about those expectations regarding the transformation of a so-so keeper into a really good one. If they don't already have the all-round talents and the determination, I doubt it can be cultivated.

25 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I'm genunely unsure what goalkeeping coaches can do beyond, you know, push a bit and work on the analysis. Take Pickford (please!) - a coach can't make him taller, and probably can't really  make him concentrate better (same went for David James), and can't stop that weird way in which he seems to get spooked. In the case of Ming, for example, I guess a coach could have worked to improve the basics, but IMHO I suspect you're not going to do much more than bring out the talent that's there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been sceptical about those expectations regarding the transformation of a so-so keeper into a really good one. If they don't already have the all-round talents and the determination, I doubt it can be cultivated.

I think great keepers are generally born not made. Agility, mental alertness , ball skills and probably a higher level of intelligence than outfield players plus they can't be midgets !  

On 16/01/2020 at 13:47, Strontium Dog™ said:

Ah, remember all the armchair experts who were convinced that the reason all our goalkeepers were shit was John Achterberg. They've been oddly silent recently, I can't imagine why.

Haha. Wasn’t there expert analysis on here of why his training drills were awful based on a thirty second YouTube clip?

He’d be long gone if Klopp didn’t rate him. Before Alisson arrived, trying to work with our goalkeepers over the previous decade must have been like trying to repaint the Sistine Chapel with a box of broken crayons. 

A disinterested Reina and then replacements even worse than what he’d been producing. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Turns out he's jibbed us, the twat. Wants to stay in London and is 'encouraged' by the direction arsenal are going under arteta. Fuck off then, muppet.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1675755/2020/03/16/ornstein-arsenal-liverpool-coronavirus-westham-amazon/

Going down,going down...with a virus.