Sign in to follow this  
an tha

AFCON 2021

Loads of talk/stories online that this is moving to Jan/Feb in 2021 due to expanded Club World Cup and or weather in host nation in June/July.

If true then it is an absolute hammer blow for us.

Only a proposal at the moment as I understand it.

Well, Mo, Sadio and Naby will just have to decide what's more important to them, their Liverpool seniority or playing in this. Playing in the last one when he wasnt properly fit has seriously hammered Naby's Liverpool career.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Loads of talk/stories online that this is moving to Jan/Feb in 2021 due to expanded Club World Cup and or weather in host nation in June/July.

If true then it is an absolute hammer blow for us.

Would be an absolute shitshow for us. Losing both Mo & Mane in a period when we usually struggle. Not too fussed about Keita, he'd ptobably be injured anyways.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't know how they're still getting away with having it every two years, why can't it be every four years like the European Championship?

tenor (2).gif

Both will play. 

Both national FA would ensure they were banned if they refused anyway. Luckily we should win it this year but next year will be a struggle. 

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

tenor (2).gif

That's probably the long and short of it.

It's a ridiculous situation when every other season you are losing your best players at a crucial time of the year so they can go and play second-rate football in deathtrap stadiums while dodging armed militias and jetting around on dangerous airlines so penny-pinching tin-pot FAs can graft a bit of extra cash for their Swiss bank accounts.

• Upvote 3

Great.   If they're going to start playing this shite in the winter again, then we'd be better off staying the fuck away from African players. 

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Klopp will sell Salah this summer.

I doubt Klopp wants anybody to leave given our form over the past 18 months, least of all one of his best players. 

We'll bring in another attacker, that's all. 

I wonder if #taintedtitle etc will be pushed out by all the fucking mongs next year when a team is handicapped by being unable to field its top 2 goalscorers for 7 games through them being forced to play in this shite?

The greatest regret of Mané's career will be if he doesn't win AFCON. He's been so close twice. He'll die to win that. Salah, I don't really think gives a shit anymore, but he'd have to pretend to care because that Egyptian fanbase are nuts. I don't think either are retiring any time soon and this will be problematic to us.

If this carries on being a thing every 2 years and in Jan/Feb I can see the club swerving buying Africans going forward if they are gonna lose them for about 20% of the games every other season as well as the additional problems associated with them going out for it

It is a competitive disadvantage that you just don't want to be at.

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think Salah could actually be persuaded. 

What on earth gives you that idea.   He's idolised there. 

I dare say it means more to him than his club,  like it will for most players.