You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2020

Captain Turdseye

Campbell just doesn’t carry the power to keep the worldies at bay. 

If I was a top boxer or up and coming with loads of potential, I’d get off to the states and learn my trade over there. The likes of Joe Gallagher can only take you so far at domestic level. 

Brits just don’t get out often enough and are fed body bags in sparring. I know Canelo is an all time great but Callum looked like he’d won a raffle to be in the ring against him for an exhibition the other week. 

33 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Campbell just doesn’t carry the power to keep the worldies at bay. 

If I was a top boxer or up and coming with loads of potential, I’d get off to the states and learn my trade over there. The likes of Joe Gallagher can only take you so far at domestic level. 

Brits just don’t get out often enough and are fed body bags in sparring. I know Canelo is an all time great but Callum looked like he’d won a raffle to be in the ring against him for an exhibition the other week. 

It can work the opposite way though, Scott Quigg left Gallagher to go to Freddie Roaches gym and regressed as he was being used as a sparring partner for his best guys.

Like all things, if you are good enough you'll rise to the top.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

It can work the opposite way though, Scott Quigg left Gallagher to go to Freddie Roaches gym and regressed as he was being used as a sparring partner for his best guys.

Like all things, if you are good enough you'll rise to the top.

I never rated Quigg. He was just one of those boxers with limited ability like crolla who were promoted way above their pay grade due to Gallagher and Sky having their fighters on lock with matchroom and could fill the MEN 

7 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I never rated Quigg. He was just one of those boxers with limited ability like crolla who were promoted way above their pay grade due to Gallagher and Sky having their fighters on lock with matchroom and could fill the MEN 

Well that's the key point. It doesn't make much difference if you're not good enough.

I'm not dismissing fighters to the US to enhance their game such as Fury going to Kronk but they have to be good in the first place. I don't think trainers are the problem in British boxing at the moment, it's just that there's a lull in talent for some reason. Out of all the prospects, you'd say Okolie has the best chance of winning a world title which says it all really.

18 minutes ago, Elite said:

Well that's the key point. It doesn't make much difference if you're not good enough.

I'm not dismissing fighters to the US to enhance their game such as Fury going to Kronk but they have to be good in the first place. I don't think trainers are the problem in British boxing at the moment, it's just that there's a lull in talent for some reason. Out of all the prospects, you'd say Okolie has the best chance of winning a world title which says it all really.

Can only see the same outcome for Josh Warrington when one of the top ranked overseas fighters  get in the ring with him. Would a move away from the comfort zone of having his dad train him have him better prepared.  Read Frampton’s looking for one of the Charlo’s next. Can’t see him seeing the 6th round if he takes one of them on. 

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Can only see the same outcome for Josh Warrington when one of the top ranked overseas fighters  get in the ring with him. Would a move away from the comfort zone of having his dad train him have him better prepared.  Read Frampton’s looking for one of the Charlo’s next. Can’t see him seeing the 6th round if he takes one of them on. 

Frampton fighting the Charlos? That can't be be right, they are Middleweights.

Agree about Warrington though, he was lucky against Kid Galahad.