You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2020

Captain Turdseye

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Been watching a lot of old fights while on lockdown.  How the fuck did Holmes manage to get get and win after getting this sledgehammer to the head from Shavers? Tough bastard.

Yeah the ref waves fight off before he hits the deck in modern Boxing. Hard bastards back then. Hard hard bastards. 

The size and physique of them as well. You could easily take 10-15 fighters from the 70's and 80's who would be belt-holders today. 

• Upvote 2

Reports that Whyte and Chisora are considering MMA bouts while they wait for their Boxing matches to be arranged. Seems like an utterly stupid thing to try, though I do seem to recall the Whyte at least does have some kick boxing experience but he'll just get wrestled and/or submitted surely?

On 27/05/2020 at 21:41, KMD7 said:

Been watching a lot of old fights while on lockdown.  How the fuck did Holmes manage to get get and win after getting this sledgehammer to the head from Shavers? Tough bastard.

Freaks my nut out to this day that Earnie Shavers was a bouncer at Yates Wine Lodge. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Freaks my nut out to this day that Earnie Shavers was a bouncer at Yates Wine Lodge. 

Was on a speaking tour and got friendly with a lady from the Wirral and moved here from the US. 

Was such a nice bloke on the door in Yates. Shook his hand once or twice and it was like a baseball mitt.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Reports that Whyte and Chisora are considering MMA bouts while they wait for their Boxing matches to be arranged. Seems like an utterly stupid thing to try, though I do seem to recall the Whyte at least does have some kick boxing experience but he'll just get wrestled and/or submitted surely?

They could have an “MMA” match against another boxer with an understanding that neither of them know any martial arts. That would be ace. Tiny gloves and if one of them tries to clinch, they can still get punched or just thrown off to continue taking a beating. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'd watch that. Cant stand either but I'd fully expect Chisora to absolutely batter Whyte in a proper fight. 

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd watch that. Cant stand either but I'd fully expect Chisora to absolutely batter Whyte in a proper fight. 

Not with each other but with MMA fighters. The beeb said Whyte was potentially fighting that muscle on muscle grock Ngannou. I know fuck all about MMA but it's going to be 10 times the mismatch Mayweather Vs McGregor was, surely?

24 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Not with each other but with MMA fighters. The beeb said Whyte was potentially fighting that muscle on muscle grock Ngannou. I know fuck all about MMA but it's going to be 10 times the mismatch Mayweather Vs McGregor was, surely?

Oh. 

Its a load of bollocks all that cross codes shit. An MMA/UFC fighter beats a boxer at their rules and vice versa. McGregor wasn't that bad Boxing wise to be fair but Mayweather could have ended that in 2 rounds if he really wanted. 

That said if they wanna stick Whyte in with Jon Jones in the octagon then I'll be tuning in. 

I watched this the other night, analysing George Foreman. From 18.10 onwards it explains the tactics Foreman used in beating Michael Moorer to win the title back. Its absolutely amazing, I wont spoil it though.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, A Red said:

I watched this the other night, analysing George Foreman. From 18.10 onwards it explains the tactics Foreman used in beating Michael Moorer to win the title back. Its absolutely amazing, I wont spoil it though.

Good watch that. I started on 15 minutes and caught the end of the Holyfield fight. That last punch from Foreman looked effortless. Thats why when you get a cocky twat in the pub you always back the older man who puts his pet down and goes "back in a minute". 

Tactics wise though the fella is talking like its some sort of hidden art. Its the absolute standard of round to round boxing. First thing you get taught as a kid is you aren't winning the first 3 rounds and if you do then fine but don't go looking for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2020 at 22:31, A Red said:

Been watching this guy analysing fights for a while now. Check out the frazier foreman, ali foreman and the ali frazier fights. Yeah he's brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Haha, fucksake he reeled off some names there, it's his   size that would cause problems to anyone but maybe a crack of Ken Norton, Ernie Shavers would give him something to think about as the canvas approached.