You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2020

Captain Turdseye

A fully fit and focused BJS would have a chance against Canelo at 160 (with fair judges).

I'm not sure about 168 though. I think he's a middleweight who is clearly too lazy so moved up. I think it will be a close enough fight if Saunders can do the 12.

If not, he's in big trouble in the championship rounds.

Can't help worrying that despite the competition win , Callum Smith's career seems to have really slowed down. He had 5 fights in 13 months after the Fielding bout and then 5 fights in the 3 and a half years since , with only really the Groves fight being a must-see. He is 30 next month.

ps Just had a quick look at his official website to see if there was any info and it is showing his next upcoming fight as the John Ryder one and the latest 'news' post as his heartbreak after Real Madrid in Kiev !! from 2018

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Can't help worrying that despite the competition win , Callum Smith's career seems to have really slowed down. He had 5 fights in 13 months after the Fielding bout and then 5 fights in the 3 and a half years since , with only really the Groves fight being a must-see. He is 30 next month.

He's being badly promoted by Hearn.

• Upvote 1

Saunders has long been in danger of his wasting his career, what with the lengthy periods of inactivity, 1 or 2 fights a year when he's young and being an absolute and utter fucking dickhead in general, but there's a bit of the Fury's about him in the sense he's one of those who'll only look better as his calibre of opponent rises.

Fury often used to look highly average when he was fighting average boxers, it's when he's stepped up in levels he's looked his best. I can see Saunders being much the same, not least because his focus has blatantly been terrible for much of his career but definitely won't be for this one. He doesn't "live the life" between fights as it is, let alone when there's been times he's clearly not fully committed to his camp and has looked sluggish and plodding against fighters not in his class.

Obviously it's about levels, but his training and focus was widely said to be absolutely spot on for the Lemieux camp when he was with Dominic Ingle's stable. While Lemieux is nowhere near Canelo's level, it's no coincidence that's considered Saunders best performance to date. Just can't see him not putting everything in and being at his very best and sharpest against Canelo, and, like Fury, he'll have been fighting since before he could walk. He's also been after this or GGG for about 3 years and you could see how demotivated he was to take other fights instead.

I think he'll put on a very good account of himself and surprise a lot of people, performance-wise. And I say that as someone who'd love to see him get wiped out.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Saunders has long been in danger of his wasting his career, what with the lengthy periods of inactivity, 1 or 2 fights a year when he's young and being an absolute and utter fucking dickhead in general, but there's a bit of the Fury's about him in the sense he's one of those who'll only look better as his calibre of opponent rises.

Fury often used to look highly average when he was fighting average boxers, it's when he's stepped up in levels he's looked his best. I can see Saunders being much the same, not least because his focus has blatantly been terrible for much of his career but definitely won't be for this one. He doesn't "live the life" between fights as it is, let alone when there's been times he's clearly not fully committed to his camp and has looked sluggish and plodding against fighters not in his class.

Obviously it's about levels, but his training and focus was widely said to be absolutely spot on for the Lemieux camp when he was with Dominic Ingle's stable. While Lemieux is nowhere near Canelo's level, it's no coincidence that's considered Saunders best performance to date. Just can't see him not putting everything in and being at his very best and sharpest against Canelo, and, like Fury, he'll have been fighting since before he could walk. He's also been after this or GGG for about 3 years and you could see how demotivated he was to take other fights instead.

I think he'll put on a very good account of himself and surprise a lot of people, performance-wise. And I say that as someone who'd love to see him get wiped out.

Agree with every single word. I said the same to the lads in our boxing group chat last night, albeit a much, much shorter version.

20200306_145432.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Quigg isn’t exactly the North Star, is he?

Hope he cleans this helmet out though.

Quiggs always looked the type that if he wasn't a fighters he would be nicking kids bikes out of people sheds

If someone could knock this pled of a ring announcer out to please. 

Love how on some cards he does the whole thing and Buffer just turns up for the main event and pushed him out the way. Then get paid 10x what he does