You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2020

Captain Turdseye

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah because being a WWF wrestler is so good for mental health. Its not like half our favourites from the 90's haven't killed themselves and the other half aren't genuine maniacs or anything. 

Most of them died through a mixture of 1980s Roids mixed with  painkillers, coke and alcohol mix after years on the road

38 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Almost straight away. I’d normally underlay something like that for a free shot at more money, part lay it or in some cases not lay it at all but it was pretty obvious that Fury wasn’t gonna knock him out...

Underlay underlay arrreeeeba

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah because being a WWF wrestler is so good for mental health. Its not like half our favourites from the 90's haven't killed themselves and the other half aren't genuine maniacs or anything. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Seems legit

Screenshot_20200224-220413.png

Was bound to happen.... might be his last big payday.

See a lot of posters having a go at the ref. I thought he did a good job.

Showed his years of experience and a champion always gets a bit of leniency shown at times in big fights, especially in regards to a stoppage. Was staring into Wilder's soul for about 3 rounds to check the lights were still on..

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd rather they didn't fight again. Fury is the better fighter. Its done. I just want Fury to end Joshua in the UK then retire. Its not even the fight i'm arsed about but the build-up. 

Thing is Wilder doesn't have much choice unless he wants to retire. 

No top heavyweight will fight him now. He's too much of a risk without a belt on the line. Hearn won't let anyone near him, say what you like about him but the old 'punchers chance' doesn't fit anyone better than him. 

He needs the rematch 

He also needs to stop the shit. 

Just come out and say Fury busting his ear drum fuck with his balance and even debilitated by that Fury couldn't knock me out. It was a corner stoppage, I didn't quit and was on my feet. Plays far more to a narrative to a rematch than my stupid ring entrance cost me the fight. Fuck if you can't handle a 45lb bit of costume for 20 mins then you shouldn't wear it. Fuck sake anyone that's done any military training has carted a 40 plus pound bergen round for hours on end. 

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thing is Wilder doesn't have much choice unless he wants to retire. 

No top heavyweight will fight him now. He's too much of a risk without a belt on the line. Hearn won't let anyone near him, say what you like about him but the old 'punchers chance' doesn't fit anyone better than him. 

He needs the rematch 

He also needs to stop the shit. 

Just come out and say Fury busting his ear drum fuck with his balance and even debilitated by that Fury couldn't knock me out. It was a corner stoppage, I didn't quit and was on my feet. Plays far more to a narrative to a rematch than my stupid ring entrance cost me the fight. Fuck if you can't handle a 45lb bit of costume for 20 mins then you shouldn't wear it. Fuck sake anyone that's done any military training has carted a 40 plus pound bergen round for hours on end. 

I agree mate. Its a shame its written into the contract because it won't get anywhere near the figures for the other night. Wilder has been webbed twice. Second time badly. He took a serious hiding, ok he didn't get knocked out but he can't possibly be honest with himself and say he had any success in that fight. Fury was out on the ale while he was still on his back in his dressing room asking what the fuck just happened. 

20 minutes ago, J-V said:

Wasn't it a cut in his ear not his ear drum bursting.

I don't even want Fury to fight Joshua.  Would prefer Wilder vs Joshua.

Except there’s literally no reason for Joshua to fight Wilder. Why would Joshua risk it? Wilder might not be a good boxer but he has an unbelievable right hand, and no belts. It’s got to be Fury. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Kinda feel for Dillian Whyte a bit, who else is there left for him to beat for him to get his title shot? Now he's down the pecking order again

He is the mandatory to fight Fury so will get his shot sometime soon. 

I think Fury should fight Joshua then Whyte vs Wilder.

The Athletic story. No excuses though. 

An impassioned Deontay Wilder declared Monday that he will exercise his rematch clause for a summer trilogy fight against Tyson Fury, insistent that his technical-knockout loss to the Englishman on Saturday was the result of situations that will not occur again.

“The rematch is definitely going to happen,” Wilder told The Athletic in his first public comments since he left MGM Grand Garden Arena. “We’re going to get it on. I want to get right back to it.”

Fury’s seventh-round TKO victory was sealed when Wilder’s assistant trainer, former welterweight world champion Mark Breland, threw in the towel during a Fury flurry with Wilder on the ropes. He had been knocked down twice previously. Wilder was upset with the decision, questioning Breland’s thought process in the moment. He told The Athletic that he is considering removing Breland from his corner moving forward.

Wilder said another major contributor to his first-ever loss was weakened legs caused by his walkout outfit. The steel costume he wore in honor of Black History Month, according to Wilder, weighed more than 40 pounds.

“A lot of people saw I wasn’t the same Deontay Wilder in there and they’re correct,” Wilder said. “It’s my own fault. My uniform I wore was very heavy for me. I had no legs from the first round on.

“My main focus was to survive with my legs, and not on the principles I know and normally think of. I couldn’t follow up with the game plan because of my legs. I couldn’t do anything.”

“My uniform I wore was very heavy for me. I had no legs from the first round on.” – Deontay Wilder

Wilder said he never tested walking around in the costume before strapping on the hooded garb equipped with red LED lights for eyes. He wore it for the first time as he paced around his locker room as Fury conducted his own elaborate entrance by sitting in a king’s robe and crown on a rolling throne.

Wilder said he began to experience discomfort while waiting for Fury to reach the ring.

“I didn’t expect it to be that heavy and have that effect on me,” Wilder said. “That’s the thing we didn’t test out: walking to the ring. We didn’t time it right. It’s all my fault. It’s a learning process. I really admire Black History Month, and I wanted to pay tribute to all the men and women who came before me, and I risked that over my title. They died for me, they paved the way for me.

“Now, I’ll pick myself up, just like from where I’ve started. Some people don’t know how to get up, but for everyone looking over me and supporting me, I’m showing them the way. I’m allowing them to live through my life — win, lose or draw — and this is the start of a major comeback right here. I’m in great spirits, great health and I’m ready to go.”

Wilder wanted to make it clear that he respects what Fury accomplished in the ring Saturday night. Fury returned as champion for the first time since taking three belts from Wladimir Klitschko in 2015. He then lost those belts by falling into a vicious tailspin of depression, accompanied by substance, alcohol and food abuse.

“I’m not bitter. I’m happy for Tyson Fury. I’m happy for his journey and what he’s doing in his career,” Wilder said. “We all aim to reach our goals. I’ll reach mine. It’s just that it’s never on our own time. It’s his time now. Congratulations to him.”

As he suffered through the weakened legs, Wilder said, he grew dismayed by veteran referee Kenny Bayless’ reluctance to confront Fury over punches that Wilder said struck him on the back of the head and neck.

“Bayless had come in my dressing room, looked me in my eyes and said if I hit Fury in the back of the head – rabbit punch – or hit off of the break, he would disqualify me or deduct two points from me,” Wilder said. “I guess those rules just applied to me because they didn’t apply to my opponent. (Fury) hit me in the back of the neck and the head all night and Bayless didn’t do anything about it, to the point I got lumps and bruises. That was a thing that was very frustrating to me.”

Fury did get one point deducted in the fifth round, re-agitating Wilder.

“Why are you taking a point now when he’s been doing this all through the fight?” Wilder said he roared to Bayless. “What happened to that speech? What happened to that disqualification? All those things you said you’d do to me?”

While some speculated a cut inside his ear was a burst eardrum, Wilder said it was those Fury blows to the head that resulted in his equilibrium being altered.

“When I fell the first time, when he hit me in the back of the head, I turned around and held up my arms to the ref … by the third round, my legs were really shot,” Wilder said. “The way I was hitting the mitts and training, I was more prepared for this fight than anything. The only thing I was not prepared to do was fight on wobbly legs.”

After getting dropped by a body shot in the fifth, Wilder was in dire condition after the sixth round, leaning with closed eyes toward head trainer Jay Deas, blood trickling from his ear, raising questions if the bout would end there.

Wilder manager Shelly Finkel had previously yelled at Breland not to consider throwing in the towel.

When Fury found Wilder in the seventh, delivering a power right hand to the face, Breland threw in the towel. Bayless surged in to stop the punishment on the 34-year-old father of eight children, who remains in position for continued rich purses.

Wilder understands Breland, as a former fighter himself, was looking out for those interests when he chose to end the fight.

“I understand — it’s an emotional decision — but that’s not his position,” Wilder said. “I’m not being emotional now. For many, many years, I have talked about this to my team.

“They know my demeanor, my warrior mindset and if I say I’m going in there to try to kill a man like I have, I accept that in return: he will have to kill me as well. I’ve told them many times that if anyone throws the towel in on me, there will be consequences.”

Wilder is planning a vacation to Africa in March. When he returns, he said, he will determine Breland’s fate.

“We love Mark to death and he’ll always be part of the team,” Wilder said. “I understand they don’t want me to get hurt, but I was in more danger when I got buzzed against (Luis) Ortiz (in my first fight) than I was in this one,” Wilder said. “Jay told him not to (throw in the towel). Jay is the first. Mark did it anyway.

“I still had my senses. Fury’s blows don’t hurt. I just didn’t have the legs at all to get out of the way and to show people I was still a warrior who was still going to fight.”

When watching other fights where a trainer threw in a towel, Wilder said he’d remind his cornermen not to do it.

“That’s why I’ve done things now for my kids, to set life up for them, to build for them, because we never know what can happen in the ring,” he said. “When that time comes and things look a certain way, I don’t want people to panic. I want them to let me go out on my shield. This is an individual choice. I’ve made it myself. My wishes are to go out on my shield, whether I get hurt or die. My wishes are my wishes. I’d rather die in the ring than get the towel thrown in.”

Taking that punishment, suffering that first loss has been painful. Wilder got on the telephone with his father, preacher Gary Wilder, on Sunday and they prayed together. The elder Wilder said he hadn’t consoled his son that way since he was in grade school.

The pride of Tuscaloosa, Ala., has long been forced through a demanding life. He was raised in the poor section of town after Gary Wilder’s wife left him when Deontay was a 9-year-old. Later, at 19, he walked into a boxing gym in hopes of earning enough money to pay for the medical bills of his first daughter, who was born with the debilitating condition spina bifida.

“It never will be easy for me,” he said. “I’ve had a lot of things going against me, but I want people to see what I do with my life. I want them to live through me and see you can still stay motivated and encouraged even after defeat. Defeat doesn’t define you. It’s not going to define me. I’m going to come back better and stronger. I’m going to learn from my mistakes.”

Instead of perhaps taking a lesser fight next and allowing Fury to pursue a monumental showdown against his U.K. rival and three-belt champion Antony Joshua, Wilder wants to reunite with his belt and avenge the loss. He knocked down the “Gypsy King” twice in their first fight in December 2018 and is optimistic about the third matchup.

“I want to get right back into the rematch for sure because we all saw in the first fight, when I had my legs, I was the more aggressive guy,” Wilder said. “Deontay Wilder, you can never count me out, from the first round until the end. So I’m going to take the rematch, and I look forward to winning it.”

• Upvote 1