You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Seventies

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

I never bothered with Led Zep for years as I thought they were just some prog rock big band on the strength of this, not realising that the TOTP tune was by the BBC orchestra/ CCS. Listening to their first couple of albums properly when I was in my early 20s at uni was pretty mindblowing...

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I never bothered with Led Zep for years as I thought they were just some prog rock big band on the strength of this, not realising that the TOTP tune was by the BBC orchestra/ CCS. Listening to their first couple of albums properly when I was in my early 20s at uni was pretty mindblowing...

I always thought CCS ripped off the King Curtis cover version but now that I think about it, I'm not sure which one came first...

Edit - just checked & the CCS version was 1970, King Curtis didn't record it until '71.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I always thought CCS ripped off the King Curtis cover version but now that I think about it, I'm not sure which one came first...

According to Wikipedia, the CCS cover was at least released first- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Lotta_Love#Appearances_and_covers

Apparently, the TOTP version was performed by the BBC orchestra with CCS members also playing so they could avoid having to pay royalties.

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2020 at 20:32, Mook said:

Speaking of The Osmonds...

This just fucking baffles me; a bunch of couldn't be more white god squad dorks who dance like a bladdered dad at a wedding make one of the most rock and roll songs of the 70s. There was a time I would have genuinely believed this had come from AC\DC if someone had told me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The best Slade song

Has anyone seen Noddy Holder recently? He was on that Would I Lie To You? the other week. he looks boss!  

He is boss, not something I’d put on when I’ve had a few these days but then I grew up with Slade until the advent of Pot and the Doobies etc , all change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, redheart said:

This was made for kids....kids!!

Live not far away from Avebury where it was filmed and go there quite a bit.

Always think about this series when I'm there... it must have had a big effect on me as a kid

15 hours ago, skaro said:

This was from the 60s, I think - Dutch - but when I first watched it in the 70s, it frightened the life out of me:

I heard of it as a kid because family friends had a son named Paul and they called him 'Paulus the Wood Gnome' aka 'Woody' and its stuck with him right up into his 50s. 

On 17/01/2020 at 22:47, Remmie said:

This just fucking baffles me; a bunch of couldn't be more white god squad dorks who dance like a bladdered dad at a wedding make one of the most rock and roll songs of the 70s. There was a time I would have genuinely believed this had come from AC\DC if someone had told me

Brilliant tune, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band covered it as well, which tells you all you need to know