Quantcast
Neil Peart RIP - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
redinblack62

Neil Peart RIP

Recommended Posts

On 12/01/2020 at 09:00, VladimirIlyich said:

If it hadn't have have been for Trailer Park boys I'd never have heard of him. I'm sure he was very good at his job.

Never been into Rush and only heard the odd track years ago, but apparently he was known as the Professor by David Grolch , if I’ve spelt it right, as it’s who they all learnt off.

Full page Obituary in the Times today, had some extreme right wings views though of which he later distanced himself from later it said, apart from that he seemed ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he was known as the professor due to the technical nuture of his drumming more than anything else.

 

As for right wing views, if you had to tour the World with Geddy Lee you might feel the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m reading his book Ghost Rider: Tales from the open road’ at the moment and I’m not getting any Right Wing viewpoints in it.

 

He is snarling at everyone if anything, but that’s probably due to it being written after his Daughter, Wife and Dog died all within about a year and he’s majorly fucked off, quit Rush and buggered off on his motorbike.

 

I’d recommend the book anyway, good read. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mook said:

I think he was known as the professor due to the technical nuture of his drumming more than anything else.

 

As for right wing views, if you had to tour the World with Geddy Lee you might feel the same.

Yes that’s what I meant , his drumming ability.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mook said:

I looked up these right wing views & found this interview from 1978, fucking Hell...

 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/13/rush-nme-interview-1978-rocks-backpages

 

Illuminating read that, never really listened to rush, and only awareness of them was a classic albums episode, Geddy came across as a bit off, and I thought the music was a bit wank.

wonder how many of the brexit crew were fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Illuminating read that, never really listened to rush, and only awareness of them was a classic albums episode, Geddy came across as a bit off, and I thought the music was a bit wank.

wonder how many of the brexit crew were fans.

If the music is good, it's good even if a nazi made it in my opinion.

 

I have three early Rush albums, mainly bought them for Peart's drumming, I've never really been able to get on board with Geddy Lee's singing. I was quite taken aback by that interview today when I read it but it wouldn't stop me listening to their music if I felt like putting it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mook said:

If the music is good, it's good even if a nazi made it in my opinion.

 

I have three early Rush albums, mainly bought them for Peart's drumming, I've never really been able to get on board with Geddy Lee's singing. I was quite taken aback by that interview today when I read it but it wouldn't stop me listening to their music if I felt like putting it on.

I’m not attacking anyone’s right to play their music, just pointing out I’d never really come across it, and when I did, I didn’t think much of it.

i do have issue with music made by people I don’t like, I’ve got a smart dj shadow / cut chemist tour tshirt with Afrika Bambaataa on the front, that I won’t wear anymore, same with an NGHFB tshirt, and I won’t listen to the pricks music now.

thats just me, a known awkward bastard.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mook said:

If the music is good, it's good even if a nazi made it in my opinion.

 

I have three early Rush albums, mainly bought them for Peart's drumming, I've never really been able to get on board with Geddy Lee's singing. I was quite taken aback by that interview today when I read it but it wouldn't stop me listening to their music if I felt like putting it on.

Is right , it’s what’s on vinyl that counts, couldn’t give a fuck about whoever's views or preferences . I find it mad that some cite John Lennon and liken him to some supreme being for instance, just a boss rock n roll artist no more no less and I couldn’t give a fuck about what he has to say off record, on record yes so that’s where it ends.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arthur friedenreich said:

I’m not attacking anyone’s right to play their music, just pointing out I’d never really come across it, and when I did, I didn’t think much of it.

i do have issue with music made by people I don’t like, I’ve got a smart dj shadow / cut chemist tour tshirt with Afrika Bambaataa on the front, that I won’t wear anymore, same with an NGHFB tshirt, and I won’t listen to the pricks music now.

thats just me, a known awkward bastard.

 

There's an awkward bastard in all of us, somewhere along the line mate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, skaro said:

 

There's an awkward bastard in all of us, somewhere along the line mate.

 

Yeah, mine is particularly prominent, as the missus’ mate just found out after spending a fortnight with us. Though I did teach her 11 year old how to tie his shoe laces, cook (hotdogs - wouldn’t eat much else bar McDonald’s), and how to sail a boat up the yarra (this went well until we lost the propeller. - felt a right twunt getting towed back up the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard this for the first time earlier, one of the most out there drum intros I’ve heard in terms of placements.

 

Had to play it a few times to make sense of it.

 

Not a bad way to announce your return to drumming after a few years off grieving.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×