You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neil Peart RIP

redinblack62

On 12/01/2020 at 09:00, VladimirIlyich said:

If it hadn't have have been for Trailer Park boys I'd never have heard of him. I'm sure he was very good at his job.

Never been into Rush and only heard the odd track years ago, but apparently he was known as the Professor by David Grolch , if I’ve spelt it right, as it’s who they all learnt off.

Full page Obituary in the Times today, had some extreme right wings views though of which he later distanced himself from later it said, apart from that he seemed ok.

I’m reading his book Ghost Rider: Tales from the open road’ at the moment and I’m not getting any Right Wing viewpoints in it.

He is snarling at everyone if anything, but that’s probably due to it being written after his Daughter, Wife and Dog died all within about a year and he’s majorly fucked off, quit Rush and buggered off on his motorbike.

I’d recommend the book anyway, good read. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mook said:

I looked up these right wing views & found this interview from 1978, fucking Hell...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/13/rush-nme-interview-1978-rocks-backpages

Illuminating read that, never really listened to rush, and only awareness of them was a classic albums episode, Geddy came across as a bit off, and I thought the music was a bit wank.

wonder how many of the brexit crew were fans.

1 minute ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Illuminating read that, never really listened to rush, and only awareness of them was a classic albums episode, Geddy came across as a bit off, and I thought the music was a bit wank.

wonder how many of the brexit crew were fans.

If the music is good, it's good even if a nazi made it in my opinion.

I have three early Rush albums, mainly bought them for Peart's drumming, I've never really been able to get on board with Geddy Lee's singing. I was quite taken aback by that interview today when I read it but it wouldn't stop me listening to their music if I felt like putting it on.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I have three early Rush albums, mainly bought them for Peart's drumming, I've never really been able to get on board with Geddy Lee's singing. I was quite taken aback by that interview today when I read it but it wouldn't stop me listening to their music if I felt like putting it on.

I’m not attacking anyone’s right to play their music, just pointing out I’d never really come across it, and when I did, I didn’t think much of it.

i do have issue with music made by people I don’t like, I’ve got a smart dj shadow / cut chemist tour tshirt with Afrika Bambaataa on the front, that I won’t wear anymore, same with an NGHFB tshirt, and I won’t listen to the pricks music now.

thats just me, a known awkward bastard.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Is right , it’s what’s on vinyl that counts, couldn’t give a fuck about whoever's views or preferences . I find it mad that some cite John Lennon and liken him to some supreme being for instance, just a boss rock n roll artist no more no less and I couldn’t give a fuck about what he has to say off record, on record yes so that’s where it ends.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, arthur friedenreich said:

I’m not attacking anyone’s right to play their music, just pointing out I’d never really come across it, and when I did, I didn’t think much of it.

i do have issue with music made by people I don’t like, I’ve got a smart dj shadow / cut chemist tour tshirt with Afrika Bambaataa on the front, that I won’t wear anymore, same with an NGHFB tshirt, and I won’t listen to the pricks music now.

thats just me, a known awkward bastard.

There's an awkward bastard in all of us, somewhere along the line mate.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

There's an awkward bastard in all of us, somewhere along the line mate.

Yeah, mine is particularly prominent, as the missus’ mate just found out after spending a fortnight with us. Though I did teach her 11 year old how to tie his shoe laces, cook (hotdogs - wouldn’t eat much else bar McDonald’s), and how to sail a boat up the yarra (this went well until we lost the propeller. - felt a right twunt getting towed back up the river.