You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mane full of pride in winning African Footballer of the year for 2019

TLW

Sadio Mane has spoken about his great pride in winning the 2019 African footballer of the year.

Mane defeated his Reds teammate Mo Salah with Man City midfielder Riyad Mahrez coming in third place.

The forward had finished runner-up to Salah in the previous two seasons, but in 2019 his consistent form was too difficult to overlook.

In all Mane scored 32 goals in 53 appearances in the past calendar year in which he shared the Premier League golden boot with Salah while also playing a major role in Liverpool claiming the European Super Cup and Club World Cup.

The value of Mane to the side has been widely noted with some astute judges even saying that he is the most important player in the Liverpool squad.

The humble superstar spoke upon accepting the award as the Echo reported:

mane4_600.jpg

“To be honest, I would rather be playing football than having to speak in front of all these important people because football is my job and I love it.

“I am really happy and at the same time really proud to win this award.

"I would like to thank my family, especially my uncle who is here today, without forgetting all the Egyptian people as well and of course my national team coach, (former Birmingham City and Portsmouth midfielder) Aliou Cisse, my team mates with the national team and the staff at the Federation.

"I also thank Liverpool Football club, my teammates, the staff and everybody there.

“It is a big day for me.. I don't really know how to say it but I would love to thank all the Senegalese people. 

“They have been with me all the time and they push me to do better.

“Also the people from my village.. I have come very far, Bambali is a very small village and I am sure they are watching on the tv.

“I am really happy and very proud to win this"

Major congratulations Sadio and keep up the fine work.

View full article