You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst you've ever felt after a defeat?

Sugar Ape

On 09/01/2020 at 01:15, Crazy Dave said:

One of the lowest was the 4-2 FA Cup exit to Chelsea back in 1997. 2-0 up at half-time and missed loads of chances to kill it. Then Chelsea bring on Mark Hughes and he proceeds to beat the utter shit out of our cowardly backline while Zola and Vialli scored the goals. 

3-0 away to PSG in the same season. Cup winners cup semi-final first leg and we were absolutely atrocious. The end of the 3-5-2 and John Barnes's Liverpool career. 

3-0 away to Strasbourg the following season. Much worse than PSG, at least they had the likes of Rai. Genuinely haven't read a thing about Strasbourg ever since so maybe they're in the lower echelons of the French leagues these days. Bet they still talk about the time they smashed Liverpool 3-0. 

Also, a 2-1 defeat to some fucking no-mark French 4th division side on the same night United turned it around 3-2 in Turin back in 1999. Never had the gap felt as large as it did that night. 

Our European campaigns in the 90s after returning from the ban were painful. I'm sure it was amusing for the Europeans seeing the once-mighty Liverpool getting beat by no-mark teams season after season. Losing to Brondby was one of the worst matches I can recall. Strasbourg is another horror show. Roy Evans was totally out of his depth in Europe. One of the things I'll always be grateful to Houllier was establishing us a decent side in European competition again.

• Upvote 1

The 1996 Cup final was the worst. 1989 against Arsenal was crap, but I consoled myself that it was a blip, which is what it looked like a year later when Liverpool cruised to the title. 2014 against Chelsea and Palace were also crap - I didn't get a wink of sleep either night - but I was old enough to compartmentalise the disappointment. Stay away from the press and the internet, the feeling faded pretty quickly. But 1996 felt like, and I'm only making the connection as I write it and realise it's a bit perverse, how the Bloos must have felt on Sunday. Now we show them who's boss! A glorious future awaits! And we saw who was boss, and for whom a glorious future awaited - it was for them. 

1996 was annoying partly because we battered them twice in the league that season. Ok we drew at OT but we were by far the better team and were robbed by the ref, and we beat them easily at Anfield. The performance in the final was appalling and didn't see it coming after our league performances against them that season. 

21 minutes ago, Baltar said:

1996 was annoying partly because we battered them twice in the league that season. Ok we drew at OT but we were by far the better team and were robbed by the ref, and we beat them easily at Anfield. The performance in the final was appalling and didn't see it coming after our league performances against them that season. 

I don't think that 1996 vintage would ever be described as mentality monsters.

Chelsea 14, Athens 07 and Kiev are standouts, but the worst I ever felt personally was probably the away defeat to City in the league last year, out sole league defeat all season. 

Everything from the clearance off the line to the Kompany red card went right for them and after it, there was a gnawing sense of inevitability that they were going to pip us no matter what we did.

96 cup final and the 2 palace games are the worst. Outside of those I remember been fit to explode when we lost early in the season at Bolton, it was a Monday night mid 2000's and it was confirmation we were still shit. Losing 1 nil Barnsley at home and 4-3 away to Leeds also stick in the graw. 

On 09/01/2020 at 01:15, Crazy Dave said:

One of the lowest was the 4-2 FA Cup exit to Chelsea back in 1997. 2-0 up at half-time and missed loads of chances to kill it. Then Chelsea bring on Mark Hughes and he proceeds to beat the utter shit out of our cowardly backline while Zola and Vialli scored the goals. 

I remember that and I'm still ashamed by my reaction, I smashed my Nana's walking stick repeatedly on the living room windowsill until it snapped in half in a shower of splinters.

Not my finest hour.

Losing the title to Arsenal in 89 with that Michael Thomas headstand goal, after everything which had gone before that season, that was just too much for me. I threw a kitchen chair down down a flight of stairs and smashed a hallway mirror into smithereens.

Not my finest hour.

I maintain to this day however that Arsenal's first goal that day went directly in from an indirect free kick and it should have been disallowed and retaken. That officiating ultimately cost us the league title.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Losing the title to Arsenal in 89 with that Michael Thomas headstand goal, after everything which had gone before that season, that was just too much for me. I threw a kitchen chair down down a flight of stairs and smashed a hallway mirror into smithereens.

Not my finest hour.

I maintain to this day however that Arsenal's first goal that day went directly in from an indirect free kick and it should have been disallowed and retaken. That officiating ultimately cost us the league title.

Indeed. We also had an insane amount of games to play in May of that season which made things as hard as possible. We actually won all of them apart from a draw against the Bitters and that defeat against Arsenal at home. I was certain after the run we had put together that the title was ours, I'd more or less convinced myself. Ah well, at least we beat our City rivals in the Cup final. A weird season full of heartache due to the obvious.  

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Indeed. We also had an insane amount of games to play in May of that season which made things as hard as possible. We actually won all of them apart from a draw against the Bitters and that defeat against Arsenal at home. I was certain after the run we had put together that the title was ours, I'd more or less convinced myself. Ah well, at least we beat our City rivals in the Cup final shortly after. 

We actually beat Everton before the Arsenal game.

Roy Evan's team getting beaten 2-0 at home by fucking Derby County was soul destroying and signified another false dawn.

I was in the Anny Road that miserable fucking dark wintery night, and faced a long drive back home to fucking Teesside.

Shuffling along the Anny Road immediately after the game I was behind a few local lads, none of whom seemed in the slightest bit arsed about it, on the contrary they were laughing and joking about some party they were off to that night.

That was the moment when I realised that neither locality nor geography were the barometer which defines each of us as fans, it's actually how much it hurts us after we get beaten.

Fucking Derby fucking County.

The barmy summer of 1977 and those spawny fucking Manc cunts fluke the FA Cup after that pernicious little sweaty dwarf cunt gnome Lou Macari farts in a preposterous winner off his fat cunt backside. 42 years later I still cannot believe that happened but I learned a couple of vital life lessons that day - ALL MANCS ARE CUNTS and I HATE MAN UNITED, HATE THEM.

I was only 7 years old then but I vividly remember what I did at the final whistle, I went outside into the front garden and hit Big Mongy, the kid next door over the head with a stick before going on a rampage and tearing down my little orange tent which had been pitched in the garden. I then crawled inside the collapsed tent, sitting there underneath the orange canvass and crying confusing tears of anger, frustration, helplessness and hatred.

Those feelings still remain.

Not my finest hour.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Indeed. We also had an insane amount of games to play in May of that season which made things as hard as possible. We actually won all of them apart from a draw against the Bitters and that defeat against Arsenal at home. I was certain after the run we had put together that the title was ours, I'd more or less convinced myself. Ah well, at least we beat our City rivals in the Cup final shortly after. 

We played West Ham a few days before and absolutely humped them 5-1, with Leroy Rosenior scoring an injury time consolation for them. However, without that goal it would've meant that Arsenal would've needed to beat us by 3 goals in that final game and ultimately we would've won the title.

Fucking Leroy fucking Rosenior, to this day I hate that bastard.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

We played West Ham a few days before and absolutely humped them 5-1, with Leroy Rosenior scoring an injury time consolation for them. However, without that goal it would've meant that Arsenal would've needed to beat us by 3 goals in that final game and ultimately we would've won the title.

Fucking Leroy fucking Rosenior, to this day I hate that bastard.

Yeah, all small margins mate. Cunts. 

1985 European Cup final v Juventus.

I remember watching on the telly and being incredibly pissed off by the running pitch battles beforehand.

I remember that fat cunt Terry Venables bursting into laughter on the telly when a Juventus hooligan libbed a fucking house brich which bounced off a copper's head.

I remember the match itself being utter shite but us being the better side with Juve being snide, cheating cunts.

And I remember feeling sick when that garlic reeking fop haired shithouse Michelle P!atini scored a wholly undeserved winner to depose us as Champions of Europe.

At full time I went outside in repeatedly booted my Nana's front gate until it fell off its hinges. It didn't make me feel any better.

Not my finest hour.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

1985 European Cup final v Juventus.

I remember watching on the telly and being incredibly pissed off by the running pitch battles beforehand.

I remember that fat cunt Terry Venables bursting into laughter on the telly when a Juventus hooligan libbed a fucking house brich which bounced off a copper's head.

I remember the match itself being utter shite but us being the better side with Juve being snide, cheating cunts.

And I remember feeling sick when that garlic reeking fop haired shithouse Michelle P!atini scored a wholly undeserved winner to depose us as Champions of Europe.

At full time I went outside in repeatedly booted my Nana's front gate until it fell off its hinges. It didn't make me feel any better.

Not my finest hour.

I was in Canada for all of 85 and the fuckers didn't show the final, they showed the F.A cup final though between the Mancs and Everton, went for a commercial break during the match, fucking funerals as well, when they returned Whiteside had scored the only goal. Anyway, the European Cup final was down to listening to updates via radio and phoning home, what transpired was relayed via phone and at least I was spared watching it all unfold live. 

A few other ones. We got beat by Sunderland 2-1 in 2002. Really shit game and more evidence of our decline under Houllier. Felt depressing that we were getting beat by shit teams. My uncle, who ironically was from Sunderland died shortly after the game after he had been in hospital for a couple of weeks. I was seeing some Evertonian bird at the time and she text me the next day laughing about the game and I told her to fuck off as my uncle had died the night before. Then the cheeky bitch demanded an apology off me. Which she never got. 

The 1996 FA cup final was awful, I was working in a restaurant the night of the game but had been out most of the day drinking in the pub. We had watched the 1995 final in the same pub with a load of Evertonians and actually cheered them beating the Mancs. However they decided to support the Mancs and a few fights broke out, notably someone threw a stool at the big screen when they were goading us in front of it. My brother had got a ticket for his birthday and had been looking forward to the game since he got it. He was up dead early and came home almost in tears. I felt so sorry for him when he got home. 

I was 9 when Heysel happened and had been looking forward to it all day, me and my brother went mad and decorated the front of the house with flags and banners. A few of my dads mates came round to watch the game, always remember Souness being a pundit and looking shocked. The game seemed to be a blur with nothing of incident apart from their penalty and our one that we should have got. Even though I was 9 I was aware that some people were dead or seriously injured and couldn't believe Platini ran round like a madman when he scored the penalty. It just felt horrible losing but then I quickly realised that it was more serious. 

Also, getting beat by utter shit like Strasbourg, Celta Vigo and Brondby in Europe was depressing and a million miles away from where we are now.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Another few results I can think of was in January of 2007. Missus had been in Hospital for the last 5 weeks of her pregnancy with our youngest son and Arsenal knocked us out of the F.A cup at Anfield and then a few days later out of the League Cup beating us 6-3 at Anfield again. That was the 9th of January 2007, the day our son was born, so all in all a mixed day. I remember getting a parking ticket as well, but went back into the hospital to explain things and the birth of my son, so they let me off.