You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst you've ever felt after a defeat?

Sugar Ape

While the manner of the Chelsea defeat in 2014 was awful (especially when knowing it was Gerrard's last chance at the title) the defeats you feel in your youth are incredibly stinging, in the 90's our mecurial/ineffectual side served up loads of these for me; 1994 Bristol City fucking Tinnion 0-1, 1995 Klinsmann's Spurs later winner at Anfield 1-2, 1995 0-1 to Brondby at home and that bawbag Dan Eggen, 1996 Cantona ruining my day 0-1 (actually cried at that), 1997 Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge where we had been 0-2 up at half time with the cunt Motson squealing with delight throughout the entire second half capitulation.

Because most of these occurred in the FA cup* I still have a serious disdain for the competition, combined with being brought up north of the boarder meant I never really got the sycophantic infatuation 'with the romance of the cup' that many down here have, I've actively rejoiced in it's denigration and generally I'm far more interested in the League Cup, to the point where I'd rather Liverpool win the latter competition.

*probably was pinning more hopes on the cups as we were further away in the league

Obvious for me is 2014 Vs Chelsea

Less obviously, PSG in the 1997 Cup Winners Cup semi final stands out in my mind, down 3-0 from the first leg, second leg at Anfield, an early fowler goal gives me some hope, then Wright gets a second with about 10 minutes to go gets me all excited, but the third never comes. Deflated isn't the word, and I still hate the French cunts to this day. 

And not a defeat but the 1-1 with Chelsea at home in 1998 left me feeling sick. 

Most have been mentioned,but Brighton in the FA cup in 1984.Two years running they knocked us out,both on Sundays.

Losing two nil at home to Sheffield Wednesday later that year (Bruce gave away both goals) meant that going into the classroom on the Monday was abit daunting due to the expected (they didn't let me down!) piss taking from the Owls fans and the Blades aswell,for that matter.

Also losing the 2003 UEFA cup quarter final 2nd leg 0-2 to Celtic at Anfield.

Arsenal 89. Just before my 14th birthday. After everything that had happened I couldn’t believe it would end in that way. Niagra falls. Seeing my old man with tears in his eyes summed it up. 

Munsters 96. The worst final ever against that fucking lot and that collared twat scored a goal that our players did their best to avoid. This was pure anger as one of our most talented 11’s froze on the big occasion.

Palace 14. Yes the damage was done the week before but I still believed it was written in the stars and when we went 3 up I felt we had momentum back. And then we capitulated. It was the only time in 13 years of marriage the wife actually left me alone after the final whistle to my own thoughts. I just led there on the living room floor for over an hour looking at the ceiling silently. Equally gutted as my eldest was about to witness his first league title. 

Kiev 18 - watched it at Anfield with 2 of my 3 boys. I was gutted more for them as I desperately wanted them to see us win the “big one” and their first real trophy win. Never forget the language of my eldest towards Ramos...

Would have finished with City v Leicester but 24 hours later put that to bed...

• Upvote 1

One of the lowest was the 4-2 FA Cup exit to Chelsea back in 1997. 2-0 up at half-time and missed loads of chances to kill it. Then Chelsea bring on Mark Hughes and he proceeds to beat the utter shit out of our cowardly backline while Zola and Vialli scored the goals. 

3-0 away to PSG in the same season. Cup winners cup semi-final first leg and we were absolutely atrocious. The end of the 3-5-2 and John Barnes's Liverpool career. 

3-0 away to Strasbourg the following season. Much worse than PSG, at least they had the likes of Rai. Genuinely haven't read a thing about Strasbourg ever since so maybe they're in the lower echelons of the French leagues these days. Bet they still talk about the time they smashed Liverpool 3-0. 

Also, a 2-1 defeat to some fucking no-mark French 4th division side on the same night United turned it around 3-2 in Turin back in 1999. Never had the gap felt as large as it did that night. 

Coventry in 1997 at home which essentially cost us the league that year will stay with me until we win the bloody thing. The lad who had the ST next to me cried. 

Cup final 1996, though more anger than anything else. Utterly gutless. Getting to Euston after the game to be greeted by loads of Mancs who obviously did not hang around to see the trophy presentation was odd. 

Europa League final 2016. You can lose finals but you should never have regrets. I still have regrets about that one. That second half was something else. Likewise CL Final 2018. Just a bad, bad day. 

PSG in 1997 was dreadful...,,my first European away and one of the worst, though the day in Paris itself was fun. 

8 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Most have been mentioned,but Brighton in the FA cup in 1984.Two years running they knocked us out,both on Sundays.

Losing two nil at home to Sheffield Wednesday later that year (Bruce gave away both goals) meant that going into the classroom on the Monday was abit daunting due to the expected (they didn't let me down!) piss taking from the Owls fans and the Blades aswell,for that matter.

Also losing the 2003 UEFA cup quarter final 2nd leg 0-2 to Celtic at Anfield.

Brighton on a Sunday at home with a cobbled together match programme of about four pages. Phil Neal missed a penalty and Jimmy Case played for Brighton and was still class. Think he scored a massive deflection in the game. Also Terry Connor away at the Goldstone Ground and we lost 2-0.

All the obvious games have been mentioned but one that also sticks out for me was a 1-0 loss Away against Middlesbrough in the early noughties, the season we signed Diouf and Diao (in fact they were on the way to be coming legends at the point of the day). 

at that stage me and my cousins were going to every game home and away, absolutely loving it. We’d been to Maine road and Elland road in the games before and we were winning well and I think top at that stage heading into a prosperous winter.

on the day we rocked up to the riverside after a great 2 hour singalong on the coach, full of beans, ready to cement our place back in the league elite. We watched on the concourse before kick off united lose the early game which made it even better.

what followed was a cold, windy frustrating afternoon, shit performance and a shit 1-0 defeat.

the coach journey home was one of largely silence and the odd slightly nasty bickering. In fact I had seen a few uncomfortable and unsavoury incidents that day from some idiot reds that made me question whether going on the away days would be worth it going forward. 

I guess I just wasn’t ready for handling a defeat, this was meant to be a guaranteed win, and it felt like the end of the world. 

the game wasn’t particularly significant on its own, but after that I think we went on a massive run without a win which put the nail in coffin of the houllier/Thompson era. This was the start of it. 

• Upvote 1

A match  not mentioned so far is when Forest knocked us out of the European Cup in the first round in 1978.  It seemed like the Cup belonged to us after the last two seasons and there we were getting dumped out by another English side whose game was based on not much more than a solid defence and a one-trick, chubby winger.  

9 minutes ago, aws said:

A match  not mentioned so far is when Forest knocked us out of the European Cup in the first round in 1978.  It seemed like the Cup belonged to us after the last two seasons and there we were getting dumped out by another English side whose game was based on not much more than a solid defence and a one-trick, chubby winger.  

Yeah,that was a sickener too.

12 hours ago, AbbaZabba said:

All the obvious games have been mentioned but one that also sticks out for me was a 1-0 loss Away against Middlesbrough in the early noughties, the season we signed Diouf and Diao (in fact they were on the way to be coming legends at the point of the day). 

at that stage me and my cousins were going to every game home and away, absolutely loving it. We’d been to Maine road and Elland road in the games before and we were winning well and I think top at that stage heading into a prosperous winter.

on the day we rocked up to the riverside after a great 2 hour singalong on the coach, full of beans, ready to cement our place back in the league elite. We watched on the concourse before kick off united lose the early game which made it even better.

what followed was a cold, windy frustrating afternoon, shit performance and a shit 1-0 defeat.

the coach journey home was one of largely silence and the odd slightly nasty bickering. In fact I had seen a few uncomfortable and unsavoury incidents that day from some idiot reds that made me question whether going on the away days would be worth it going forward. 

I guess I just wasn’t ready for handling a defeat, this was meant to be a guaranteed win, and it felt like the end of the world. 

the game wasn’t particularly significant on its own, but after that I think we went on a massive run without a win which put the nail in coffin of the houllier/Thompson era. This was the start of it. 

That's the one westerveld said his feet were cold because the pitch was wet and had no undersoil heating so he couldnt move quickly!

When I was U12 we lost in the California state final -- tough. We were plucky and punching above our weight.

A few years back we lost in the final of the FL cup to a bunch of guys from Trinidad and Tobago. We had a few out due to injury - still that stung.

Anyway -- surely nothing to compare to the horror of losing in the FA Cup to a bunch of U-21s.

14 hours ago, AbbaZabba said:

That was shit. Early November, we were unbeaten and four points clear at the start of play. Gareth Southgate scored the winner from a Dudek howler and set off a run of form that saw us 12 points off the top by New Year's Day. Although we're far, far better (to put it mildly) now, I'll always be cautious after seeing how one unexpected loss can send a team spiralling out of control, and that’s without opponents of Man City's quality.

Bizarrely never felt that bad about a singular Liverpool defeat. Even Chelsea 14 or the Champions League final against Madrid I almost found it comical how wrong those games went for us.

I've felt worse about random losses against bottom half of the table opposition between 2010 and 2015. During most of those years it felt like we'd only win half those games and the mediocrity was not fun. One result in particular I would say was BRodge's first game, 3-0 loss to West Brom. At the time I thought we'd be shit forever. 

I'm still fuming about that shit lucky twat Inzaghi handballing a deflected free kick past Reina from an offside position in 2007. Never has a player with so little footballing ability scored such a sickening amount of goals as that horrible bastard.

If we'd got the first goal in that game we could have been out of sight by half time, they couldn't handle us in the first half. Also if Rafa had convinced Bellamy to play left wing like he'd later do very successfully for Man City then I think we'd have almost certainly won.

7 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

That was shit. Early November, we were unbeaten and four points clear at the start of play. Gareth Southgate scored the winner from a Dudek howler and set off a run of form that saw us 12 points off the top by New Year's Day. Although we're far, far better (to put it mildly) now, I'll always be cautious after seeing how one unexpected loss can send a team spiralling out of control, and that’s without opponents of Man City's quality.

Aye that’s the one. I couldn’t actually remember who scored and who was playing but it’s come back to me now. We had that quite nice black kit, dudek in yellow. Dudek dropped it and Southgate knocked it in. We all thought it was going to get disallowed as we thought it’d be kicked out jerzys hands at the time. 

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

I thought we were talking about the Westerveld ‘ ice on the gloves’ debacle ?

Arsenal 1971 for me in as much as it is the only game I can remember ever crying about a defeat ( I was 11 ) Wolves under Hodgson was a low point.

Same as , 11 too , crying in the bedroom and me Dad coming in saying it’s only a tin cup lad, he was gutted to though .