You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst you've ever felt after a defeat?

Sugar Ape

Arsenal 1989 and Chelsea 2014.

Obviously, one was just weeks after Hillsborough and the other was the 25th anniversary, which made the losses seem more acute as they would have been fitting tributes. It was great that we followed up by winning the title in 1990.

Just checked the Chelsea line-up from 2014 as I remember it being almost second-string.

I have absolutely no recollection of Mo playing for them in that game. Mad one.

23Schwarzer

28Azpilicueta

3Cole - Booked at 90mins

12Mikel

2Ivanovic

33Kalas

21Matic

8Lampard - Booked at 43mins

19Ba - Substituted forTorres at 84'minutesBooked at 90mins

15Salah - Booked at 21mins Substituted forWillianat 60'minutes

14Schürrle - Substituted forCahillat 77'

Chelsea 2014 is the most gut wrenching one as I knew that dream was over following that loss and didn't think we had a side to challenge again.

I think from a sheer bleakness perspective the home loss to Blackpool in 2010 stands out too. Not so much that we had been outplayed by Blackpool at Anfield which was bad enough. I just found the whole day emotionally draining as the match was a sideshow to the protests we had to do. At that point I was genuinely worried about Hick and Gillett keeping hold of the club and that we were heading for a decline we might not recover from.

24 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It’s weird how the brain works, but the one that keeps jumping out at me as the answer is the cup semi final defeat to Crystal Palace in 1990.

Didnt get to that one myself but my mates missed the first half due to an accident on the M6,as did many other fans that day. I seem to vaguely remember Kenny leaving,maybe Beardsley out? And thinking it was a mistake,maybe one or two other selections as well. Not sure of the dates but were they motivated by our 9-0 drubbing of them in the league or did we do that afterwards?

Arsenal 89 , I had to work in Fords that evening but was keeping a check on the score with the car radio , told our kid they’d scored, when I got to the pub after , I was going up the stairs to put my gear away and heard the pub go mad , sank to my knees as I knew what had happened.

Arsenal 71 was another , seeing Charlie George lying on his back after netting the winner , Alec Lindsay behind him with his socks rolled was a sickener too as a kid.

Weirdly Leicester in 1999. Had the chance to win and qualify for the champions league yet we capitulated at home against them letting Ian Marshall score. Loads of the ground were more bothered about the Mancs coming back from 2 down against Juventus to get to the final of the CL. 

Must be what Evertonians feel like these days but it just felt we were so far away from them after that result. 

Had a big argument with my brother when I got in as he told me to stop going off my head about it and I just exploded. He even offered to fight me in the park over the road before my Dad waded in and told us both to shut the fuck up and sit down.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Weirdly Leicester in 1999. Had the chance to win and qualify for the champions league yet we capitulated at home against them letting Ian Marshall score. Loads of the ground were more bothered about the Mancs coming back from 2 down against Juventus to get to the final of the CL. 

Must be what Evertonians feel like these days but it just felt we were so far away from them after that result. 

Had a big argument with my brother when I got in as he told me to stop going off my head about it and I just exploded. He even offered to fight me in the park over the road before my Dad waded in and told us both to shut the fuck up and sit down.

I was there too and it summed up the gulf in class between the two sides at that time. It was thoroughly depressing. Makes now even better.

Without a doubt, FA Cup final 96, had the misfortune to drown my sorrows on Euston Road after the match and met a manc gang ( a couple we actually knew),who wanted to kick off with us instead of celebrating.  Luckily the pair we knew sided with us and the situation abated a little. Spent years harbouring the grudge and vowed to ask Rob Jones why he moved out of the way of the free kick, yet met him about 12 years later in the main stand ( he's really small), and didn't have the heart to mention it.

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

We were absolutely miles away from the CL in 98/99. I think you might be conflating that calamitous season with the next one, where we were very much in contention only to blow it on the final day against Paul Jewell's Bradford. 

8 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

We were absolutely miles away from the CL in 98/99. I think you might be conflating that calamitous season with the next one, where we were very much in contention only to blow it on the final day against Paul Jewell's Bradford. 

Yep, you are right. The season after we played Leicester a few weeks before that Bradford game and lost 2 nil after we had won 3 or 4 in a row. 

The one the season before was so deflating because most of the fans seemed arsed about the Mancs and the thought of them winning everything in sight made me feel physically sick because we were fucking shit.

Guest Francie Brady

FA Cup fourth round in 99. Two late goals as was the norm for the mancs back then. Absolutely devastating for a 9 year old and made worse by fact they won treble. 

5 minutes ago, Francie Brady said:

FA Cup fourth round in 99. Two late goals as was the norm for the mancs back then. Absolutely devastating for a 9 year old and made worse by fact they won treble. 

Horrible game that. The point we could have wiped their dream of the Treble but we shit the bed.