You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst you've ever felt after a defeat?

Sugar Ape

Strangely, the feelings of defeat have got worse as Ive got older!

Cup defeats, being at Villa Park for that FA Cup semi we lost to Palace is up there as is losing the 71 final to arsenal in extra time and the 88 final against Wimbledon.

League defeats, being on the Kop in 89 when we lost that last game 2-0 to arsenal, losing by the same score to chelsea at home in 2014 then losing a 3-0 lead at Palace in the same season.

European defeats, Cup Winners Cup final defeat against Dortmund in 66, losing the Fairs Cup semi 1st leg to Leeds in 71 and a Bremner goal, Brucie's walkabout that cost us a goal and a Champions Cup tie against CSKA after we'd snotted them a season or two previous.

But I think the absolute worst I felt was the Champions Cup Final against Juve in 85. All those people died at a football match and I felt it was a real low for the club and for me personally.

Certainly one of the worst was after the 3-0 defeat at the Nou Camp last year.

I just couldn't believe that such a brilliant team and manager was going to end that season with essentially nothing to show for it. I was pissed off as I knew Barcelona were beatable and that scoreline didn't reflect the performance at all. 

Thankfully we know the rest. 

• Upvote 2

If we lose now it doesnt really bother me for more than a few minutes. Life is far more important than games of football (which are great for their duration) but it just suspends the shit of reality temporarily. I don't feel any connection to the club any more,other than wanting us to win because Klopp is a great human being,but its just a business now and nothing more.

Looking back and remembering I think losing to Forest in that League Cup final replay in 78/79 or 80 was one were I cried and threatened to become an Evertonian! I soon came to my senses though.

• Upvote 1

1977 Cup Final (a 10 year old, crying myself to sleep in Tasmania)

1990 Cup Semi-FInal (a 23 year-old crying at Villa Park)

Both times, the dream of beating United in a Cup Final, shattered - the second time, one game away from my dream of going to Wembley for a Liverpool/United Cup Final.

Couldn't think of anything worse than a Liverpool/United final of any description nowadays.

• Upvote 1

I remember crying my eyes out at the ‘89 Arse game, my mum kicking off because I’d stayed up to watch it and she said she was never letting me watch a match again in my life. 

I’ll never forgive that evil witch for not keeping her word on that. 

• Upvote 3

Some horror matches here.

Losing at Inter Milan in the European Cup SF to a bent referee in 65, after the elation of the first leg at Anfield in 65 (the best, most emotional match I've seen - until THE Barca match) is near the top of my list but the horror and humiliation losing 6 - 1 away to fucking Stoke under Rodgers tops my list. After a string of defeats there was no football  for yonks afterwards to take my mind off it. Just waiting and hoping that Rodgers would get the arse. That season dropped him to just above the Owl in my personal Our Managers League.

I cried as a kid at games like PSG at home when we couldn't get the 3rd in 97 to level the tie and then Utd away in the cup when sperm of gollum scored two late ones to win it but no game as a kid or adult will ever shake the 96 cup-final final from me. I had become a football fanatic. This was my calling in life. 2 and a bit years I'd been absolutely chomping at the bit for us to win something massive. No-way could we lose this game. I remember studying the daily mirror on the train that morning and they did a player by player analysis and just thinking we had the better side by far. I couldn't see us losing. 

2 hours ago, rb14 said:

Stoke 6-1. Steve's last game. It's not like massive, but it was massive. L

What. The. Fucking. Fuck?

6-1.

Stoke. 

Exactly mate. What a pitiful send off for one of the very greatest to grace our turf. Still hurts, that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, skaro said:

Both times, the dream of beating United in a Cup Final, shattered - the second time, one game away from my dream of going to Wembley for a Liverpool/United Cup Final.

Couldn't think of anything worse than a Liverpool/United final of any description nowadays.

That 77 final - was that the one when Emlyn dragged himself up the Wembley steps? Oh it was agony watching him.

The defeats hurt much much more as a kid, Wimbledon in the FA cup final, watching the lead up hearing how Liverpool were such massive favourites and almost no-one gave Wimbledon a chance. As no one in my family gave a shit about football I somehow missed the trophies we won after that until we beat Sunderland but remember all the significant defeats. Arsenal in the league was utter drawn out suffering but easily the worst was Man Utd FA cup final when Cantona shinned in the winner through a crowd of approximately 300 defenders. In my teenage years most class mates were Man Utd fans and arrogant as fuck to go with it. For the league games against them I'd feel horrendously anxious and nervous all week in the lead up so the final was next level. 

Kind of annoying I give twelfty less fucks now we're amazing.

7 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Heysel for obvious (multiple) reasons. In 89, I just felt too much sympathy for the players; they were shattered. But otherwise, I actually felt worse than after most other defeats when we drew against Palace in Rodgers' title chasing season. I'd seen bad defeats before, but I don't think I've seen such a witless, knee-knocking collapse as that one at such a crucial time. It felt like a defeat, and a terrible one at that.

Palace for me as well. The rank stupidity of it all. 

Chelsea (H) 2014- Mourinho's gloating cunt face and him beating his chest after that crucial game. Fuck sake. An absolutely sickening feeling. And for that to happen to Stevie in that manner...he didn't deserve that. 

Palace (A) 2014- To go from possibly thinking of reeling in the GD to hanging on for a draw in a matter of minutes. Pretty sure it's the angriest I've ever been after a game, despite this result being ultimately meaninglessness overall. I think the feeling from the Chelsea result, compounded with the manner of this draw...yeah, that was fucked. 

Real Madrid (2018 CL Final)- Just a mixture of everything. Sick, angry, helplessness at how absolutely nothing went the reds' way that evening. Karius, Bale's freak goal, Ramos not conceding a foul, much less a card, much less a fucking suspension. That useless fucking ref, Mo's injury. What a cunt of a night. 

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Certainly one of the worst was after the 3-0 defeat at the Nou Camp last year.

I just couldn't believe that such a brilliant team and manager was going to end that season with essentially nothing to show for it. I was pissed off as I knew Barcelona were beatable and that scoreline didn't reflect the performance at all. 

Good shout! Especially for this reason.

7 hours ago, skaro said:

1977 final gutting . Was that traumatized watched the replay on the big match on the Sunday the day after hoping for a different outcome ! I had a passionate dislike for Pearson for some reason which made it worse.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Arsenal 89. Cried like a bitch and I booted everything in sight. My ma's living room was in bits by the time I had calmed down.

Before my time but that was on the back of the most successful period in our history, I'm curious whether it hurts more when you're used to winning or when you lose the odd final when you aren't used to winning much (Pretty much my entire time as a fan). I'd have thought you'd take it on the chin more when you've seen us lifting trophies consistently, whereas when you're in the odd final it's massive as it's possibly the only chance of a trophy for the next few years.

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I missed my lad's communion for that and paid about £40 (a lot of money for me at the time with three young kids) for an obstructed view. What a shit game and a massive bunch of fannies we were. I am also not a fan of Steve McManaman because he tended to be involved in a lot of games like this before fucking off to Madrid for nothing. Nowhere near a club legend for me.

McManaman was a good player and had loads of talent, but I usually found him frustrating. How often was he ineffectual? How many times did he get into a great position only to unleash the most pathetic of shots? I don’t hate him, I don’t care that he left as he did, but as one of our key players he was, I suppose, in a way emblematic of the gulf between Man Utd and ourselves. We pinned our hopes on too many players that Ferguson would never have had as regular starters during that period.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I was pissed off as I knew Barcelona were beatable and that scoreline didn't reflect the performance at all. 

Yup. That fact often escapes in the post mortem of that result. Barca had absolutely no business beating us at the Nou Camp. Makes me feel better should we play them again this time around.

Chelsea 1-1 at Anfield in 08 hasn’t been mentioned and should have. Riise last minute own goal - not a defeat but felt as much like one. We were the best team in Europe over 2 legs at that time. We’d have beaten United in the final in Moscow. Then they did us over again 3-1 under Hiddink after we’d just mauled Madrid and beat United’s arguably greatest ever team 4-1 at Old Trafford .. they truly got the breaks in those 2 seasons after 05 & 06 ..

17 minutes ago, Elite said:

Before my time but that was on the back of the most successful period in our history, I'm curious whether it hurts more when you're used to winning or when you lose the odd final when you aren't used to winning much (Pretty much my entire time as a fan). I'd have thought you'd take it on the chin more when you've seen us lifting trophies consistently, whereas when you're in the odd final it's massive as it's possibly the only chance of a trophy for the next few years.

Might be something in that. I was only young but I was used to us being the dominant team and winning everything in sight.

Also, after the events of that year it just felt like sick to the stomach to lose the title by goal difference. I still vividly remember how I felt that day.

• Upvote 1