You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst you've ever felt after a defeat?

Sugar Ape

What's the one (or more than one if you like) result that really stands out for you as a low point? As we are blowing teams away and currently the best team in the world, it's important not to forget how fucking shit some of the football and results have been in the last 30 years. It makes the current success all the more sweeter.

I'm going to go for the obvious one and say the Champions league final against Madrid. Had an horrific chest infection and in bed all week on antibiotics, dragged myself out of bed to make it the pub with my mates with my Mrs going spare at me, almost coughed myself to death in the pub, got forced to do a shit loads of shots and then to top it off fucking Karius ruined the night. I've still never watched any of it back, not even highlights of the goals and never will. Never felt so bad in my life as when I woke up the next morning hungover, sick as a dog, and then the result flashed into my head.

Also, as I was typing that just remembered the video Karius put out a few weeks later where he's just lounging by a pool in LA or somewhere with not a care in the world. Fucking twat.

there's been plenty, but the 96 cup final defeat to Utd when Cantona scored still sickens me.

I was on 15, and my dad brought me to a pub to watch it on a big screen. My dad wouldnt have been a pub goer, nor huge football either but ill never forget the absolute sense of disappointment i felt from that loss. They where shite, we where close to being better than them, but that one lucky fucking goal. Im getting pissed off just thinking about it now. 

another one would be the Man City - Leicester game the day before we battered Barca. Going to into work the following morning, with pretty much a sense of, "i cant believe how good we are, yet we're going to win fuck all" feeling. Thankfully we know the rest though.  

Heysel for obvious (multiple) reasons. In 89, I just felt too much sympathy for the players; they were shattered. But otherwise, I actually felt worse than after most other defeats when we drew against Palace in Rodgers' title chasing season. I'd seen bad defeats before, but I don't think I've seen such a witless, knee-knocking collapse as that one at such a crucial time. It felt like a defeat, and a terrible one at that.

Obvious ones have been said. Also losing to Crystal palace in the FA cup in the same season as beating them 9 to 0. Worse was losing to Wimbledon in the FA Cup final in 1988.

Another not mentioned would be Northampton with the Owl. I think I don’t think I’d ever felt as disconnected with football, we were going nowhere, sliding into potential relegation, proper shit in the squad, new American owners likely just as bad as the last lot, no exciting youth coming through and a hopeless manager. It really felt like we had no hope and I  Genuinely worried we could slip down the leagues in and around that time.

at least with the other defeats we were fighting for cups and titles this was something else. 

The 1988 FA Cup Final was bad, but even though I still think John Fashanu and Dennis Wise are cunts, I no longer begrudge Wimbledon their day in the sun.

Other defeats that stand out include Arsenal (1987 League Cup Final), Arsenal (1989), Crystal Palace (1990 FA Cup Semi-Final), Norwich (the Kop’s Last Stand, 1994), Manchester United (1996 FA Cup Final) and Manchester United (FA Cup 4th Round, 1999).

• Upvote 1

I don’t know, there have been too many. The 2007 final was a shame because we were the better team, although it felt inevitable that we'd lose given how we'd beaten them in 2005, so it wasn’t exactly a surprise. FA Cup 1996 of course, an insipid performance followed by that late goal made all the more disappointing by the fact we'd easily outplayed them twice in the league that season. Chelsea 2014. 2018 vs Madrid. I didn’t much care for the 2009 4-4 with Arsenal, because it removed any lingering pressure on Man Utd and completely killed our chances of winning the title. Almost any of the games against United between 1996 and 2000, especially the two at Anfield in 1997 which were characterised by David James flapping and Gary Pallister and Andy Cole scoring.

Guest Pistonbroke

89 league title being blown at home to Arsenal. On guard duty with a fat Arsenal fan and a loaded SLR due to IRA activity. I was fucking gutted. Probably the worst feeling I've ever had due to football as there was nowhere to hide and yet I had to be professional about things. Also 81 losing to Flamengo was a pisser, first year in the Army, first Christmassy period in a foreign land and a bunch of cockney pricks taking the piss. 

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

96 FA cup final against the mancs. Having to go back to school full of manc twats was horrible.

The Chelsea match in 13/14. Still gutted thinking about how that happened. 

I missed my lad's communion for that and paid about £40 (a lot of money for me at the time with three young kids) for an obstructed view. What a shit game and a massive bunch of fannies we were. I am also not a fan of Steve McManaman because he tended to be involved in a lot of games like this before fucking off to Madrid for nothing. Nowhere near a club legend for me.