You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Everton 0 (Jan 5 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

“We expected to win” said Adam Lallana afterwards. So did I. Seriously, I did. Even after I saw the team we picked I was confident we’d win. Why? Because it’s Anfield, it’s Everton and because every player who in this squad is a mentality monster, even the kids.

Any time they’ve been selected we’ve seen the confidence in the younger players, so it shouldn’t really be surprising. It’s unusual and it’s rare that you see kids performing so well in limited appearances, but there is a simple explanation for it. 

Part of it is that Klopp can make players feel ten feet tall, but it’s not just that. It’s about how these kids are integrated into the group and how they are made to feel. Let’s say you’re Harvey Elliott for example. You’ve probably spent a lot of time up against Andy Robbo in training. Why would you then be even the slightest bit fazed about facing any other left back?

It goes right throughout the squad. Curtis Jones trains every day alongside and against people like Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum. As if he’s going to be even the tiniest bit intimidated coming up against Schneiderlin or Sigurdsson. 

I think Yasser Larouci is the only one not with the seniors on a full time basis, so Neco Williams and Nat Phillips for example, are used to coming up against Salah, Firmino and Mané every day. Seriously, it must almost be a relief to face Richarlison, Walcott and Calvert-Lewin.

And I’m not saying this to be derogatory about the Blues’ players. They’re seasoned Premier League footballers, but most of our young lads train with the best team in the world day in day out so why would they be nervous about facing inferior players to those they pit themselves against every day?

That no doubt sounds arrogant but it’s true. Those young players train with and against some of the world’s best players every single day, and even when they aren’t involved in the match day squad they are still there in the dressing room, or travelling to away games. 

Watch those ‘Inside Training’ videos on LFC TV and you’ll see that there isn’t an “us” and “them” situation. The senior lads are always joking around and mixing with the kids, and the result of all this is that the lads see themselves as Liverpool players and not just reserves.

In the past it was often intimidating for a young player to be plucked out of the reserves and thrown into the first team. Now they’re so close to it every week they’re just desperate to be involved. They aren’t scared, they’re just hungry as fuck and they’re completely comfortable in their surroundings.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• dave u pinned this topic

At last. Yayyyyyyy. 

And what a great report Dave. "someone as pointless as *Walcott* doesn’t deserve the words I’ve already wasted on him". Even by your own high standards, wonderful stuff.

And yes, Lallana for me too. 

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

I mean what do they think they’re achieving by that when they can still hear it? They were enthusiastic in the opening stages when their team were creating chances, but in that second half there wasn’t a peep out of them. They were as fucking timid and scared as their players.

Was this some sort of misplaced Hysel jibe, masquerading as solidarity with Juventus fans (who did the same). I note the picture doing the rounds on Twitter showing the Bloos with a Juventus flag, and also the video where they are all making wall pushing gestures. Imagine using a tragedy simply to score points.

• Upvote 2

Lallana for me too ..he was phenomenal .Don't think I've ever seen Kloppo doff his cap to a player before yesterday which shows just how much he impressed the boss.Wouldn't be at all surprised if there was another years extension offered to Lallana

• Upvote 2

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Best thing you’ve written in ages. Love the utter derision for the Blueshite. 

As for the FA Cup, I want to win it because I want to win the treble (with an invincible league campaign): this team is that good. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Best thing you’ve written in ages. Love the utter derision for the Blueshite. 

As for the FA Cup, I want to win it because I want to win the treble (with an invincible league campaign): this team is that good. 

Then it'll be a quadruple.  The small matter of the Super Cup and being World Champions.......

At least Ancelotti and the smattering of decent Evertonians know where they stand as a squad and a team now.

No ref to blame, no controversial decisions, no VAR.  Just a collection of 2nd rate losers with a losers mentality that got beat by a bunch of kids.

And has there ever been a better senior team debut goal than that ?  Mane's maybe ?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

No ref to blame, no controversial decisions... 

Almost. There were a few dreadful late tackles on our boys from midway through the second half, any one of which looked like they could and should have been at least a yellow. And the ref saw at least two, if not all. Rightly played advantage each time, but I didn't see the offenders dealt with afterwards in any way. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, rb14 said:

Almost. There were a few dreadful late tackles on our boys from midway through the second half, any one of which looked like they could and should have been at least a yellow. And the ref saw at least two, if not all. Rightly played advantage each time, but I didn't see the offenders dealt with afterwards in any way. 

Saw him have a chat with Holgate after one. Think they held off after that, so I guess he must have made his point.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Then it'll be a quadruple.  The small matter of the Super Cup and being World Champions.......

At least Ancelotti and the smattering of decent Evertonians know where they stand as a squad and a team now.

No ref to blame, no controversial decisions, no VAR.  Just a collection of 2nd rate losers with a losers mentality that got beat by a bunch of kids.

And has there ever been a better senior team debut goal than that ?  Mane's maybe ?

You forgot the Champions League

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Was this some sort of misplaced Hysel jibe, masquerading as solidarity with Juventus fans (who did the same). I note the picture doing the rounds on Twitter showing the Bloos with a Juventus flag, and also the video where they are all making wall pushing gestures. Imagine using a tragedy simply to score points.

It's sad mate. I don't know what's worse - the older ones who should know better, or the younger ones who weren't even born when the disasters happened. You'd like to think they'd be singled out and banned. 

• Upvote 1

Great report. Good to see you've returned to calling them for the losers they are. It's felt wrong seeing you not tear into them for pity sake.

I'm made up Ancelotti has got a full set against us this season, and in true Everton style, it's in the image of their regular league form; Win one, draw one, lose one. They were banking on Saint Carlo being their saviour, and seeing the team sheets, that will only have been emphasised further. - this was theirs to win. Their moment had finally come. And then their moment had gone.

January 6th and their season is over!

• Upvote 1

Brilliant.  Although you missed a trick:

A few weeks ago Everton were at such a low ebb that I didn’t even have it in me to take the piss any more. I said in the last Derby report that ripping on them in the state they’d found themselves in was almost like mocking a disabled person. I couldn’t do it, it was too arlarse.Bobby Madley.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, scudger99 said:

That might even make it a quintuple.

• Upvote 1

In the same way no matter what else Biffa never did for us he’s always scored that Wembley winner against them, no matter what Ancelotti ever does for them, he’ll always have presided over this.

A living emblem of one of their worst ever results, within weeks of his arrival. It will only speed up the future poison toward him arriving.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
16 hours ago, rb14 said:

At last. Yayyyyyyy. 

And what a great report Dave. "someone as pointless as *Walcott* doesn’t deserve the words I’ve already wasted on him". Even by your own high standards, wonderful stuff.

And yes, Lallana for me too. 

Thank you.

Walcott’s run for Adebayor’s goal against us in the Champions League was probably the most heart-in-mouth piece of play I’ve seen from an opposition at Anfield. What an absolute unbridled disaster his career has been in the decade since. One of footballs greatest under achievers. Makes Owen look saintly by comparison.

• dave u unpinned this topic