You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs (A) Premier League 11/1/2020 - 17:30

Bjornebye

@dave u have a word please. 

https://global.espn.com/football/english-premier-league/story/4030694/firmino-7-10-in-firing-liverpool-past-spurs-to-extend-lead-atop-the-premier-league-table

Liverpool stretched their lead at the top of the Premier League to 16 points after a 1-0 win over Spurs on Saturday at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Roberto Firmino was the match-winner in what was a rather attritional encounter as the Brazilian fired past Paulo Gazzaniga 8 minutes before half-time.

Positives

It wasn't pretty, but in the face of a Tottenham side that looked to contain and frustrate Jurgen Klopp's team, they got the job done.

Negatives

It wasn't a great day for Liverpool's full-backs, who were largely shut down by a super-defensive setup from Spurs, and the midfield wasn't as slick as it has been in recent weeks, but it was still effective enough to control the game. And for all Liverpool's authority, there were occasional lapses in concentration that gifted their opponents the ball in dangerous areas, and on another day, this could well have been a draw.

Manager rating out of 10

7 -- It wasn't the most fluid of performances from either side, but Klopp's outfit were patient and composed throughout as they continue to storm towards a first Premier League title.

Player ratings (1-10; 10 = best, players introduced after 70 minutes get no rating)

GK Alisson, 7 -- Came rushing out towards the halfway line to head away a potential Spurs counterattack in what was the only action he faced in the first half, before showing excellent handling to catch three efforts in the second period.

DF Trent Alexander-Arnold, 6 -- Didn't get a great deal of joy down the Liverpool right, but should have done better at the start of the second half when he dragged a volley well wide. Defended well to deflect a Son Heung-Min shot wide for a Spurs corner.

EDITOR'S PICKS

DF Joe Gomez, 6 -- Got himself in the referee's notebook for a naive swipe at Son as the two contested a loose ball, and the 22-year-old was occasionally scruffy in the way he went about his business.

DF Virgil van Dijk, 7 -- Denied a first-half goal by an excellent Gazzaniga save, but the Dutchman really should've scored. He was defensively sound, however, and was on hand to stop Dele Alli with an excellent tackle just before the hour as the England man threatened on goal.

DF Andy Robertson, 6 -- The Scot had limited opportunities to cross, and was uncharacteristically wasteful with those chances, but he made up for it with a focused defensive display.

MF Jordan Henderson, 6 -- The Reds skipper wasn't particularly convincing in possession in what was a largely scrappy match, but was brave as he stooped down to nod a loose ball into the penalty area on the way to his side going 1-0 up.

MF Georginio Wijnaldum, 7 -- He quietly went about things, but it was an excellent night's work from the midfielder, who was assured in possession and helped to maintain his side's control. Only hiccup was when he gave away the ball in his own defensive third in the second half and Spurs pounced, but were unable to punish him dearly.

MF Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 6 -- The former Arsenal man was Liverpool's most impressive midfielder in the first half, providing some lovely probing balls in behind to stretch a disciplined Spurs backline. Booked for tripping Lucas Moura as he raced through the midfield third. Brought off on the hour, and replaced by Adam Lallana.

Roberto Firmino's goal proved the difference in Liverpool's 1-0 win at Tottenham. Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

FW Mohamed Salah, 6 -- Played a cute pass into the path Firmino for Liverpool's winner, but Salah had a frustrating night with his own opportunities. The Egyptian always looked dangerous, but a shot that safely sailed past the near post was the closest he came to scoring. Replaced by Xherdan Shaqiri in injury time.

FW Roberto Firmino, 7 -- Shifted inside and fired against the post in the second minute, but made no mistake in the 37th when he rolled his defender and rifled home an excellent goal.

FW Sadio Mane, 6 -- The recently crowned African Football of the Year found himself up against Tottenham debutant Japhet Tanganga, and Mane struggled to escape the shackles of the pacey defender, who kept a watchful eye on the forward. A microcosm of how Tottenham looked to neutralise the Liverpool threat. Replaced by Divock Origi after 80 minutes.

Substitutes

MF Adam Lallana, 6 -- The midfielder came on at a time when Tottenham were beginning to believe they could get something from the game, and he failed to get into the thick of the action.

FW Divock Origi, N/R -- Showed good feet to work a chance late on that he shot straight at the keeper.

FW Xherdan Shaqiri, N/R -- Not enough time to make an impact.

I could do without many more of these games as my heart will explode. Gini was my MoM and my favourite player Hendo was pretty poor in the first half before settling down again later. Alisson is magnificent and has handling a Harlem Globetrotter would be jealous over as well as distribution a delivery driver can only dream of. Lovely finish from Bobby but far from our best. Nice late cameo from Divock and good to see the Shaqman back. Just so glad we won.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I could do without many more of these games as my heart will explode. Gini was my MoM and my favourite player Hendo was pretty poor in the first half before settling down again later. Alisson is magnificent and has handling a Harlem Globetrotter would be jealous over as well as distribution a delivery driver can only dream of. Lovely finish from Bobby but far from our best. Nice late cameo from Divock and good to see the Shaqman back. Just so glad we won.

I know... when can we just start enjoying these games?

Guest Pistonbroke
16 minutes ago, skaro said:

I recorded it due to a family event and watched it back later after not knowing the result. I told the kids if they were checking their mobiles not to let on. Dropped a few guests off, then when I returned sat down to watch the game. The youngest lad said he would watch it with me, then wouldn't stop talking for about ten minutes. 'Reckon we'll win this one dad, although it could be a close game. Fancy Bobby to score as he's in good form. It could be 3-0 as we are good enough and TAA might score a goal.....' So I kind of watched the game in a relaxed mood knowing the little lad was pretending too hard that he didn't know the score. Still nervous at the end when they had a few chances mind. 

Love the fume from the rest of the footballing fraternity. I don't know, maybe they should take a look at Mourinho and the fact he parked the bus and tried long balls onto runners, or that he's a clueless cunt. We march on and it's glorious to be a part of it. 

Even that incompetent bastard Atkinson couldn't stop us. I wouldn't let that fucker officiate in the Championship, never mind the PL. He wasn't real bad yesterday, but he still got a load of easy decisions wrong. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, skaro said:

Mourinho really is taking the piss already at Spurs.

Still, I prefer him to Guardiola.

Just.

It was so obvious Mourinho wasn't going to change as he said he would though. Whinging is his game as he attempts to deflect interst away from his dog shit tactics at home. They were woeful in that first half and resembled Wimbledon in the 80's. I imagine if Bobby or Ox had put away that early double chance we could have seen a right bumming from them. As it is a 1-0 sufficed as you still get 3 points. 

Fuck them all, would they rather we went on to win it with Arab an oligarch money? You know the answer is yes. They'd rather see that than brilliant football win it, which says everything about those that think that way. 

Sssshhhhh, don't mention the financial doping teams, Liverpool got a little luck to go with their brilliance and domination, booooooh. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Anubis said:

Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m loving them. I believe we’ll find a way so am pretty calm about things.

I'm the same around the games although I do get a bit nervous whilst watching them. The points lead we have means we can lose 5 games as things stand and I'm certainly in the let's enjoy this camp. It's been a great ride so far and the way this team plays we'd have to implode big time to lose that many games. It's fucking great. 

40 minutes ago, skaro said:

I already am.  Every one of them.

You've got to enjoy history being created in front of you.

Klopp said believe, and he's given us solid reason to do so.  He's got me believing, so it doesn't matter what hiccups we encounter along the way.  Sit back and enjoy the roses now and then so to speak.  And the fume, which is just as heady.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Some of my favourite popular straw clutching exercises are:

1) The “de-VARd” league table, which has us only with an 8 point lead. Why is that relevant, and not the question of whether the post-VAR decisions were ultimately correct? How about a “de-referring fuck up” table of each of the Premier League seasons to date?

2) “It’s a weak era!” Oh yeah? Weaker than the early days of the Premier League, where a maverick (and, of course, talented) journeyman like Eric Cantona was sold to viewers as genuinely world class, despite never troubling Europe's finest? Weaker than when Leicester won the league in 2016? Weaker than when we routinely finished third or fourth despite having a team we all knew, deep down, was unlikely to challenge for the title?

You need to post like this more often. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I like that we keep dashing hopes, particularly the supposed December implosion.

It's the hope that's going to kill them. I'm loving the fume off other fans, it points out even further how well we as a team are doing. I'm sure quite a few of them would accept a major War happening and the league being cancelled rather than us winning number 19, it's how the idiots think. 

11 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Some of my favourite popular straw clutching exercises are:

1) The “de-VARd” league table, which has us only with an 8 point lead. Why is that relevant, and not the question of whether the post-VAR decisions were ultimately correct? How about a “de-referring fuck up” table of each of the Premier League seasons to date?

2) “It’s a weak era!” Oh yeah? Weaker than the early days of the Premier League, where a maverick (and, of course, talented) journeyman like Eric Cantona was sold to viewers as genuinely world class, despite never troubling Europe's finest? Weaker than when Leicester won the league in 2016? Weaker than when we routinely finished third or fourth despite having a team we all knew, deep down, was unlikely to challenge for the title?

Agreed. The "weak era" part is fucking farcical. The league is stronger than its ever been. It provided all 4 finalists to the major European cup competitions last season - that is absurd. We just have the greatest 11 that has ever played in the Premier League man-for-man and it really is that simple.

10 hours ago, skaro said:

And the whole ifithadnabinfer VAR thing is bollocks anyway.

Who knows what the pattern of those particular games in question would have gone on to be without the VAR interventions.

We might have been good enough to go on and get through those games - a computer can't fucking predict what might have gone on to happen in these games without VAR.

(I reckon we were definitely playing within ourselves early in the season - then think about the explosion in the last 5 minutes at Villa, for instance, when it was on the line)

And Man City at Anfield for example.  We won comfortably - fuck all to do with VAR.

Stockley Park hasn't suddenly made us good.

We only fucking lost ONCE last season without it.

VAR, my arse.

Yeah Firmino's equaliser at Villa Park wrongly being ruled offside by VAR and us winning anyway should have revealed that particular glaring flaw in their twisted logic.

In the past two seasons Man City were apparently the greatest side our league has seen in it’s entire history.

Last season they squeezed us out by a single point and were by unanimous fan agreement incredible while conversely we were a national joke for not being good enough to win the title.

This season we’ve currently improved to an even better level than them in their record breaking season and they’ve dipped a bit. The league is now dreadful and our title challenge is tainted because of that.

I wish I could decode all this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

In the past two seasons Man City were apparently the greatest side our league has seen in it’s entire history.

Last season they squeezed us out by a single point and were by unanimous fan agreement incredible while conversely we were a national joke for not being good enough to win the title.

This season we’ve currently improved to an even better level than them in their record breaking season and they’ve dipped a bit. The league is now dreadful and our title challenge is tainted because of that.

We also won the European Cup last season while City again floundered. 1 of only 5 teams to have done so in the PL-era -- another 1 of which was also by us. If this side carries to the title on even a similar trajectory to what its on now, there's going to be no discussion that its the best of all time in the league.

2 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

It's easy. Bitterness. The end.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Probably too intelligent for the US audience. The new ratings monkeys are absolute imbeciles.

They got rid of / cut down on the fan bloggers around this time last year but they needed me to still do ratings until the end of the season because Glen Price left to join LFCTV.

No idea who does them now, I assume it's whoever they hired to replace Melissa Reddy.

21 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

We also won the European Cup last season while City again floundered. 1 of only 5 teams to have done so in the PL-era -- another 1 of which was also by us. If this side carries to the title on even a similar trajectory to what its on now, there's going to be no discussion that its the best of all time in the league.

We should also remember we signed ZERO first team players in the summer while city broke their record to sign Rodri. Haters can fuck themselves