You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gomez: I am just taking one game at a time

TLW

Joe Gomez may still be classified as a youngster as far as senior football is concerned, but the central defender has maturity well above his years.

The 22 year-old has grown up under the spotlight of being at one of the biggest teams in world football, but it has been anything but a smooth ride.

Instead, it has taken every bit of mental strength to overcome a catalogue of serious injuries which have cruelly halted his progress.

After spending much of his formative years at the Reds at right-back, the beginning of last season saw Gomez team up with Virgil Van Dijk to form a flourishing partnership.

However, a early December game at Burnley changed all that as a hard tackle by Ben Mee saw the former Charlton junior on the sidelines for near on five months.

The crushing blow was magnified by the fact that the team was in fine form and embracing the pressure of a title challenge while also doing quite nicely on the European stage.

His spot went to Dejan Lovren and eventually Joel Matip who never let it out of his grasp playing a key role in the Champions League triumph.

Just over 12 months on and the roles are completely reversed.

Matip and Lovren are nursing injuries, while Gomez is in possession of the prized central defensive spot next to the imperious Dutchman.

The Evening Standard reports that Gomez is not thinking too far ahead.

“Obviously, I am enjoying playing and getting some momentum. 

“I get on well with Virg and we enjoy playing together.

“I think as a unit, as a team, it is nice to be a part of it and get a run of games, so I am not dwelling on that, I just keep plugging away.

“I am just taking it a game at a time. It is obviously nice to get momentum when you play games but I think the main thing is just to keep focus and take it one game at a time.

“We are in a good place and it is a joy to be a part of this team. I think everyone will just keep pushing and plugging away and we just have to keep pushing as a team and individuals.

“ I think in the dressing room as well, there are so many that are leaders and are keeping everyone on the straight and narrow. That is the focus - one game at a time.”

gomez6_600.jpg

Gomez is one of a number of players who is in line to be rested for the third round FA Cup clash against neighbours Everton at Anfield tomorrow afternoon.

However, with the team being on such a role and someone like Gomez who has missed out on many big games over the years, you sense he would love to be part of the action.

“Yes 100 per cent, I think if you asked everyone in the dressing room they all have that desire to play every game and I think that is what is important for us in this team.

“There is a real hunger and you feel it. There is no, ‘Oh, I want to play this game and chill that one.

“I think that shows and that is why when everyone comes in, the lads are playing well. 

“They are really participating and helping the team.

Gomez is sure Liverpool will see a much improved Everton lineup under new manager Carlo Ancelotti to the dispirited one that Marco Silva brought to Anfield in the death throes of his tenure in early December.

“You look the other day with West Ham, there is that instant spark.

“I don't think we go into any game underestimating anyone but we know that they will be up for it.

“I think you have that in mind whenever a team changes their gaffer.

"They have got a top manager and we have to be ready for that. 

"They have good individuals and top players and they are a threat. 

“We know that.”

View full article

I keep forgetting his age.  He plays with the calm maturity of someone much older.  He comes back into the team and we stop conceding goals, like flicking off a lightswitch.  Him and Van Dijk must be one of the most solid centre back pairings in Europe, not just in the Premiership.  Come to think of it, is there a better back 4 anywhere at the moment?  (Back 5 if you want to include Fabinho or Henderson as midfield enforcer).

Remarkable mental strength to keep coming back and pushing himself to his high standard after injuries and having to wait for his chance to stake his claim.  Quiet, unassuming and humble too. 

The latter is what makes Sterling look like the utter mega cunt he really is for that unprovoked attack.

To give it perspective, the Mancs paid £80 odd million for Slabhead, and he's not fit to lace Joe's boots.