You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) FA Cup - 05/01/2020 - 16:01

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The third round is played in January.

It is, but it doesn’t have to be. You only have to look at lower division clubs resting all of their players to see how incompatible it is with the football schedule nowadays. The fact that it’s now, in its present form, a relic doesn’t detract from what it once was. The competition could disappear tomorrow and those victories (and the rest) would mean no less.

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

It has become increasingly irrelevant because the reward is no longer deemed great enough. Seemingly endless FA Cup replays were one of the best thing about the competition. In my opinion, the format has been fucked around with more than enough as it is. The third round is played in January.

At the very least, if they got rid of the League Cup and the FA Cup became the singular cup competition in England, the reward would seem greater and there would be a couple fewer games on the schedule. 

2 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Been sent this from a mate, who’s a red who goes and wants a full strength team, he reckons it’s a very strong rumour of being the team

Adrian

Loruci

Williams

Phillips

Hoever

Lallana

Jones

Minamino

Origi

Elliot 

Brewster

Hope it’s way, way wrong. 

If this means Divock is captain count me in. 

48 minutes ago, Captain said:

Completely irrelevant imo. Winning the league games is the whole point. And if we die on that hill, so be it.

Utter pish.  How many times have you heard "this club exists to win trophies"?

So we should abandon everything for the league ?  Write off what these players have achieved since July as meaningless?

Fuck that for a lark.

Keep the League Cup but drop the two-leg semi and allow clubs in the CL and EL  to drop out entirely if they want (or commit to field either full teams or development teams throughout the tournament). Most of the top six would probably commit to play development teams and the Cup would then be a good route for the other Prem teams to actually win something and qualify for Europe.  

Keep the FA Cup but drop the replays and give the winners the 4th CL place. That should liven it up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

Utter pish.  How many times have you heard "this club exists to win trophies"?

So we should abandon everything for the league ?  Write off what these players have achieved since July as meaningless?

Fuck that for a lark.

Strange, I never argued any of the things you pick up on.

I think we shouldn’t risk injury to critical players in a squad of first team players that’s down to the bare bones as I think winning the league takes priority. That’s it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aws said:

Keep the League Cup but drop the two-leg semi and allow clubs in the CL and EL  to drop out entirely if they want (or commit to field either full teams or development teams throughout the tournament). Most of the top six would probably commit to play development teams and the Cup would then be a good route for the other Prem teams to actually win something and qualify for Europe.  

Keep the FA Cup but drop the replays and give the winners the 4th CL place. That should liven it up. 

What advantage would committing a development squad officially Vs ad hoc provide?

39 minutes ago, Captain said:

Strange, I never argued any of the things you pick up on.

I think we shouldn’t risk injury to critical players in a squad of first team players that’s down to the bare bones as I think winning the league takes priority. That’s it.

" And if we die on that hill, so be it. "

Your last line that I've quoted from your original post doesn't suggest the league as a priority.  It suggests it as the be all and end all.  And that I disagree with. 

We're easily good enough to go the whole way and win both trophies, and while we prioritise the league we should never ever disregard the FA Cup.  It's given me some of the best Liverpool associated memories of my life, and I'm greedy for more.

6 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

If we'd have done that last season there's a very good chance we wouldn't be sitting here crowing about being European and World Club Champions, as well as Super Cup winners.

No one has ever suggested not playing full strength in the CL.

Well, one fella did awhile ago.

• Upvote 1

It doesnt matter which way you cut it, there are just too many games now for elite clubs and their players. And that's even before you add in internationals. If people think it bad now, wait until this 4 yearly 24 team World Club Championship FIFA wants to introduce actually happens.

Ive said for a couple of seasons now that we need to jib both domestic cups for upto 5 years and go all out to win the league. It currently looks like we're going to be ahead of that.

I really do not want to get beat by that shower of shit tomorrow. It would be the same if we had drawn united or city. I'll go with whatever team Jurgen puts out tomorrow because paradoxically, our big lead in the league means it is even more imperative we win it. The absolute shit that will get thrown at Jurgen and the boys if they somehow manage to throw it away will be a shitfest like no other.