You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) FA Cup - 05/01/2020 - 16:01

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nightmare scenario. 

We need to sabotage the rest of our season to prevent that from happening. 

I get the reticence, but there's just no need to treat this competition seriously with our current injury list, and players in need of a break currently unable to get one. Everything into the title and champions league is more than enough to push for. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Horus said:

I get the reticence, but there's just no need to treat this competition seriously with our current injury list, and players in need of a break currently unable to get one. Everything into the title and champions league is more than enough to push for. 

What about the 40,000 plus fans that have shelled out loads to get tickets and transport to the game and will not be expecting us to give up that unbeaten record at Anfield to these (of all fucking teams) ?

Is it fuck them ?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

What about the 40,000 plus fans that have shelled out loads to get tickets and transport to the game and will not be expecting us to give up that unbeaten record at Anfield to these (of all fucking teams) ?

Is it fuck them ?

I wouldn't assume this is a personal attack on 40,000 people first off, and that seems remarkably myopic when we have a bigger picture to aim for. Everything we've moaned about for 30 years is within our grasp so the need to put it on the line with our current injuries and potential for new ones, just to beat Everton, seems like the behaviour of the bitters to me, not what we should be aiming for. I read a post on here (maybe this thread, maybe the other one) saying Everton would rather beat us in rd 3 and not win the cup, than avoid us and win the whole thing. Why risk our current position and momentum? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Aventus said:

When would the potential replay and next round be played? What do our other fixtures look like around that time? 

Fourth round is the weekend of the 25th. Two days after we're scheduled to play Wolves away and four days before our trip to West Ham. Quite rightly, if our second string do the job today they’ll almost certainly get another opportunity, whether that comes as a trip to Rochdale or a game at Anfield against Manchester United. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if the FA Cup remains as and perhaps in future embraces its place in the modern game, and sells itself as a competition for kids and squad players.

• Like 1

I think there will and should be some rotation but we should pick a team that is capable of winning.

Rightly or wrongly this game is more important because of the opponents and whilst I get that Klopp doesn't take that into account I do.

I want us to win because winning at Anfield is what we do, ending their season is a welcome bonus, the bitter cunts that they are. 

• Upvote 1

The fume if we beat these with a severely weakened team will be exquisite. I’m not ashamed to say that I’d be tempted to take the day off work tomorrow just to spend all day on GOT bathing in their rage.

It’ll be up there with the Origi last minute game when one of the old Bitters in the pub went from basically being about to light a flare to literally rolling a tear in about 3 seconds. 

Always a happy memory when I’m feeling down.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Fourth round is the weekend of the 25th. Two days after we're scheduled to play Wolves away and four days before our trip to West Ham. Quite rightly, if our second string do the job today they’ll almost certainly get another opportunity, whether that comes as a trip to Rochdale or a game at Anfield against Manchester United. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if the FA Cup remains and perhaps in future embraces its place in the modern game, and sells itself as a competition for kids and squad players.

That might work quite well when Abu Dhabi no longer runs Man City.

Everton slight favourites with the bookies. I'm sure its a bit of a ploy to get daft Evertonian money but fucking hell if we rest a load of players and lose this then its a fucking disgrace. Its one thing de-valuing the FA Cup but not a fucking Merseyside Derby particularly when they are under a new manager and have a cheeky bounce about them. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Horus said:

I wouldn't assume this is a personal attack on 40,000 people first off, and that seems remarkably myopic when we have a bigger picture to aim for. Everything we've moaned about for 30 years is within our grasp so the need to put it on the line with our current injuries and potential for new ones, just to beat Everton, seems like the behaviour of the bitters to me, not what we should be aiming for. I read a post on here (maybe this thread, maybe the other one) saying Everton would rather beat us in rd 3 and not win the cup, than avoid us and win the whole thing. Why risk our current position and momentum? 

How is one cup tie a threat to the Premier League ?  How is it risking our current position ?  And how does it help momentum if we put a team of kids out like we did at Villa and they get hosed ?

And the bigger picture ?  We've got a massive lead in the league, not one we're liable to relinquish any time soon, and a decent break after this game.  Scooby is nailed on, we rotate but still put out a team that is capable of getting the result.

Allow these cunts to come to Anfield and gift them a result ?  Fuck that.  Make the cunts fight tooth and nail for anything.

That's what the whole squad is for.  To step up up the plate when needed, not just fill in and roll over when the going gets tough.

Just now, scudger99 said:

How is one cup tie a threat to the Premier League ?  How is it risking our current position ?  And how does it help momentum if we put a team of kids out like we did at Villa and they get hosed ?

And the bigger picture ?  We've got a massive lead in the league, not one we're liable to relinquish any time soon, and a decent break after this game.  Scooby is nailed on, we rotate but still put out a team that is capable of getting the result.

Allow these cunts to come to Anfield and gift them a result ?  Fuck that.  Make the cunts fight tooth and nail for anything.

That's what the whole squad is for.  To step up up the plate when needed, not just fill in and roll over when the going gets tough.

It's threat because we have a long injury list already with other players in need of a rest. Maybe we play a full first team and come out of it 6-0 winners and no injuries, but maybe trent pulls a hammy or Robertson pulls a groin, just to see Ali beat Butterbean one more time. The risk of replays and more games in the comp is not really needed at all. They've been half way round the world and played a consistent team mostly. 

I don't understand how this is even an issue with the position we've got ourselves into, but accept people see things differently.

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Everton slight favourites with the bookies. I'm sure its a bit of a ploy to get daft Evertonian money but fucking hell if we rest a load of players and lose this then its a fucking disgrace. Its one thing de-valuing the FA Cup but not a fucking Merseyside Derby particularly when they are under a new manager and have a cheeky bounce about them. 

The FA Cup has been devalued for over a decade. It would be ultra small time to change course to the detriment of the players just because it’s Everton. If Klopp thinks it’s best to rest a lot of them, I'm confident in saying that it is indeed best to rest a lot of them. Yeah, injuries can happen at any time but they’re much more likely if players are knackered.

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Everton were about 8/1 the other day.

5 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Make of this what you will;Just heard. #LFC 

Adrian
Williams
Gomez
Phillips
Milner
Chirivella
Lallana
Minamino
Elliott
Origi
Jones

Looks like a good team to me. I’m somewhat surprised to see Gomez starting but he must be good to go, which is positive. I’m looking forward to seeing how they fare - Everton will have lost to worse sets of players over the last couple of years, that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Horus said:

It's threat because we have a long injury list already with other players in need of a rest. Maybe we play a full first team and come out of it 6-0 winners and no injuries, but maybe trent pulls a hammy or Robertson pulls a groin, just to see Ali beat Butterbean one more time. The risk of replays and more games in the comp is not really needed at all. They've been half way round the world and played a consistent team mostly. 

I don't understand how this is even an issue with the position we've got ourselves into, but accept people see things differently.

It isn't just to see Ali beat Butterbean one more time.  It's to advance to the next round of the FA Cup.  A chance for the kids to maybe get a chance if we draw the right opposition in the next round.  A potential day out at Wembley at the end of the season.

Different story if we were 3 points ahead or chasing the pack, but we aren't.  We're way out in front.  So we don't go gung ho, but we sure as fuck do not roll over.

And those injuries you mention could happen at any time, during training or warm up.  Do we ban those too for fear of injuries ?