You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) FA Cup - 05/01/2020 - 16:01

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
16 minutes ago, redinoz said:

It's pretty early for a definitive team leak.. Mayhaps there's some fuckery about from Klopp and co. Lulling the Ev into a false sense of security with them thinking it's just the kids, only to go full strength or near enough.

Mayhaps.

I was thinking this myself. One thing for sure, we'll probably have the best bench the cup has ever seen....maybe. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

At some point they are going to get a result - might as well be against the U -23s in the third round.

Far better than in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if out U23s beat them.  It certainly wouldn't be for want of trying or lack of bottle.

And one loss in the league won't kill us either.

53 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

" And if we die on that hill, so be it. "

Your last line that I've quoted from your original post doesn't suggest the league as a priority.  It suggests it as the be all and end all.  And that I disagree with. 

We're easily good enough to go the whole way and win both trophies, and while we prioritise the league we should never ever disregard the FA Cup.  It's given me some of the best Liverpool associated memories of my life, and I'm greedy for more.

You want to have your cake and eat it too.

4 minutes ago, Captain said:

You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Fucking right I do.

Brought up on watching the likes of Shankly, Paisley, Fagan doing the same thing.  I know things have changed in football, but those 3 gentlemen would be turning in their graves at the thought of this club rolling over and taking it up the arse off Everton in the FA cup.  Houllier achieved a glorious treble, why shouldn't Klopp's team strive to do the same or go one better ?

Just now, scudger99 said:

Fucking right I do.

Brought up on watching the likes of Shankly, Paisley, Fagan doing the same thing.  I know things have changed in football, but those 3 gentlemen would be turning in their graves at the thought of this club rolling over and taking it up the arse off Everton in the FA cup.  Houllier achieved a glorious treble, why shouldn't Klopp's team strive to do the same or go one better ?

I think they'd be spinning at the thought of 30 years without a league title myself. 

And YES I'm old enough to remember those days too. 

1 minute ago, scudger99 said:

Fucking right I do.

Because we haven’t won the league in 30 years.

No-one is arguing it’s impossible. I just want to make sure we get that monkey off our back.

2 minutes ago, Captain said:

Because we haven’t won the league in 30 years.

No-one is arguing it’s impossible. I just want to make sure we get that monkey off our back.

And we haven't won the FA Cup in 14 years either.

Winning or losing tomorrow in the FA Cup won't have any bearing on the outcome of the Premier League, we're only halfway through the season.

2 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

And we haven't won the FA Cup in 14 years either.

Winning or losing tomorrow in the FA Cup won't have any bearing on the outcome of the Premier League, we're only halfway through the season.

It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about avoiding injuries.

2 hours ago, rotoq said:

What advantage would committing a development squad officially Vs ad hoc provide?

It would stop the top clubs using their reserve sides in the early rounds and then bringing in their full sides for the semis and finals. This would be a good way of encouraging other teams to take it seriously as they might actually win it rather than get knocked out by a CL side as soon as the CL side decided to take the competition seriously (maybe after getting knocked out of CL). It would also be a good opportunity for development players at the top sides to get experience.  

6 minutes ago, Captain said:

It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about avoiding injuries.

Injuries happen.  They're already happening and they'll continue to happen.  We could come through tomorrow unscathed and lose two players with broken bones in our next league match.  It's like martial arts training, if you play a contact sport and are worrying about getting hurt then you're in the wrong sport.

Injuries happen.  They're already happening and they'll continue to happen.  We could come through tomorrow unscathed and lose two players with broken bones in our next league match.  It's like martial arts training, if you play a contact sport and are worrying about getting hurt then you're in the wrong sport.

Injuries do happen. 

The question is whether we risk our top players tomorrow as well as in our next (imo more important) league game.

It’s a no for me, Clive. 

12 minutes ago, Captain said:

Injuries do happen. 

The question is whether we risk our top players tomorrow as well as in our next (imo more important) league game.

It’s a no for me, Clive. 

I don't think we'll see a full strength side, but we didn't need a full strength side to twat them recently.  It's still Anfield with an unbeaten record and 40,000 plus expectant fans.  I don't see Klopp giving Everton a walkover. 

I don't think we'll see a full strength side, but we didn't need a full strength side to twat them recently.  It's still Anfield with an unbeaten record and 40,000 plus expectant fans.  I don't see Klopp giving Everton a walkover. 

It sounded very much like he was prepping a much weaker side. Basically "we respect the competition but we have to pick the side based in the circumstances" etc. They stuff he usuay says before picking a very weak side.

I'm not complaining. I don't agree with fielding reserves or kids. But it's his choice and he's done right by me so far!

I would prefer close to full strength, maybe resting the 3 that need it the most.

See the cup games today? All the big prem teams rotated. The cup isn't what it was.

I am happy with our rotation policy. Being European Champions gives me a sort of bragging rights tomorrow anyway. 

I always have the World champions ace-in-my-pocket if needed. 

Went past Selwood about half 5 earlier. Lights all on and some fella was stood on a wall in the corner looking over at them. I was dying to go and ask for a look, see if I could work out who is starting. I'm more scared of the line-up than   the actual game. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Went past Selwood about half 5 earlier. Lights all on and some fella was stood on a wall in the corner looking over at them. I was dying to go and ask for a look, see if I could work out who is starting. I'm more scared of the line-up than   the actual game. 

Is Selwood the PES version of Melwood? 

• Upvote 5

I want us to beat these tomorrow. I also want us to win the league. 

But, if Klopp thinks that resting players in this is necessary to achieve the league option, so be it. Not too many drastic changes though, hopefully. 

On a side note, it's disappointing to see that Merseyside Police will be enforcing a home and away fan segregation policy pre-match for this. 

Overkill or a sign of the increasing toxicity between the fan base of the two sides? Albeit largely by one side more than the other.