You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) FA Cup - 05/01/2020 - 16:01

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
5 hours ago, the chimp said:

Or - and I appreciate that this is new thinking for them - just concentrate on supporting Everton.

They (The Originals 1878) were also advocating a big flag with "Never Your Fault" on it too, the Hillsborough-baiting, horrible cunts. I'm with Mal on this one, we can never loose to these.

I feel the same, dish out pain as often as possible, preferably for the rest of my living days. 

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

There will be plenty of rotation imo. 

Will probably start Virg and Gomez as it would be a big ask for Phillips. 

Hopefully Shaqiri is fit enough to take part. 

Minamino and Origi will start. 

Probably Lallana and 2 of the others due to injuries. 

Lallana? Madre de dios! I too welcome our new blue overlords.

January has been Liverpool’s nemesis before. Surely not this time?

James Pearce

Liverpool have been prone to a bout of the January blues during Jurgen Klopp’s reign.

It is the time of year when injuries seem to stack up, fatigue takes its toll and form dips after the gruelling demands of the festive schedule.

Rewind to Klopp’s first winter in English football and Liverpool won only three of their nine matches in all competitions in January 2016, taking four points out of a possible 12 in the league.

A year later they kicked off 2017 with only one victory in nine matches. With Sadio Mane away at the Africa Cup of Nations, Liverpool wilted without their most potent attacking weapon as they were knocked out of both domestic cups and collected only three points from four league games.

Klopp, who had been used to a mid-season break during his time in the Bundesliga, learnt valuable lessons about the need to rotate more and placed a greater emphasis on recovery rather than training during such energy-sapping periods.

The opening month of 2018 was better but far from perfect. Buoyed by the signing of Virgil van Dijk from Southampton, Liverpool started brightly with four wins before losing their way as a chastening league defeat at lowly Swansea City was followed by crashing out of the FA Cup at the hands of struggling West Brom.

Twelve months ago, Liverpool endured a new year wobble that ultimately proved decisive in the Premier League title race. There was the narrow defeat by rivals Manchester City at the Etihad before a much-changed line up lost to Wolverhampton Wanderers in the FA Cup. Two points were thrown away on an icy night at home to Leicester City after nervy wins over Brighton and Crystal Palace.

For those desperately searching for a chink in the armour of the Premier League leaders, Liverpool’s habit of stumbling in January has provided a glimmer of hope that they could yet be denied the glory of a 19th top-flight crown.

Yet the opening chapter of 2020 only served to fuel the growing belief that Klopp’s men are now a very different beast. Victory over Sheffield United at Anfield was secured with an absolute minimum of fuss. A third game in the space of a week isn’t physically draining when you enjoy dominance and control to this extent.

Liverpool’s 969 passes was the highest ever recorded by a team in the Premier League. Once Mane had doubled the lead given to the hosts by Mohamed Salah, Klopp’s men were able to conserve energy while re-establishing their 13-point lead at the top. At times it was akin to a training exercise.

“We never laid a glove on them,” confessed Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder. “The first balls, second balls, running forward, tackling, defending, being aggressive, Liverpool showed all those qualities. Not only technically, but tactically, they are a fantastic side.”

Liverpool have gone an entire year unbeaten in the league — securing 32 wins and five draws. They have also kept five successive league clean sheets for the first time since 2007 under Rafael Benitez.

January remains far from straightforward. On Sunday there’s the small matter of a Merseyside derby in the FA Cup at Anfield before league games with Tottenham (away), Manchester United (home), Wolves (away) and West Ham (home). If the cushion at the top is still in double figures come February then Liverpool fans really will be in dreamland.

Just like in previous Januarys, Klopp’s squad is heavily depleted. After Naby Keita limped out of Thursday night’s warm-up complaining of discomfort in his groin, Liverpool were left with only 12 fit and available senior outfield players.

However, new signing Takumi Minamino will boost that total when he makes his debut against Everton on Sunday. The Japan international watched on wide-eyed against Sheffield United from his seat behind Liverpool’s bench — filming the rousing rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone.

The Anfield press box is already over-subscribed for Sunday as a result of the influx of requests from Japanese media looking to attend.

Joel Matip, Dejan Lovren, Fabinho, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Xherdan Shaqiri will all be on the comeback trail over the coming weeks and there are some gifted youngsters ready and waiting to grasp their opportunity.

Klopp will make wholesale changes for the visit of Carlo Ancelotti’s side, risking Liverpool’s proud unbeaten record in derby games at Anfield that stretches back to 1999.

Adam Lallana and Divock Origi look certain to start, while rookies Neco Williams, Nat Phillips, Ki-Jana Hoever, Yasser Larouci, Harvey Elliott, Curtis Jones and Rhian Brewster are all in contention to feature.

“I will do what I think is right to do,” says Klopp. “Some things I can decide by myself and some things the medical department will tell me. The only advantage we have is Anfield. We need support from the first second.”

It will be a selection gamble based on the understanding that the FA Cup is a distant third in the list of priorities for Liverpool after the Premier League and the Champions League.

A far bigger game than Everton is the following Saturday’s trip to Tottenham when, if Liverpool triumph, they will have made the best-ever start to a top-flight campaign in the history of English football — surpassing the Manchester City side of 2017-18. Nothing is more important than ending that 30-year title drought.

Jordan Henderson, who continued his outstanding form against Sheffield United, recently told The Athletic how Klopp had adjusted his regime to help Liverpool deliver more around the midway point of the season.

“I think the manager has changed a little bit in dealing with this time of year, in terms of recovery days and when to give people a rest,” Henderson says. “Bringing in doing treatment and recovery stuff at home during a really intensive period worked really well. It helps the freshness of the players.”

In terms of playing minutes, there hasn’t been a major difference among key personnel. For example, in December 2018, Salah played 640 minutes, Mane 528 minutes, Roberto Firmino 593 minutes and Virgil van Dijk 720 minutes. In December 2019, Salah played 639 minutes, Mane 592 minutes, Firmino 556 minutes and Van Dijk 660 minutes.

But it’s between games where Klopp has altered his approach and sought to lighten the load. “During this period of the season recovery is the main thing,” assistant boss Pep Lijnders tells The Athletic.

“As Jurgen always says, recovery starts in the mind. We have to speak with them and discuss what the next game looks like and how can we recover better depending on whether we have two or three nights of sleep between games?

“You have to make the players aware that the recovery process is so important because with the way we play we need that freshness and spontaneity. Without that, our game doesn’t look the same way.

“The most important aspect is to keep the team fresh knowing that what puts us above the rest is our mentality. Our game requires creativity and spontaneity. It requires passion and hunger so balance in the schedule is very important.

“Video is also a key tool to give impulses in our way of playing, in strategy, in set-pieces and to create team focus. I think if you analysed any successful European side you’ll see that they have a strong video meeting in common.”

Time and time again this season when Klopp has rotated, players on the fringes of the Liverpool squad have stepped up when required and kept standards high.

“That’s down to the fact that we always train at the same level of intensity as when we play,” explains Lijnders.

Liverpool’s rivals believed a trip to Qatar for the Club World Cup might knock Klopp’s men out of their stride. Now they will cling to the hope that an unwanted FA Cup derby could dent momentum. But whatever the outcome at Anfield on Sunday, physically, tactically and mentally, the current crop look to have all the tools to succeed where Klopp’s Liverpool previously fell short.

They aren’t feeling the pressure. They are simply relishing it.

Gk   Adrian 

Back 4 any of - gomez,williams,van den berg,laroucci,robbo,hoever,

Midfield any of-    milner, jones,henderson,lallana

Front 3 any of - shaqiri,origi,brewster,elliott

Id imagine van dijk will get a complete rest, maybe hendo mane mo or bobby on the bench. Il be amazed if klopp does'nt make massive changes for this. You only have to look at the injuries over xmas the likes of Villa and Newcastle have suffered and Spurs have now lost Kane for at least a month.

I'd rest almost all the players that played against Sheffield. Maybe only play Milner. We looked dead against Wolves in the last 20 minutes and I'm surprised how well we played yesterday. Fuck, it's our best chance in 30 years to win the league.

Giving them players 9 days off up to the Spurs game could be the difference in us winning the league & champions league again and maybe even going invincible. Fuck the F.A cup, we can win it next year. 

I agree with those that say maintaining the Anfield dominance over them is important for future league meetings, especially if Ancelotti makes them more competitive over the next couple of seasons. 

That said, from a pragmatic point of view, you'd have played the LC team again for this one, were it anyone but Everton FFS. Just a bastard of a draw that Big Divock will hopefully navigate carefully with a well-timed hattrick. Big Ali in goal down the other end saving everything in sight. Hello 4th round!

1 hour ago, BCM said:

Gk   Adrian 

Back 4 any of - gomez,williams,van den berg,laroucci,robbo,hoever,

Midfield any of-    milner, jones,henderson,lallana

Front 3 any of - shaqiri,origi,brewster,elliott

Id imagine van dijk will get a complete rest, maybe hendo mane mo or bobby on the bench. Il be amazed if klopp does'nt make massive changes for this. You only have to look at the injuries over xmas the likes of Villa and Newcastle have suffered and Spurs have now lost Kane for at least a month.

Shaqiri is out and Taki should be able to play some part if only from the subs bench. Of those who played against Sheff United last night, Gomez, Trent, Lallana, Sadio and Mo looked OK with the exertion.

But it wouldnt surprise me if Jurgen pulls a fast one and goes with a stronger side than many expect. We have 5 days rest after this game and play Spurs on the 6th day.

Wouldnt surprise me if the team is

Allison

Trent Gomez van Dijk Robbo

Jones Milner Lallana

Sadio Origi Mo

I'd go with;

--------------------Allison------------------

Williams---Phillips---Hoever--------Larouci

-------------Milner----------Lallana---------------

--------------------Minamino----------------------

Elliott----------------Origi-----------------Jones----

I think we'd put up a decent fight with this team, I don't want anyone of the back 4 near this one, our cover is a bit better further up the field is much better, and all of Lallana/Milner/Origi/Minamino would appreciate the game time. I'd prefer that the other potential starters get a rest.

As others have said, the FA cup is normally a bit down on our priority list, losing to Everton would definitely hurt, but losing one of Gomez/VVd, Robertson/Trent for an extended period would hurt a lot more. They must be on the brink of exhaustion as well as susceptible to injuries after the grueling schedule they've been through.

Torn on this, as I would like us to keep our record vs the blues, but I think bigger picture we'll struggle with the amount of games later on anyway. Hopefully the players that get the chance put in a great shift and do us proud.

In the spirit of ending decades of not winning certain things, IF we play a weakened side and IF Ancelotti somehow gets this rabble to play cohesive football and if aliens land in the centre circle at half time.

Then I'd quite like them to go and win it, the aliens that is. Fuck the bitters, I hope they go a hundred years or more with no trophies. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bee Jesus said:

In the spirit of ending decades of not winning certain things, IF we play a weakened side and IF Ancelotti somehow gets this rabble to play cohesive football and if aliens land in the centre circle at half time.

Then I'd quite like them to go and win it, the aliens that is. Fuck the bitters, I hope they go a hundred years or more with no trophies. 

Which former poster is this?