You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia is Burning

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Hopefully people can manage to stay safe and ride out the storm. Looks horrific. 

But the evidence is right before our eyes. The planet is fucked. With so many "Conservative" and "Liberal" governments in power around the world, it's not going to improve either. All civilizations eventually come crashing down, start of ours dying off? Bring it on. Let me see us collect 19 first though. 

Haven’t the Norwegian Conservatives partnered with the Green Party? 

Spent the summer of 2018, bags packed, under an evacuation alert due to forest fires.

An interesting experience, in retrospect. 

Not in any danger, as we were free to flee north, but still extremely unsettling.

I hope it rains soon, as that's all that will stop it.

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Have to admit when the lady with the dog started shouting I was just waiting for her to shout "A dingo stole my baby"

But fuck me its horrific 

He’s a complete and utter fucking bullshit artist, Scotty from marketing is his more polite nickname over here. Utter mendacity of the fucker, they were warned this would happen and still cut budgets, went to Hawaii on tucking holiday. Straight out the populist mould of Trump and Johnson, made promises he knew he wouldn’t keep, only got in due to more fear of immigration. 

9 hours ago, Trumo said:

But not the venomous snakes and spiders I'd imagine.

In all seriousness though, for all the complaints to the authorities and the government so on, how exactly do you deal with an environmental and ecological disaster on this scale? Sure there's a case for prevention and investment in that prevention but you can't really plan for and invest significant sums in tackling something that has so many contributing factors that have all aligned at exactly the same time. Right now, what's important is that the fires can be tackled as best as possible with as little loss of life as possible, while trying to keep people informed as much as possible. The learning process that follows on from that will be key in helping to minimise the destruction as much as possible in future events.

Those in the emergency services and the volunteer forces are doing an amazing job under the circumstances.

The Bush has been managed by controlled burns for Millenia. The white fella continued doing this, but over recent years government got “smarter” and more efficient, then reduced the  amount and frequency so we are where we are.

have a read of dark emu by Bruce Pascoe. The current government are backing a scorched earth policy at the behest of big corporations, bushfires will always happen, however they can be managed a lot better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

The current government are backing a scorched earth policy at the behest of big corporations, bushfires will always happen, however they can be managed a lot better.

This, Cev.

The one thing I hate about what's happening right now is the politicisation of it.

Some are carrying on as if fires have never happened in this country - climate change activists are fucking delighted, using it as the latest political echo chamber.

Fires have been just as tragic and devastating in the past - I almost never made it past 2 months old in the Hobart bushfires of 1967. 62 dead, obliterated towns.

Then there was 1983, 2009... many many more died then.

Fires are not getting worse, they are merely still happening.

It is what it is, and always has been.

Rather than making it another fucking political football, left/right plat du jour, science lab circle jerk... how about we just fucking find a way to manage it better?

Not another "I/we/science fucking told you so" wankfest.

Do something - rather than making it the usual Champagne-cloistered contretemps about political persuasion.

We invaders have known fires happen for 250 years now.

Civilisation is at its most "advanced" apparently.

And yet we still fuck about with hoses and fucking shovels.

Fuck the politics, or who's right and wrong, and do something about saving lives NOW.

Lives are just as important now as they will be in 50 years time, aren't they?

If any sitting government got off its selfish, apathetic arse and actually took more proactive measures... it might mute the fucking boring, theoretical, gainsaying political agenda that inevitably vampires every planetary disaster that occurs these days.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, skaro said:

This, Cev.

The one thing I hate about what's happening right now is the politicisation of it.

Some are carrying on as if fires have never happened in this country - climate change activists are fucking delighted, using it as the latest political echo chamber.

Fires have been just as tragic and devastating in the past - I almost never made it past 2 months old in the Hobart bushfires of 1967. 62 dead, obliterated towns.

Rather than making it another fucking political football, left/right plat du jour, science lab circle jerk... how about we just fucking find a way to manage it better?

Do something - rather than making it the usual Champagne-cloistered contretemps about political persuasion.

Fuck the politics, or who's right and wrong, and do something about saving lives NOW.

If any sitting government got off its selfish, apathetic arse and actually took more proactive measures... it might mute the fucking boring, theoretical, gainsaying political agenda that inevitably vampires every planetary disaster that occurs these days.

giphy (6).gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skaro said:

This, Cev.

I agree the most urgent action is to get help John, but the politics is fundamental to this situation, and I don’t back the actions of the current Labour Party as long that much better than the LNP.

but the way that absolute charlatan Morrison has handled all of this is utterly despicable. The LNP have continued with the cuts, and they should pay for it next election.

there should also be a focus on how to best manage the controlled burn, and a promise that the budgets required will come before tax cuts, and start paying the volunteers and rural fire service properly. It’s a job, pay them for it.

18 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

I agree the most urgent action is to get help John, but the politics is fundamental to this situation, and I don’t back the actions of the current Labour Party as long that much better than the LNP.

but the way that absolute charlatan Morrison has handled all of this is utterly despicable. The LNP have continued with the cuts, and they should pay for it next election.

there should also be a focus on how to best manage the controlled burn, and a promise that the budgets required will come before tax cuts, and start paying the volunteers and rural fire service properly. It’s a job, pay them for it.

True, mate.

But the sad fact you mention above... is that the fundamental politics is wholly inadequate on either side of the philosophical divide.

And the reason Labor's position on it is no better than ScoMo's is because of a fear of us, the people: doing the "right thing" - like closing a mine or spending money on winter bushfire precautions - is just as likely to be punished at the polls... on selfish economic grounds... by "us" middle class arrivistes, who want jobs/homes/holidays/pensions.

Damned if you do etc... because of a desperation to gain/hold on to (fleeting) power.

It's a sad ring of fire.

5 hours ago, skaro said:

This, Cev.

I thought the point was that due to CC the ground is drier as there’s been less rain. So whilst the number of fires doesn’t change, the scale and impact is much greater.