You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia is Burning

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I thought the point was that due to CC the ground is drier as there’s been less rain. So whilst the number of fires doesn’t change, the scale and impact is much greater.  

... which doesn't alter the fact that we've started to take short cuts on fire prevention measures - ie not burning off in the winter as we should and always have done.

The issue here is a scummy, self-serving government cost-cutting/prioritising other things and not funding/facilitating measures that have combatted fires since time immemorial - or in the white man's case, about 250 years.

We have always been a very, very dry country - always getting drier.  A tinderbox.

Bushfires are not an emerging, climate change issue here.  

Climate change issues need to be addressed as a matter of ongoing policy, for sure.

I can understand us worrying about being under water in 100 years - but this hot, bushfire thing in Australia is not new news.  

It is, first and foremost, a failure of traditional due process - and making the necessary upgrades on it.

But I'm just an old, white bloke, so take that with a grain of salt, and contempt.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, skaro said:

This, Cev.

The one thing I hate about what's happening right now is the politicisation of it.

Some are carrying on as if fires have never happened in this country - climate change activists are fucking delighted, using it as the latest political echo chamber.

Fires have been just as tragic and devastating in the past - I almost never made it past 2 months old in the Hobart bushfires of 1967. 62 dead, obliterated towns.

Then there was 1983, 2009... many many more died then.

Fires are not getting worse, they are merely still happening.

It is what it is, and always has been.

Rather than making it another fucking political football, left/right plat du jour, science lab circle jerk... how about we just fucking find a way to manage it better?

Not another "I/we/science fucking told you so" wankfest.

Do something - rather than making it the usual Champagne-cloistered contretemps about political persuasion.

We invaders have known fires happen for 250 years now.

Civilisation is at its most "advanced" apparently.

And yet we still fuck about with hoses and fucking shovels.

Fuck the politics, or who's right and wrong, and do something about saving lives NOW.

Lives are just as important now as they will be in 50 years time, aren't they?

If any sitting government got off its selfish, apathetic arse and actually took more proactive measures... it might mute the fucking boring, theoretical, gainsaying political agenda that inevitably vampires every planetary disaster that occurs these days.

Nup, fuck off 

I don't care how unpopular this is going to be I'm just going to say it,

You reap what you sow, Australia has been one of the leading lights in terms of climate change denialism and blockage of any attempt internationally to move towards emissions reductions. It's population have been voting in climate change denialist governments for ages even though it only takes a brief google to realise the effect climate change will have on the tinder box continent:

https://www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au/en/climate-projections/future-climate/regional-climate-change-explorer/super-clusters/?current=ESC&tooltip=true&popup=true

I was pissing myself the other day when there was some lad on the BBC saying through prayer the fires stopped before it engulfed them on the beach, how about stop praying and start backing green party candidates, reducing the vast array of fossil fuels you are using domestically/exporting abroad, cutting your emissions and making a noise about this on the international stage?

All I would say is if you want masses paid in infrastructure/climate change mitigation to deal with the fires are you happy with your taxes ballooning and probably the cost of every other state run/funded service going?

If not, then get ready for a sizable chunk of your country and proportion of your population to look like an ashen wasteland most summers, 

It's a pity Britain is so servile, it will no doubt let loads of Australians and expat brits back into the UK, when if there was some justice they would park them in the Jungle like the aussies do on Nauru and Manus.

People reading this may think I've had an empathy bypass, but seriously given the Australian government/media/populations record on this issue I say fuck em, let them burn.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Nup, fuck off 

You reap what you sow, Australia has been one of the leading lights in terms of climate change denialism and blockage of any attempt internationally to move towards emissions reductions. It's population have been voting in climate change denialist governments for ages even though it only takes a brief google to realise the effect climate change will have on the tinder box continent:

https://www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au/en/climate-projections/future-climate/regional-climate-change-explorer/super-clusters/?current=ESC&tooltip=true&popup=true

I was pissing myself the other day when there was some lad on the BBC saying through prayer the fires stopped before it engulfed them on the beach, how about stop praying and start backing green party candidates, reducing the vast array of fossil fuels you are using domestically/exporting abroad, cutting your emissions and making a noise about this on the international stage?

All I would say is if you want masses paid in infrastructure/climate change mitigation to deal with the fires are you happy with your taxes ballooning and probably the cost of every other state run/funded service going?

If not, then get ready for a sizable chunk of your country and proportion of your population to look like an ashen wasteland most summers, 

It's a pity Britain is so servile, it will no doubt let loads of Australians and expat brits back into the UK, when if there was some justice they would park them in the Jungle like the aussies do on Nauru and Manus.

People reading this may think I've had an empathy bypass, but seriously given the Australian government/media/populations record on this issue I say fuck em, let them burn.

Thanks for the lesson on my country, mate.  And thanks, I'll stay fucked off.

(I've just posted specifically on the bushfire issue again too, but don't trouble yourself)

And I'm sure Britain is not servile enough to have me, so rest easy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, skaro said:

Thanks for the lesson on my country, mate.

And I'm sure Britain is not servile enough to have me, so rest easy.

Wouldnae worry, with our gang of right wing cunts in charge anyone who is whiter than a greek and if from 'the right kind of place' will have easy passage over here.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

No thanks.

And what has the colour of Greeks got to do with it?

Our weather will be like madeira's by 2050, that might temp some :0)

It'll just be the insect population collapse, waves of immigrations, sea level rise and endless flooding which will give the brits something to moan about.

The Greeks comment was a bit throw away, but I think immigration policies will start to reflect white nationalist attitudes to an event greater extent than the current practice.

3 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Our weather will be like madeira's by 2050, that might temp some :0)

It'll just be the insect population collapse, waves of immigrations, sea level rise and endless flooding which will give the brits something to moan about.

The Greeks comment was a bit throw away, but I think immigration policies will start to reflect white nationalist attitudes to an event greater extent than the current practice.

Well, mate, the white nationalists will have a fairly pyrrhic win under water.

And there'll be no bushfires there either.

The red snapper will be the winners.

And Yellow Submarine will finally get the recognition it deserves.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

Well, mate, the white nationalists will have a fairly pyrrhic win under water.

And there'll be no bushfires there either.

The red snapper will be the winners.

And Yellow Submarine will finally get the recognition it deserves.

Yup need to develop some gills

waterworld-costner-hopper.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Nup, fuck off 

I lived in Brisbane in 2007,8 and 9. I would broadly agree with your comments.

if you think people in the UK are intellectually challenged and short sighted (i.e. voting for Johnson) then they seem like natural geniuses compared to the average Aussie

35 minutes ago, redheart said:

I lived in Brisbane in 2007,8 and 9. I would broadly agree with your comments.

if you think people in the UK are intellectually challenged and short sighted (i.e. voting for Johnson) then they seem like natural geniuses compared to the average Aussie

That settles the discussion then.

18 hours ago, skaro said:

This, Cev.

The one thing I hate about what's happening right now is the politicisation of it.

Some are carrying on as if fires have never happened in this country - climate change activists are fucking delighted, using it as the latest political echo chamber.

Fires have been just as tragic and devastating in the past - I almost never made it past 2 months old in the Hobart bushfires of 1967. 62 dead, obliterated towns.

Then there was 1983, 2009... many many more died then.

Fires are not getting worse, they are merely still happening.

It is what it is, and always has been.

Rather than making it another fucking political football, left/right plat du jour, science lab circle jerk... how about we just fucking find a way to manage it better?

Not another "I/we/science fucking told you so" wankfest.

Do something - rather than making it the usual Champagne-cloistered contretemps about political persuasion.

We invaders have known fires happen for 250 years now.

Civilisation is at its most "advanced" apparently.

And yet we still fuck about with hoses and fucking shovels.

Fuck the politics, or who's right and wrong, and do something about saving lives NOW.

Lives are just as important now as they will be in 50 years time, aren't they?

If any sitting government got off its selfish, apathetic arse and actually took more proactive measures... it might mute the fucking boring, theoretical, gainsaying political agenda that inevitably vampires every planetary disaster that occurs these days.

No one is delighted you quim 

Yes, Australia has always had bushfires but never this many, so widespread, so early and so destructive. This year, they are different in many ways. It has nothing to do with the winter burnoffs - the current and ex fire chiefs and fire scientists agree. The burnoffs targets for NSW were met. Hot dry winters are not a good time for burnoffs. The LNP (Australias Tories) like to blame the environmentalists but is is the usual right wing blame shifting. Don't forget the rural fire service is volunteer - you can't expect them to do all the work that is necessary, especially when the LNP state gov't has gutted the capital funding budget. It actually costs to be a volunteer, no expenses paid for any travelling or out-of pocket expenses - some members of my local brigade travel 10 miles or more.

We are in the middle of a horror drought symptomatic of the changing climate exacerbated by the corruption of the politicians and greed of large irrigators and miners who have managed to dry  our largest river system and alter the water table. This has enormously increased the fuel loads especially in the crowns of the trees.

The fires this season has burnt rainforests that were considered fireproof, swamps have burnt. The area and scale of the fires are unprecedented. Not only have mind boggling numbers of animals been roasted but the scale and intensity of the fires has destroyed entire ecosystems.

I came back to Australia before Christmas to my home of 20 years to find a layer of ash from fires 20 km away, orange sunsets and a visible smoke haze. I leave again next week and I despair to think of what I will return to.

• Upvote 3