You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia is Burning

Bjornebye

Worthy of its own thread now. 

It is beyond control. 7 day state of emergency declared in NSW. They reckon it is going to hit 115 degrees.... Thats all they need right now. Two of my best mates live out there. One in Sydney and one in Melbourne. I know we have a good few off here living out there as well. Hope to god none of you get badly affecting by it. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/02/australia/australia-fire-evacuation-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Hopefully people can manage to stay safe and ride out the storm. Looks horrific. 

But the evidence is right before our eyes. The planet is fucked. With so many "Conservative" and "Liberal" governments in power around the world, it's not going to improve either. All civilizations eventually come crashing down, start of ours dying off? Bring it on. Let me see us collect 19 first though. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Have quite a few relations in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. They say the PM/Gov't are getting a lot of hate atm. 

Have to admit when the lady with the dog started shouting I was just waiting for her to shout "A dingo stole my baby"

But fuck me its horrific 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Thanks bruv.

I got the obligatory invites to visit them this year, I don't think so. Reckon the heat would do for me. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

This is what God does to you when you let aRdja move in. 

He'll rock up with his rainbow Trabs and all will be right with Australia. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Estimated 480 million animals dead.  Species likely to be extinct or critically threatened by this single event.

Devastating and real sad mate. 

49 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Estimated 480 million animals dead.  Species likely to be extinct or critically threatened by this single event.

But not the venomous snakes and spiders I'd imagine.

In all seriousness though, for all the complaints to the authorities and the government so on, how exactly do you deal with an environmental and ecological disaster on this scale? Sure there's a case for prevention and investment in that prevention but you can't really plan for and invest significant sums in tackling something that has so many contributing factors that have all aligned at exactly the same time. Right now, what's important is that the fires can be tackled as best as possible with as little loss of life as possible, while trying to keep people informed as much as possible. The learning process that follows on from that will be key in helping to minimise the destruction as much as possible in future events.

Those in the emergency services and the volunteer forces are doing an amazing job under the circumstances.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

But not the venomous snakes and spiders I'd imagine.

In all seriousness though, for all the complaints to the authorities and the government so on, how exactly do you deal with an environmental and ecological disaster on this scale? Sure there's a case for prevention and investment in that prevention but you can't really plan for and invest significant sums in tackling something that has so many contributing factors that have all aligned at exactly the same time. Right now, what's important is that the fires can be tackled as best as possible with as little loss of life as possible, while trying to keep people informed as much as possible. The learning process that follows on from that will be key in helping to minimise the destruction as much as possible in future events.

Those in the emergency services and the volunteer forces are doing an amazing job under the circumstances.

The fume from residents is due to the current Gov't stance on climate change and the fact the PM fucked off on holiday, which he had to cut short due to the growing complaints. Also at the lack of action in some of the more remote/small towns hit by the disaster.