You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Miscellaneous LFC Stuff...

AngryOfTuebrook

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've just watched that.. a 4 minute advert for a coconut product. 

Bit much like

Fucking funny stuff. And if having an "official coconut milk partner" helps us to make profits despite record transfer spending, who am I to complain?

(I still draw the line at Nivea, like.)

MUCH better than the one with Rushie and a hologram of Sir Bob. The basic idea is a bit like the Hovis ad with the kid returning home through a timeline of significant events in British history, which is one of my favourite TV ads ever.

YNWA is sacred and I don't like the idea of a company using it to promote themselves but something landed in my eye right about the time when a tear dripped down her face after we lost the league in 2014. I couldn't get it out and I missed the end and have had to walk into another room so no-one thinks I'm crying. 

12 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Can’t be arsed watching that now, but I was living in Liverpool then at uni, and spent the day drinking and singing around the grass between the docks and paradise street having a simply wonderful day.

dont need to watch it for a smile to have come across my face.

On 03/03/2020 at 17:02, Bjornebye said:

YNWA is sacred and I don't like the idea of a company using it to promote themselves but something landed in my eye right about the time when a tear dripped down her face after we lost the league in 2014. I couldn't get it out and I missed the end and have had to walk into another room so no-one thinks I'm crying. 

I lasted until "well done, lads".

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Can’t be arsed watching that now, but I was living in Liverpool then at uni, and spent the day drinking and singing around the grass between the docks and paradise street having a simply wonderful day.

dont need to watch it for a smile to have come across my face.

I was massively hung over. I went down to the Strand with my brother.  One of his mates worked in the ship's chandlers down there (Lamb's?) and he'd nabbed a couple of airhorns from stock. At one point he thought it was hilarious to blast it right into my stinking drunken face. I'm not sure if it was the noise or the propellants that made me spew.

Still a great day.

On 03/03/2020 at 16:54, Trumo said:

MUCH better than the one with Rushie and a hologram of Sir Bob. The basic idea is a bit like the Hovis ad with the kid returning home through a timeline of significant events in British history, which is one of my favourite TV ads ever.

It's just lacking that little bit of Leighton Baines looking creepy when she's young.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was just reading an article about Ron Yeats and it said 

Halfway through the campaign, Yeats was appointed as the Club's new captain, replacing Dick White. His first game with the armband, on Boxing Day 1961, ended in a 1-0 defeat to Rotherham United

But this was alongside a picture of him leading the team out, without an armband.  

yeats_red_475.jpg

I've fallen into assuming that Captains have always worn armbands, even though I've obviously seen loads of captains without them.  It's just something I'd never really noticed or thought about.  I started looking for when armbands became the norm.  I think I've pinned it down to 1985/86 for domestic games.

Anyway, it gave me an excuse to dig out some great pictures of captains.

Phil Thompson 1980

3rd May 1980, Division 1, Liverpool captain Phil Thompson lifts... News  Photo - Getty Images

Graeme Souness 1982/3

Graeme Souness: 'I won't go back to football' | Daily Mail Online

Graeme Souness - March 1984

28th March 1984, Milk Cup Final Replay at Maine Road, Liverpool 1 v... News  Photo - Getty Images

Phil Neal, March 1985

March 1985 Division 1 Liverpool 0 v Manchester United 1 Liverpool full back Phil Neal calls for more effort Phil Neal won 16 major honours with. Liverpool Fc, Gerrard Liverpool, Liverpool Football Club, Manchester United, Phil Neal, This Is Anfield, You'll Never Walk Alone, Retro Football, One Team

And finally... a banded Alan Hansen, 1986

BBC SPORT | Football | FA Cup | When Dalglish did the Double

Maybe they were a European thing first.

Tommy Smith, 1973

tphoto on Twitter: "Tommy Smith(liverpool) and Günter Netzer(Borussia  Mönchengladbach) 1972-73 UEFA Cup Final 2nd leg, Borussia Mönchengladbach  vs Liverpool 2-0 at Mönchengladbach, West Germany on 23 May 1973 Photo by  Masahide Tomikoshi /

Emlyn Hughes, 1977

Emlyn Hughes - Telegraph

Phil Thompson 1981

This Liverpool FC legend is the VIP guest at a Lostock Hall sports dinner |  Lancashire Evening Post