You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Wolves 0 (Dec 29 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Good old VAR eh? Slag it off all you like, and God knows I have, but without it we’d have dickheads like Anthony Taylor and Martin Atkinson shafting us without impunity. Put it this way, if we’d had VAR last season we’d have won the league. 

Unfortunately there was no video to over-rule Taylor when he failed to send Vincent Kompany off at the Etihad, or to correct the errors of Atkinson when he didn’t send Harry Maguire off and later waived away a blatant penalty when Keita was upended against Leicester. 

We’d have been screwed in this game too without the video cleaning up Taylor’s mess. Manchester’s finest did his best to screw us over again when he scandalously tried to disallow a perfectly good Sadio Mané goal. His whole performance was exactly what you'd expect if you put someone from Manchester in charge of a Liverpool game.

I'd be the same if you let me loose at Old Trafford or the Etihad, only I'm not a qualified referee and even if I were they wouldn't let me anywhere near those games, and rightly so. Taylor is allowed to have his fun with us a few times a year though, for some reason. 

It was 40 minutes before he awarded us a free-kick. Is that a record? He only gave us three free kicks in the entire game. THREE!!! Again, that has to be a record, surely? A foul every half an hour of play in a game in which we dominated possession. Dodgy little baldy twat. 

Most refs are shit and Taylor falls into that category for sure, but just like Atkinson there’s more to it than that. I’m not suggesting he’s been paid off, I’m just saying that consciously or subconsciously, he’s out to do us over.

Let’s look at the Mané goal for example. Firstly, even I could see from my seat on the other side of the ground there was no handball there. It was obvious it was Lallana’s chest with a little bit of shoulder to assist with the controlling of the lay off. If it had come off his arm the flight of the ball would have been vastly different.

So that was never a handball in a million years. That being said, if Taylor thought there might be a hint of an arm, that’s fine, let VAR check it. The one thing he should not be doing in that situation is making that call himself and blowing his whistle. Yet he did. Interesting.

The VAR check took ages, which made me believe that Taylor’s decision would be upheld because if there is doubt they are supposed to side with the on field decision. The delay suggested there was doubt but it turns out there wasn’t. They knew immediately there was no handball. 

So why the delay? Because that cunt Taylor blew his whistle, that’s why. If he’d managed to get that whistle blown a split second earlier then VAR wouldn’t have been able to do anything about it. Thankfully the ball was in the net before he blew.

So again, why is he getting involved in that situation when there is quite literally no need for him to do anything? If Lallana had handled VAR would pick it up and there’s no harm done by him not interfering. By him getting involved though the whole thing could have been fucked.

He’s a disgrace. Mind you, so were the Wolves players, led by Conor Coady (more on him later). Why exactly were they surrounding Taylor before and after the VAR decision? He fucking disallowed the goal you soft cunts. He’s on your side! Some fella in Stockley Park overturned him, but the Wolves players were giving Taylor grief. Gang of mings.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Nice report Dave, This team are bloody fantastic at running through walls. Over the Klopp years he’s added grit and consistency to what was already a team with flair and creativity. The best back 5 in world football, a hard-working midfield and the most dangerous trio up front. What a time to be a red!

• Upvote 3

Anything from the Academy days sticking for you regarding your opinion of Coady, Dave?  Laughing after getting shown red in that scrap with Tunnicliffe?

I like Coady, don't really feel too annoyed at him feeling hard done by straight after coming off.  Fully believe he wants us to win this season, but he's a professional (def full of himself, but that's footballers for you) and clearly wants to win for himself ahead of anything. Can respect that, hopefully he learns not to speak too soon on these things in future.

• Upvote 1

A great report as always.

I'm not sure I agree with even the thought of going weak in the league to go strong against Everton. I know the lead is big but after 30 years of pain and a very painful last season in the league I can't imagine anything but absolute ruthlessness in this years league campaign.

After this season we can drop that ruthlessness if necessary. I'd go full strength in the next league game though or maybe just with a bit of rotation. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423

The frame rate of the cameras used for VAR is 50FPS easily enough to see the ball release.

All this whining is just that whining. 

After all what else will the dickheads on Sky talk about if they couldn't whine?

Also the Offside but not offside enough angle is fucking hilarious.

Like Mickey Flanagan doing his 'Out Out' routine.

There is also an easy solution for Wolves and their multiple Var decisions going against them claim.

Stop being offside you inbred fuckwits.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

A great report as always.

I'm not sure I agree with even the thought of going weak in the league to go strong against Everton. I know the lead is big but after 30 years of pain and a very painful last season in the league I can't imagine anything but absolute ruthlessness in this years league campaign.

After this season we can drop that ruthlessness if necessary. I'd go full strength in the next league game though or maybe just with a bit of rotation. 

We actually have an extra day leading up to Sheffield Utd than we had for Wolves - so picking the strongest side available is the correct option.

• Upvote 1

Rewind to Dec 29th 2010 - Liverpool 0 Wolves 1 on a very cold night at Anfield, probably the most miserable time I have ever spent at a football match (even if it was the final nail in Roy's coffin).  Liverpool were woeful and clueless against a poor Wolves who got off the bottom of the league with that win.

Rewind 24 hours and on a cold afternoon at Anfield we saw an assured Liverpool battle their way to a deserved win whilst not firing on all cylinders. Witness Lallana's tackle on Traore (mentioned in Dave's report) when already on a booking.  Salah battling for every ball upfront despite having the towering Kilman hanging all over him (forget Taylor awarding a foul for that).  Bobby chasing lost causes all over the field. Mane doing his bit for the team by doubling up on Traore for the last 20 minutes.  Gini & Hendo battling for everything in midfield despite all the pushing and pulling going on. 

And the back four just doing their jobs - as usual.  

A team with the heart (and soul) of a champion.

• Upvote 2

Great report as ever, Dave. I've read recently that Taylor is supposed to be our second best ref after Oliver. What does that say about the rest of them? This is the man who missed the most obvious penalty in the Spurs v Chelsea game and had to be helped out by VAR. After that he should have been dropped but instead continues to be appointed to big games.

I liked Wolves when I saw them in their promotion season at Brentford. A very good team, well coached and playing good football. The left back, Vinagre, who impressed you, played really well in that game and I'm surprised that he hasn't featured more often. One to keep an eye on, I think. Wolves' fans though.....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tlw content said:

"Dodgy little baldy twat", "He’s a disgrace", "the fucking gimp" 

I'm fucking loving that Dave. More please. 

No question VAR got both decisions absolutely right. Thank fuck it took Taylor's two dreadful decisions out of the equation.

His biggest regret of 2019 will be failing to blow the whistle a nanosecond earlier for Lallana's non-existent handball. A nanosecond and the ball hasn't crossed the goal line. Then Mane's goal is legitimately disallowed. He must be fuming he didn't get that done. But he is an utter incompetent so it's no surprise. Actually, I think that's exactly the problem. He's both biased AND incompetent. It's not one or the other; it's both.

It's the small decisions that can absolutely turn a game and make no mistake, every one of those fouls he failed to award us AND the fouls he awarded them, are calculated. And this is where that whiskey-nosed Ferguson cunt got it completely right. Consistent dreadful refereeing - like that we've had from Taylor and Atkinson - would just not have been tolerated. He'd have made it his priority to make sure there was never a repeat performance. But here we are, as always getting shafted by (at best) dodgy, biased, seemingly innocuous decisions. Until we get on top of that shit, it'll come back to bite us. It has before and it will again.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, StevieMax said:

Rewind to Dec 29th 2010 - Liverpool 0 Wolves 1 on a very cold night at Anfield, probably the most miserable time I have ever spent at a football match (even if it was the final nail in Roy's coffin).  Liverpool were woeful and clueless against a poor Wolves who got off the bottom of the league with that win.

Rewind 24 hours and on a cold afternoon at Anfield we saw an assured Liverpool battle their way to a deserved win whilst not firing on all cylinders. Witness Lallana's tackle on Traore (mentioned in Dave's report) when already on a booking.  Salah battling for every ball upfront despite having the towering Kilman hanging all over him (forget Taylor awarding a foul for that).  Bobby chasing lost causes all over the field. Mane doing his bit for the team by doubling up on Traore for the last 20 minutes.  Gini & Hendo battling for everything in midfield despite all the pushing and pulling going on. 

And the back four just doing their jobs - as usual.  

A team with the heart (and soul) of a champion.

If we had stuck with Roy we wouldn't have lost that final in Kiev that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Watching that little shit give Anfield the beans only to have his goal disallowed makes me extremely happy.

Also knowing that Anthony Taylor must be dying inside after seeing one of his shit decisions against us overturned gives me life.

If this match happened last season it could have either been a 1 - 1 draw like Leicester or a loss like City... And knowing

I'm not a fan of VAR anymore because of how badly it's been implemented but anybody trying to use this match to beat us over the head with it has an agenda so fuck em.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

All the talk on social media and in the media is about the VAR calls and no talk at all about the fact as highlighted in the report that Taylor should not be blowing his whistle for our goal.

If he blows it before ball goes in then it can't be overturned and that is bollocks - a bad call that costs a team a perfectly good goal and that can't be overturned is a very serious problem.

I believe it has already happened to Grealish at Villa this season.

The ref has to just let a situation like that play out and then come to the right decision with the help if needed..surely the refs know this and if they don't it needs sorting so they do, if they do then he needs fucking for it.

Yet there is no talk about it at all. Says a lot about the state of the narrative that surrounds the game - OK beauts on social media who are partisan you expect to ignore this, but the media and the pundits who are in a race to the bottom on who can generate the most interest with their shite opinions should know and should behave better.

• Upvote 3

Yes to strong against Sheffield. The league is the big one, the holy grail, and I won’t be calling us nailed on to be champions until it’s mathematically certain. No disrespect to our players who have been magnificent, but you know it’s a funny old game. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Strong for Sheffield and weak for Everton. Fuck the FA cup. Our league points lead isn't something to take for granted, we have to play almost everybody again and it would be no surprise if city picked up more points in the second half of the season than we do. We need as big a buffer as possible. 

Strong for Sheffield but we never back away from the Blueshite. Winning is a habit and we dont lose it. Lets just acquaint another manager with reality.

• dave u unpinned this topic