You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 5

7 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

If you have a 4K TV, the Series X is the place to go. Although not a huge difference in numbers (3.8GHz on X compared to 3.6GHz on S, 16GB RAM on X, 10GB RAM on S) it's the GPU where the real differences are - the X boasts 52 Compute Units running at 1.823GHz compared to 20 Compute Units running at 1.565GHz.

In other words, 4K HDR on the X is a doddle. On the S, it will struggle badly. If you have an older TV set that's not 4K, you're not going to use the X's grunt.

Isnt that only true of 4k games though, and there is upscaling for most other games regardless if you have an S or an X?

As it goes, I have an Xbox One X already, so I'm already in the 4k gang, eg, the Warzone update today gave me the option of downloading an additional 28GB skin for 4k, but I only play Warzone, I don't play Modern Warfare the game, so I'm not too bothered about such a massive download for what will likely not be a huge improvement.  Actually, I think today's update removed what was already there, to make space for those people wanting to download the new Cold War game. 

Where do you stand on PS5 v XBOXSX?

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Isnt that only true of 4k games though, and there is upscaling for most other games regardless if you have an S or an X?

As it goes, I have an Xbox One X already, so I'm already in the 4k gang, eg, the Warzone update today gave me the option of downloading an additional 28GB skin for 4k, but I only play Warzone, I don't play Modern Warfare the game, so I'm not too bothered about such a massive download for what will likely not be a huge improvement.  Actually, I think today's update removed what was already there, to make space for those people wanting to download the new Cold War game. 

Where do you stand on PS5 v XBOXSX?

Definitely only true of 4K games. The next generation is all about introducing the full 4K experience with ray tracing and super fast loading etc. If sticking to upscaling games is what the consumer wants, there is no point upgrading at all to the next generation. The Series X looks like a merging of the One S and Series X, sort of like a Xbox One Series SEX, like pulling along the previous gen making sure not to lose them.

I've also pre-ordered the PS5 having received my Series X today, but I haven't set it up yet. The PS5 looks like it's going to win in the early battles and I have to admit that new controller looks the absolute business. It also looks like there will be remote play for PS4 on the PS5. Sony are going all out to win and I think they just might. The Game Pass systems though is where Microsoft are hedging their bets and that's what I'm definitely interested in.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Definitely only true of 4K games. The next generation is all about introducing the full 4K experience with ray tracing and super fast loading etc. If sticking to upscaling games is what the consumer wants, there is no point upgrading at all to the next generation. The Series X looks like a merging of the One S and Series X, sort of like a Xbox One Series SEX, like pulling along the previous gen making sure not to lose them.

I've also pre-ordered the PS5 having received my Series X today, but I haven't set it up yet. The PS5 looks like it's going to win in the early battles and I have to admit that new controller looks the absolute business. It also looks like there will be remote play for PS4 on the PS5. Sony are going all out to win and I think they just might. The Game Pass systems though is where Microsoft are hedging their bets and that's what I'm definitely interested in.

You're getting both?

Are you an investment banker? Giz one. 

I think I wouldn't miss a disc tray, I'm not into blu ray films and I don't have a back catalogue of old games I'm desperate to play.  It's usually the first thing to break on a console anyway.

I don't play the latest games, I'm all about Warzone or Fortnite or GTA or FIFA.  That's it, I'm done, it's all there, and to be honest I haven;t played FIFA for a couple years either.  

And I look at the size of the things, and the PS5 is a beast of a size, and the XBOXSEX looks like hifi speaker, whereas the XBOXSES is smaller than my current ONEX.

I would love the PS5 I guess, I didn't bother with a PS3 or PS4 even, have been Xbox for a while now, but it does look funky and the controller is supposed to be haptic.  Again, if I'm a betting man I'm expecting that controller to break pretty quick, there's a lot going on there, it's an instrument not a normal controller, but people will still throw it around. 

ONEX also pushing the improved lag with the wireless controller, can't see how they have stole a march on PS5 on something so obvious. 

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

I'll be waiting until I get one. Never got a console on launch due to the inevitable issues like the ps3, xbox 360 had. 

The Xbox 360 was a massive lesson learned by Microsoft - they wanted to make a profit on their units so to cut costs they made some of the hardware themselves, including the boards and chips. They had no idea how to do this and a lot of their systems were failing through overheating and chips coming loose on the boards. It cost them a fortune to repair them so they never went down that road again, at least not when they didn't have a strong in-house hardware team.

As far as I'm aware there have not been a repeat of these hardware launch problems, most problems tend to be software based and takes a while to get a stable platform.

This is the first generation where I have purchased both systems at launch as I feel the prices of the systems are reasonably placed. As for the games and hardware that's going to be released afterwards, I'm not sure that is going to be reasonably priced. I've already seen an external Xbox 1TB drive is going to sell for above £200. At least PS5 seems to support other SSDs but the list of supported drives hasn't been finalised, which is why at the moment the external drive port is not currently activated until the list of compatible SSDs is released.

Dilemma here and would appreciate some help.

Xbox series X has arrived for my lad today. He’s got no idea I’ve got him it and I’m dying to give him it tonight but my Mrs is having none of it and is saying it’s for Xmas. He’s 17 tho and doesn’t ask for much like.

over to the panel 

56 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Xbox series X has arrived for my lad today. He’s got no idea I’ve got him it and I’m dying to give him it tonight but my Mrs is having none of it and is saying it’s for Xmas. He’s 17 tho and doesn’t ask for much like.

over to the panel 

Give him it now. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Red74 said:

over to the panel 

Give him the power cable now and leave him wondering what it's for until Christmas. Then you still have the option of keeping it for yourself/selling it and giving him a toaster for Christmas.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Give him the power cable now and leave him wondering what it's for until Christmas. Then you still have the option of keeping it for yourself/selling it and giving him a toaster for Christmas.

When I ordered it I got him an extra controller for it, thinking it would be a new design. 2 days later it arrived and it was exactly the same as the current one. 

made up an excuse that he’d been a good lad and gave it straight to him. He had no idea what he’d done right 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Red74 said:

When I ordered it I got him an extra controller for it, thinking it would be a new design. 2 days later it arrived and it was exactly the same as the current one. 

made up an excuse that he’d been a good lad and gave it straight to him. He had no idea what he’d done right 

Haha that's brilliant.

21 hours ago, Red74 said:

Awesome.

My Dad told me if I could do >100 kick ups one summer he’s get me an SNES. By the end of the summer I could do >650, comfortably do 300+ off the cuff, and he still made me wait till Xmas for it. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Been reading the PS5’s sent for reviews have been breaking.

There's also reports of the Xbox disk drive being out of alignment on some units so either the disc doesn't even go into the machine or when it goes in it just whirls. This is a minority though apparently.

1 hour ago, Herp McDerp said:

Need a TV to go with the PS5 and think its going to come down to either the Sony X9000H or the LG CX. The LG costs almost double what the Sony does so am leaning towards that. Any suggestions/recommendations?

LG CX by a mile. No, by a marathon. If you buy a Sony TV instead of an LG TV, you deserve everything that happens to you. 

If there is anything else I can help with, feel free to let me know. 

But LG TV is better. 

15 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

LG CX by a mile. No, by a marathon. If you buy a Sony TV instead of an LG TV, you deserve everything that happens to you. 

If there is anything else I can help with, feel free to let me know. 

But LG TV is better. 

I’ve always read and heard that the Bravia’s are really good.

14 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I’ve always read and heard that the Bravia’s are really good.

Sony Bravias are great TVs for film & TV, easily on a par with the LG. But for gaming the LG wins due to it's ability to transfer the image to the screen from the console. 

On 10/11/2020 at 21:37, Red74 said:

over to the panel 

He's stuck in a lock down. 

Let the poor fucker have it now

• Upvote 3

I’ve just gave him it and he was made up. 

Ive been making him out to the wife as if he was some some shoeless urchin from the streets of Cairo who deserved a bit of good fortune and it wasn’t going down well seeing as though we all live together and then he came home from college today to tell us he’d got a job. 

Mother Hubbard was still saying no and that is was for Xmas but I couldn’t bare the tension when he said he’d bought the new cod with his own dough and that was it.

He then revealed that none of the decent games are out for it till next month which wasnt good to hear like 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

Need a TV to go with the PS5 and think its going to come down to either the Sony X9000H or the LG CX. The LG costs almost double what the Sony does so am leaning towards that. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Had LG’s and was never impressed. Samsung’s round this house and they’re all quality