You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 5

• 1 month later...

Looks likely that the main money makers for the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be the extra storage required. Apparently both consoles will use NVME PCIe Solid State Drives with a specific throughput. Microsoft are specifically working with Seagate to produce this and only these will be compatible with the Xbox. Apparently Sony will be allowing any company to produce theirs so you will have more choice but it MUST match the systems SSD configuration. Microsoft will apparently include around 800Gb internal storage whereas Sony will will 1Tb. Bearing in mind that a Sabrent 1Tb NVME PCIe is currently selling for about £170, I suspect the price of the console will probably take a loss with the profits coming from external storage which almost certainly will be essential.

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/consumer/play/storage-expansion-for-xbox-series-x/

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Game size will be interesting. I have loads of games on my internal and external drives. 

Big. Very big.

I would assume that you can store the games on external drives (perhaps create network access to them?) but when you want to play them they must be accessible to the native SSDs. Paying £170 for a 1Tb memory card and perhaps getting four games on 1 is going to be insanely expensive and will definitely put some people off.

At the moment - based on the things I have learned about both systems - I am leaning towards PS5 but I may only buy the system at launch just to ensure I have it! Depending on prices and launch date, I may try and get the Xbox - again just to ensure it is obtained.

Based on what is happening with the Switch right now, it could prove prudent to get in early - otherwise you could be looking at paying a bounty.

On 24/07/2020 at 10:06, Fluter in Dakota said:

Big. Very big.

I would assume that you can store the games on external drives (perhaps create network access to them?) but when you want to play them they must be accessible to the native SSDs. Paying £170 for a 1Tb memory card and perhaps getting four games on 1 is going to be insanely expensive and will definitely put some people off.

At the moment - based on the things I have learned about both systems - I am leaning towards PS5 but I may only buy the system at launch just to ensure I have it! Depending on prices and launch date, I may try and get the Xbox - again just to ensure it is obtained.

Based on what is happening with the Switch right now, it could prove prudent to get in early - otherwise you could be looking at paying a bounty.

What’s happening with the Switch?

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

What’s happening with the Switch?

The demand for the Switch is so huge that the supply (although plentiful) is nowhere near supplying it. This is partly down to the pandemic making it harder to produce/ship and partly down to more people wanting to buy.

As a result, in the US they are being sold on places like eBay for $500 and in the UK on Amazon they are being sold (when available) for at least £330 with no extras. At a time they were being sold for £280 with a game included. They are being sold for the same on eBay (around £340-£350) as a minimum. If you're thinking of selling, now's the time. It's most definitely a sellers market for Switch and if you try and buy one online/high street, be prepared to pay through the nose. Switch Lite is still being sold at retail price.

This is almost certainly going to happen after initial pre-orders for PS5 and Xbox Series X. Most retailers are strictly planning to sell only one of each system per customer (that's either iteration where each system has two iterations scheduled at launch) however people could buy more than one from various sellers (one from amazon, one from shopto etc.) with a view to then selling higher.

If you want one, the other or even both I would strongly advise to get it at launch. It won't be impossible to get after, but it could be hard and more expensive.

That’s interesting that. Even on a boring subject! Nice one. I’m out of rep.

Kids have already got a Switch. Santa brought it Xmas just gone. I’ve never bought one at launch, I think they’re always ridiculously priced. My boy did it though with the original PS4 and is thinking about it again. He’s nearly got enough saved (frugal little bugger) but he said a few weeks ago that he’s not that arsed and might wait until the price drops. 

You know what kids are like though. As soon as one or two of his mates have one...

• 3 weeks later...

I think my psn account has been hacked. Got an email saying my password has changed, then my user ID had changed then my email. Can't log onto the ps4 or the playstation site. When I request the email reset it says email sent but nothing arrives, I put my missus email in who hasn't got an account and it still said email sent, so thats shite. Spoke to the playstation customer service bot who said hang on for a live advisor then gave me the opening hours are Monday to Saturday 18:30 try then.

Froze any online activity on my bank account so hopefully they can't take any cash.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think my psn account has been hacked. Got an email saying my password has changed, then my user ID had changed then my email. Can't log onto the ps4 or the playstation site. When I request the email reset it says email sent but nothing arrives, I put my missus email in who hasn't got an account and it still said email sent, so thats shite. Spoke to the playstation customer service bot who said hang on for a live advisor then gave me the opening hours are Monday to Saturday 18:30 try then.

Froze any online activity on my bank account so hopefully they can't take any cash.

Shit. Anyone on your friends list able to see if your PSN ID is still active on their list?

Silly question after the fact, but did you have 2FA set up on the account?

8 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Shit. Anyone on your friends list able to see if your PSN ID is still active on their list?

Silly question after the fact, but did you have 2FA set up on the account?

No I don't play online multilayer as far as I'm aware my username isn't even public to see. No idea what 2FA is. If my online banking activity is frozen I should be good till Monday when I can try and sort it with Sony hopefully they can't do too much damage.

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No I don't play online multilayer as far as I'm aware my username isn't even public to see. No idea what 2FA is. If my online banking activity is frozen I should be good till Monday when I can try and sort it with Sony hopefully they can't do too much damage.

If you drop your ID down to me via DM, I can take a look to see if it's there.

2FA is Two Factor Authentication - Helps keep your account more secure. You set up 2FA so that if you want to make changes to your account, as well as entering your account password, Sony/PlayStation send you a One Time Password (OTP) to a registered mobile number that you need to enter to verify that it is you making said change(s).

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I phoned Sony and they sorted it. Bastards must of hacked my email ive been chasing all kinds of shite down changing passwords. Tried to buy something called humblebundle keys too.

Little fuckers. Good that Sony have managed to sort you out on their side.

I take it your bank are tracking recent purchases/purchase attempts?

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No I haven't spoken to the bank just used the freeze feature online to make sure no transactions can be made until I sorted it. 

Worth giving them a shout if you can. They might be able to track down where any transactions are being attempted from.