You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Playstation 5

• 4 weeks later...

There's some more footage here, it was leaked, isn't great quality and the developer said this :

I'm neutral to it to be honest, like I was with the first. Not very interested but don't think it looks shit. Liked the music in this trailer more than anything else.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Paul said:

That has to be the single nerdiest thing I’ve ever watched! It’s is an absolute geek-fest!

That said, that game looks absolutely incredible. What is it?

I think it's more a demo of the development kit than a game. Unreal engine is the kit behind lots of famous games, hence the reason epic games are able to compete with the steam store.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

21:00 BST...

I'm not overly impressed with the idea that PS5 is not going to be backward compatible with PS4. I'm sure Microsoft when they released the Xbox One said the same things regards the 360 and people went nuts about it. Sony have said it and no-one seems bothered about it. Very strange.

23 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I'm not overly impressed with the idea that PS5 is not going to be backward compatible with PS4. I'm sure Microsoft when they released the Xbox One said the same things regards the 360 and people went nuts about it. Sony have said it and no-one seems bothered about it. Very strange.

I thought is was. Seems it sort of is;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-29-new-ps4-games-must-be-playstation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

It's worth emphasising that all of this applies to games submitted to Sony after 13th July, which is not the same as anything released after that date. Submissions are generally made well in advance of release to ensure Sony's certification team can approve the game in time.

For example, Sony's own Ghost of Tshushima is released on 17th July but will have entered certification prior to the 13th July cut-off. It will not specifically need to be PlayStation 5 forwards-compatible. However, as one of PlayStation 4's remaining flagship titles, it is certain to be supported on PlayStation 5 (and indeed, Eurogamer has separately heard this will be the case, alongside fellow upcoming exclusive The Last of Us 2)

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Good on them, the corona virus needs full focus. 

I actually thought they were talking about Brendan Rodgers.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

£600 apparently. 

I would be really surprised if they went to that price for it. Sony will want to sell as many as possible and will definitely NOT want a repeat of what happened with the PS3 and XBOX 360.

I'm expecting £450-£500 to lay down the gauntlet to Microsoft.

57 minutes ago, skend04 said:

The innards of the PS5 apparently cost in the region of £450. So £600 sounds about right.

Exactly. 

People are willing to pay Apple £1500 for a phone. Sony will still sell millions of these, even at £600 a pop. 

45 minutes ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Exactly. 

People are willing to pay Apple £1500 for a phone. Sony will still sell millions of these, even at £600 a pop. 

Yep. It'll fly off the shelves here because there are no pubs to go to, and access to everything else is going to be restricted for a while yet.

3 hours ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Exactly. 

Don't they normally do that over three years on a contract where they get thee benefits of data, talk time and text messaging? People may have to get a loan to pay £600 plus other bits and pieces that may take it closer to £1000.

Also worth considering that most hardware companies sell at a loss to enable them to make profits on the software. If Sony comes in a £600 and Microsoft comes in at £450, the Xbox gets a head start. This also happened with the PS3 - the only way it turned around was when Sony dropped the price of the PS3.

1 minute ago, Paul said:

My understanding of the business model is that they take a loss on the consoles in order to drive game sales. 

The Sony board are allegedly split down the middle on whether to take a loss on this console or whether to make a profit like they apparently did with the PS4. The price marker of £599 has already been described as a mistake by Amazon as Sony can not decide on how to price it. I think personally they will announce a price and be prepared to change it, based on what Microsoft do.

I still guess the system to sell between £450-£500. Consoles have historically struggled to sell above £500. £450 may cover most of the costs of the console, £500 gives them a little extra to cover the extra expense of production.