You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Day Everything Changed

Lee909

Maybe one of the most important dates in our history 22 October 2017. 

A 4-1 loss at Spurs, Lovren hauled off after 30 mins later. 

Couple of months later and the club push through the van Dijk deal. The next summer go big for Alisson and Fabinho. 

Since the Spurs game

Played 97

Won 77

Drew 16

Lost 4

GF 205

GA 58

GD +147

Screenshot_20191227_230956.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

We’ve been great since then, but so has Lovren, generally. He recovered brilliantly from that humiliation. 

Agree that Van Dijk changed everything though. As fantastic as Alisson and Fabinho are, he’s vastly more important to us than either. Already as important an arrival as Keegan, Kenny, Barnes or Gerrard signing as a pro. 

• Upvote 1

No shit...I was getting score updates on that game in the waiting area of the hospital while they prepped my wife for an emergency C-section. Within an hour my twin boys were born at 27.5 weeks! 

This was yesterday. Fair to say they've been good luck charms for Klopp's Red Machine. Cheers boys!

20191227_083615.jpg

• Upvote 46

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We’ve been great since then, but so has Lovren, generally. He recovered brilliantly from that humiliation. 

Agree with that completely but he's been great next to van Dijk. The standard and calmness he has added has been immense. But I think that day forced the clubs hand to do the deal no matter the cost. Had he been any less of a success we might not have seen the fee paid for Alisson either. Id say that day could have changed alot in the long run. To get from being just a team trying to qualify for the Champions League to a team putting up record level points meant we needed to shell out at times and the clubs been fully on board

The most important day was the day we sold Coutinho. Bought Virgil and Alisson with the money, started playing 3 athletic box to box midfielders and shifted the creative responsibility to the full backs. It's the single best piece of business any football club has made this decade.  

• Upvote 1

On 27/12/2019 at 23:44, dockers_strike said:

Nah, the day everything changed was the day Jurgen walked into Anfield. I said shortly after, it would take him 3 summer windows to get the team and squad he wanted. I dont think I was far out with that statement.

spot on 

On 27/12/2019 at 23:30, A_S said:

No shit...I was getting score updates on that game in the waiting area of the hospital while they prepped my wife for an emergency C-section. Within an hour my twin boys were born at 27.5 weeks! 

This was yesterday. Fair to say they've been good luck charms for Klopp's Red Machine. Cheers boys!

20191227_083615.jpg

I bet their Dad had something a bit stronger in his bottle.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Nah...the day everything changed was the day 35,000 of us did this...

CQzpsK5WoAAQKv6?format=png&name=small

Haha. Bet the guy who created that as an important public service is absolutely delighted that its main use is on the last day of August and the last day of January for people trying to track who Jermaine Defoe and Jay Rodriguez might be signing for. 

On 27/12/2019 at 23:30, A_S said:

20191227_083615.jpg

A blue bottle top you sick fuck.

On 27/12/2019 at 23:21, Lee909 said:

Couple of months later and the club push through the van Dijk deal. The next summer go big for Alisson and Fabinho. 

Since the Spurs game

Played 97

Won 77

Drew 16

Lost 4

GF 205

GA 58

GD +147

Trying not to be pedantic but it's been 85 league games since the Spurs debacle.

Since the Spurs game

Played 97

Won 77

Drew 16

Lost 4

GF 205

GA 58

GD +147

Sorry if it looks pedantic but it's been 85 games with:

65 wins

16 draws

4 losses - Swansea, both Mancs and Chelsea. 

Still an unbelievable record. An average season points total of 94.3 points is mind-blowing. 

Not really sure what the relevance of this game is?? That it was one of our last significant defeats .. ok, but this game in isolation did nothing per say. We were after VVD anyway. Agree with the following suggestion that the day Coutinho left was the significant one: that investment allowed everything subsequent to unfold. Coutinho stays at the club and there's not a chance we'd have evolved to where we are now.

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Not really sure what the relevance of this game is?? That it was one of our last significant defeats .. ok, but this game in isolation did nothing per say. We were after VVD anyway. Agree with the following suggestion that the day Coutinho left was the significant one: that investment allowed everything subsequent to unfold. Coutinho stays at the club and there's not a chance we'd have evolved to where we are now.

In that it was the game that imo meant the club had to go and sped to get the man they needed no matter the cost. It became obvious we couldn't progress just going the value route. 2 months after and they just get the vvd deal done at great cost. His success them meant the club were willing to go get Alison and not a Jack Butland

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2019 at 23:28, El Rojo said:

Agree that Van Dijk changed everything though. As fantastic as Alisson and Fabinho are, he’s vastly more important to us than either. Already as important an arrival as Keegan, Kenny, Barnes or Gerrard signing as a pro. 

I think Alisson is as important as Van Dijk and I think Lovren has not been 'great'. He's just been less shit than he was on that horrific day. Still fourth choice for me, because he's just not reliable. 

• Upvote 1

Since the Spurs game

Played 97

Won 77

Drew 16

Lost 4

GF 205

GA 58

GD +147

Who are the four losses against?