You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester City 0 Liverpool 4 (Dec 26 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Wow. How impressive was that? Leicester are our nearest challengers and we just went into their back yard and stole their dinner money. It was an absolute mauling and 4-0 flattered them. First versus second shouldn't look like this, but with the Reds in this mood Leicester had no chance. 

This should have been our toughest game of the season but the lads made it look easy. We just went to the second placed team and didn’t let them have a shot on target. The most dangerous striker in the league didn’t get a kick and we put four past a team who had only conceded five at home all season. The best word to describe the performance is 'imperious'.

We were right on them from the opening whistle and never let up at any stage. Incredibly, we could have scored twice inside the opening 60 seconds. First Trent brought a save out of Schmeichel with a rasper from 25 yards. Seconds later Salah had the ball on the right and picked out Mané with a brilliant ball. It seemed a certain goal but Sadio got it all wrong and missed by miles.

Still, what a start. And it carried on. We created loads of chances and Leicester couldn’t get out of their own half due to the way we completely smothered them. We’re fucking horrible to play against when we’re in this mood.

Leicester are taking a lot of stick for how they played but in this mood we’d smash anyone. We’re the best team in the world and anyone having a go at Leicester should look at the league table. They’re pushing us harder than anyone else.

The only thing standing between Leicester and the kind of beating they themselves dished out to Southampton earlier in the season was our wastefulness.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

The best word to describe the performance is 'imperious'.

Absolutely. Wasn't expecting anything like this result before the game. But within, what, five minutes? We had their defence harried and two half-chances missed. If it wasn't for the (admittedly) excellent Soyuncu we'd have had plenty more chances. I'd hoped for a close win but we eviscerated them tonight. Was saying to a mate, how much would you hate to face us right now? We win, and we win well without the shithousery or gamesmanship we've seen other teams employ to gain an advantage. We just play brilliant, brilliant footy. 

What a time to be a Red.   

ETA: Top work getting this review out so soon Skip!

Jaysus, what a quick report turn around. Cheers very much for that.  Been buzzing since the game ended and now we have match report too. Great stuff.  

Barring our wastefulness in front of goal,  I thought this was a dominant performance.  It looked like we got into their heads even before kick off. Second best team? Go Fuck yourself Brendan. Watford looked better. At least they had a go. We didn't even let these fuckers breathe. Just kept turning the screws. Was an awesome sight to see. They just  couldn't cope with our pressure. The physical and mental.  Commentators were banging on about their players being tired.  Our Mentality Monsters... not one bit.  Bring on Sunday. 

Bravo on getting it right do quickly.

Magnificent team, up there with any I have seen in the last 45 years of going. And this on a night when two of our front three weren't at their best by any means. Trent was excellent defensively as well as being unreal going forward, great covering play at one point.

Henderson was everywhere and some more great through balls, he's in prime form. Bobby was Bobby, different class. Great to see Gomez back to his best too. But just a superb performance all round.

I said a few weeks ago I don’t think any opposition fans will have left a game with us necessarily thinking they had seen the Champions; then came Bournemouth where that changed and then yesterday. The world watched the Champions elect last night and, whilst I won’t believe it just yet, if Citeh, Chelsea or Utd were in our position we would have written it off already.

My lad has seen us win everything save the league; hopefully, we can put that right this season.

• Upvote 1

Room for improvement still Dave. All last night I was pressing refresh refresh refresh, but nothing. Oh well, the next day isn't as bad as we've seen lately, so a tiny bit of credit where it's due. 

Comments:

• I expected a little more gushing with regard to Trent's goal and celebration. You were like "A word on the Firminho finish" as if we'll just have a quick bit about that before getting on to Trent. Of course, Bobby's goal was sensational, but our Trent doing that. Like that. Fucking go ed Trent lad. 
  • I really liked the way we'd probe forward and then be quite happy to play it back to Virge/Joe and even Alisson, then start again. Time and again. "This is our ball and we're playing with it". I'm sure it was about conserving energy and it was great. Certainly it had Vardy chasing nothing. 
  • Please please please DON'T CHEER PASSES. Towards the end of the game, our supporters were doing it. I really hate it; it's cheap and small-time. 
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Watching this game I was reminded of that game against Forest all those years ago. I think it was after Ray Houghton missed another glorious chance when John Motson said “with better finishing Liverpool could have had six!”. We saw similar patterns of movement and breathtaking goals although I thought Leicester were not allowed the same time and space Forest had. It’s no exaggeration to say we could have been 4 or 5 up by half time. What a great time to be a red!

36 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Room for improvement still Dave. All last night I was pressing refresh refresh refresh, but nothing. Oh well, the next day isn't as bad as we've seen lately, so a tiny bit of credit where it's due. 

Comments:

• I expected a little more gushing with regard to Trent's goal and celebration. You were like "A word on the Firminho finish" as if we'll just have a quick bit about that before getting on to Trent. Of course, Bobby's goal was sensational, but our Trent doing that. Like that. Fucking go ed Trent lad. 
  • I really liked the way we'd probe forward and then be quite happy to play it back to Virge/Joe and even Alisson, then start again. Time and again. "This is our ball and we're playing with it". I'm sure it was about conserving energy and it was great. Certainly it had Vardy chasing nothing. 
  • Please please please DON'T CHEER PASSES. Towards the end of the game, our supporters were doing it. I really hate it; it's cheap and small-time. 

Im not sure there is much Dave can do about the last one.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic