You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Flamengo 0 (Dec 21 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Considering this “isn’t a big deal” it sure felt like kind of a big deal. In fact, as the game wore on it began to feel like the most important game in the history of the club, so desperate was I to win it.

Of course I knew it wasn’t but it’s easy to get caught up in the moment like that when the opposition are carrying on like Flamengo were and when the referee was as bad as this fella was.

We’d been there before of course. This competition doesn’t have happy memories for us. I can’t speak too much for what happened in the 80s when we lost to Flamengo and Independente, but the loss to Sao Paolo in 2005 still stings because of the controversial manner of it. We missed loads of chances, had THREE goals disallowed, they were massive shithouses and the referee that night was almost certainly bent. 

History seemed to be repeating itself. With every missed chance, every bit of Brazilian playacting and every inexplicable decision from the ref, my desperation to see us win the game grew. I really wanted this trophy anyway, but I know not everyone was as enthusiastic about it as I was. Surely though, even those who were largely indifferent to it would have been gutted if we hadn’t won?

I wrote after the semi final that this was likely to be a similar type of close game against horrible opposition. As usual though, by the time kick off arrived I’d convinced myself we’d hammer them because their high line wouldn’t be able to deal with our front three. The way the game started suggested I was right, but after some early scares they adjusted accordingly.  

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

My stand point was that nothing, and I mean nothing, must stand in the way of winning the league this season. Even despite winning the CL last season, missing the league by 1 point was heartbraking to me. We've the 'distinction' of being the only club to have topped the League 3 times at Christmas but not won the league.

Im sounding like a broken record but I couldnt care less about the domestic cups until we land 19. Of course I never want us to lose or throw a game. The young lads who've played in the EFL Cup had my total support. They wore the shirt, they are Liverpool.

I was ok from the off with Jurgen using the 'elite' squad for this World Club Cup. But even then, I didnt want this to be a distraction or interference with the league.

But again, once the competition started, I wanted us to win. Im made up we won. We are World Champions. I want to club to wear the badge. I think we should ask the PL and FA to wear it. If they refuse, we should wear it anyway. Im serious. Take the fine and fuck 'em.

As for the game, when both Bobby and Naby missed those early chances, my mind started to think maybe the football gods were not going to smile on us. Flamengo showed some very nice touches on the ball that at times, made it look like we were chasing shadows.

They were getting corner after corner. Then Hendo got hauled down in the box and the ref gave them the free kick! Trent bombed in a shot that was inches wide. Bobby hit the post when it seemed he couldnt miss. Hendo strikes a ball destined for the top bin and the keeper claws it out. Alisson finger tipped a ball away from a Flamengo player's toe. I was getting real nervy.

In the final minute of normal time, we had the penalty farce. OK, contact was outside the box, just but to not even get a free kick? Incredible.

Finally, in extra time, Hendo picked out Sadio. A quick turn and lay off for Bobby. Surely he's not going to miss this time? No he did not and it's display your tats time!

Was it worth it? You can bet your bottom dollar all these oppo fans saying we should have played a stronger team in the EFL Cup and this is as good as the Community Shield, would be saying the opposite if we'd have lost.

As for the league, the city result went as I expected with Leicester losing. Our game in hand might not be as easy in reality as it looks on paper. We seem to struggle against west ham and they might even have a new manager by the time we play them.

Make me dream boys, make me dream!

• Upvote 3

I really wanted to win this as a few Manc mates had been crowing to me over the years that they had won it and we hadn't, and considering our dominance in Europe compared to that lot it always grated on me that we'd never won it.  I was almost as nervous as I was before beating Spurs in the CL final and I was made up that we won. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

My stand point was that nothing, and I mean nothing, must stand in the way of winning the league this season. Even despite winning the CL last season, missing the league by 1 point was heartbraking to me. We've the 'distinction' of being the only club to have topped the League 3 times at Christmas but not won the league.

Im sounding like a broken record but I couldnt care less about the domestic cups until we land 19. Of course I never want us to lose or throw a game. The young lads who've played in the EFL Cup had my total support. They wore the shirt, they are Liverpool.

I was ok from the off with Jurgen using the 'elite' squad for this World Club Cup. But even then, I didnt want this to be a distraction or interference with the league.

But again, once the competition started, I wanted us to win. Im made up we won. We are World Champions. I want to club to wear the badge. I think we should ask the PL and FA to wear it. If they refuse, we should wear it anyway. Im serious. Take the fine and fuck 'em.

As for the game, when both Bobby and Naby missed those early chances, my mind started to think maybe the football gods were not going to smile on us. Flamengo showed some very nice touches on the ball that at times, made it look like we were chasing shadows.

They were getting corner after corner. Then Hendo got hauled down in the box and the ref gave them the free kick! Trent bombed in a shot that was inches wide. Bobby hit the post when it seemed he couldnt miss. Hendo strikes a ball destined for the top bin and the keeper claws it out. Alisson finger tipped a ball away from a Flamengo player's toe. I was getting real nervy.

In the final minute of normal time, we had the penalty farce. OK, contact was outside the box, just but to not even get a free kick? Incredible.

Finally, in extra time, Hendo picked out Sadio. A quick turn and lay off for Bobby. Surely he's not going to miss this time? No he did not and it's display your tats time!

Was it worth it? You can bet your bottom dollar all these oppo fans saying we should have played a stronger team in the EFL Cup and this is as good as the Community Shield, would be saying the opposite if we'd have lost.

As for the league, the city result went as I expected with Leicester losing. Our game in hand might not be as easy in reality as it looks on paper. We seem to struggle against west ham and they might even have a new manager by the time we play them.

Make me dream boys, make me dream!

You stole my post, but that’s fine because yours is better thought and written anyway

I did not care about this competition but I really wanted them to loose. 

Hope the medical team devised the whole trip as a nice summer camp like Rafa did in Portugal before outplaying Barca in his own yard ...so that we are back in terrific shape to beat the foxes.

• Upvote 1

It's a trophy I've always wanted the club to win so I'm over the fucking moon.  First British club to do the continental treble, and did it the hard way (as fucking usual) against typical South American shithousery too.

Guardiola has done great things with City, but when you put the whole package into perspective what Klopp has done with this club just completely eclipses what the oil barons have achieved.  It's unprecedented and I'm wondering if anyone other than us can actually equal it.

And I'm now quietly confident the best is yet to come

That Robertson retribution though, a thing of nasty beauty.  Rafinha got Robbo'd.

• Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, dave u said:

Totally agree about wearing the badge on the kit for league games and if they fine us then so be it. I've made the same point in the next diary. 

Absolute farce that we aren't 'allowed' to wear it in the Premier League.

It's probably some breach of some sponsorship agreement with some fucker. 

3 hours ago, scudger99 said:

Guardiola has done great things with City, but when you put the whole package into perspective what Klopp has done with this club just completely eclipses what the oil barons have achieved.  It's unprecedented and I'm wondering if anyone other than us can actually equal it.

Oh, I don't think there can be any debate that what Klopp has does far outweighs Guardiola's achievements there. One had access to overwhelming national wealth & the capacity to hoover up demonstrably elite European players - the other has overhauled the backroom set-up & patiently moved playing-pieces around (the majority of whom have had unheralded careers to date & came to us from anonoymous mid-table clubs), spending only what the club has commercially yielded itself. It may well change this season, but to date Guardiola's City have been embarassed in Europe and -- in the context of the past 18 months -- yielded less points than us domestically. We need to get over the line this year, but if we do, there can be absolutely no comparison in my mind.

The club has become an enormous, finely tuned machine. Out there with the team we had a host of nutrionists, physios, psychologists .. many of whom had 10-15 year European Cup winning careers with Bayern. There's just pedigree at every level of the club right now & we're spectacular as a result. What a time to be a fan.

Guest Pistonbroke
21 hours ago, tlw content said:

Considering this “isn’t a big deal” it sure felt like kind of a big deal. In fact, as the game wore on it began to feel like the most important game in the history of the club, so desperate was I to win it.

This is what got me. Before the game I was looking forward to the final and obviously wanted us to win, yet I was just getting about my business as usual. Once the team news was released I was feeling confident about things but hardly took in any of the build up. Once the game kicked off I was fully in nervous as fuck mode and desperate for the lads to win it. 

What struck me during the game was how knackered these lot were looking around the 60 minute mark. The commentator mentioned a bit later that their season had been 84 games long or something like that. I was worried they'd pinch a goal near the end as I was confident we'd do them in extra time. 

• dave u unpinned this topic