You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester (A) Boxing Day - Premier League - 20:00

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, skaro said:

We've not won the League, but we will have to break records not to win it.

I'm going to try to enjoy this from now on.

That performance tonight was Notts Forest 1987/88ish.

Was thinking the excact same thing, reminded me about the 5-0 win over Forest. I always thought there was a chance we’d win the league again in my lifetime, but I never ever thought I’d experience anything again like the 87/88 season or that match against Forest. Tonight I actually did.

• Like 1

Nice write up this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/dec/26/liverpool-right-back-playmaker-trent-alexander-arnold-leicester?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Alexander-Arnold the unexpected playmaker in Liverpool’s red machine

Barney Ronay

The Liverpool right-back scored one and made a couple more on a night when the runaway leaders made short work of Leicester, their nearest though increasingly distant challengers

Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold (centre) celebrates with Jordan Henderson and Andrew Robertson after scoring the final goal in the 4-0 win at Leicester.

Joyful and, indeed, triumphant. The King Power Stadium was a boisterous place with Liverpool’s world champions in town. New-build stadiums can often be deathly places. Not this one, with its operatic pre-match fanfare, its sense of high-end underdog glamour and with a Leicester team unbeaten at home in the league this season.

At which point, enter the red machine and, in particular, another extraordinary, incisive and deeply unusual performance from Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Every week the Premier League team-sheets seem to make the same category-mistake with Liverpool’s defence. Liverpool’s No 66 plays (it says here) at right-back. In reality Alexander-Arnold is something else, a 21-year-old footballer whose talent has redefined his role, creating in the process something new and excitingly disruptive.

Alexander-Arnold made two goals, scored Liverpool’s last one in a 4-0 win and looked irresistible at times. He is an extraordinary player in so many ways, a full-back who operates at a constant level of creative urgency.

Some will point to the occasional holes in the defensive part of his game, flaws that were apparent here at times early in the match. But this is to miss the point to a world-class degree.

There is a basic sense of optimism about Liverpool’s running game, a feeling the team can shift like a single mass to cover its weaknesses with strengths. Liverpool do not have a goalscoring centre-forward (he scored twice here). Liverpool did not have their best defensive midfielder (they did not need him). And, of course, Liverpool don’t have a world-class playmaker. Except they do and he’s currently bombing forward from right-back.

It helps when you play in a team like this. At times Leicester seemed almost craven in the face of Liverpool’s passing, movement and – yes – that alpha dog energy this team carries with it now.

Trent Alexander-Arnold drills a shot beyond Kasper Schmeichel for Liverpool’s fourth goal. Trent Alexander-Arnold drills a shot beyond Kasper Schmeichel for Liverpool’s fourth goal. Photograph: Michael Regan/Getty Images

“We’re champions of the world,” the away section sang throughout the night. Not that a Fifa junket was needed to settle that question. From the Persian Gulf to the East Midlands this is a team operating at a thrillingly high pitch, the kind of run where every game feels like a rollover from the last, and where the plan remains always the same. Don’t stop. Don’t look back. Carry on being a bit more like themselves every time.

There was something stately about Liverpool’s dominance in that first half. Even the half-scuffed clearances fell to a red shirt. Even Alexander-Arnold’s shaky delivery on the first few set pieces felt like a high-grade machine settling into its rhythms And in a game that always felt like a kind of homecoming, it was fitting that Liverpool’s locally sourced right-back should create the breakthrough with half an hour gone.

The goal came from a cross from the left hit with a furious dipping power. Alexander-Arnold is sui generis in this too. Nobody else kicks the ball in quite the same way, with the same inventive precision, the same flat skimming trajectory. His crosses are like shots. His shots are like passes. His corners are like free-kicks.

The cross landed on the head of Roberto Firmino, who nodded it down into the corner. Liverpool had scored with their sixth effort on goal, to Leicester’s zero. The second half brought more of the same. Alexander-Arnold’s corner drew a handball from Caglar Soyuncu. James Milner tucked away the penalty. Shortly afterwards Firmino made it 3-0 from another hard, flat cross from the right.

That assist made it eight for Alexander-Arnold so far in the Premier League. Only Kevin De Bruyne has more. Look further back and Alexander-Arnold has 20 assists in the league since the start of last season, out on his own ahead of everyone. No doubt English football has produced deep right-sided creative players who can match Alexander-Arnold’s extraordinary productivity in the modern age. But none spring to mind right now.

Leicester were not helped by their own cautious start. In the first half Jamie Vardy was often the lone forward point of a distended 4‑5‑1 formation. The plan was obvious: sit deep, let Liverpool pass, break with precision.

The only problem was, it never showed any sign of working. Liverpool know teams will play like this. They counter-press so aggressively the chances to break are hugely reduced. Before you know it 40 minutes have passed without a shot on goal and the game is being played at an exhausting level of intensity around your own goal.

Liverpool absorbed some pressure as the game wore on but always looked like scoring more. Alexander-Arnold’s goal arrived on 78 minutes, a low hard drive into the far corner, and the gloss on a performance of real drive and verve. Liverpool ended the day 13 points clear at the top of the Premier League, still a little jet-lagged from their desert break, still cranking the throttle. So much for the world. Next stop, England.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Was thinking the excact same thing, reminded me about the 5-0 win over Forest. I always thought there was a chance we’d win the league again in my lifetime, but I never ever thought I’d experience anything again like the 87/88 season or that match against Forest. Tonight I actually did.

This match is even more impressive when you look at it in context - coming towards the end of a month of ridiculous fixture congestion which could have derailed our season.

8 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Alisson - 6 (didn’t have a save to make)

Trent - 10

Gomez - 7

Van Dijk - 8

Robertson - 7

Hendo - 9

Gini - 8

Keita - 8

Salah - 7

Mane - 7

Firmino - 8

Subs:

Origi - 6

Milner - 7

Lallana - 6

One of the most impressive team performances I’ve seen from this side, and match ratings you’d expect from a tough, ground out, 2-1 win against Burnley.

christ lad, fair enough giving Trent 10 on his own, he was outstanding, but each of the midfield 3 deserve a 9, as does Bobby.

and when we restrict the second placed team to 3 total shots and none on target at their own gaff, I’m going to suggest the defence all start at a minimum of an 8 as a benchmark.

Shouldn't be a 7 on the page after Allisson, and even he might get 8 for being so bloody handsome.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

One of the most impressive team performances I’ve seen from this side, and match ratings you’d expect from a tough, ground out, 2-1 win against Burnley.

christ lad, fair enough giving Trent 10 on his own, he was outstanding, but each of the midfield 3 deserve a 9, as does Bobby.

and when we restrict the second placed team to 3 total shots and none on target at their own gaff, I’m going to suggest the defence all start at a minimum of an 8 as a benchmark.

Shouldn't be a 7 on the page after Allisson, and even he might get 8 for being so bloody handsome.

I was more generous than Dave’s colleague at ESPN!!

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool-engliverpool/story/4021503/alexander-arnold-10-10-as-liverpool-thrash-second-place-leicester-on-boxing-day

Lost for words about this side. That was one of the best Liverpool performances of all time. 30 years lads we’ve been waiting for this, savour every second of this, it can’t get any better than this team right now. Jurgen Klopp you are absolutely everything my man, I’m unbelievably proud of this club.

• Upvote 3

Alisson - 0 - Didn’t have to do anything. 

Trent - 4 - Vacated his RB position to do fancy stuff up the pitch.

Gomez - 2 - Barely noticed him

Van Dijk - 3 - Too comfortable on the ball

Robertson - 2 - Scottish

Hendo - 4 - Solid but no Ndidi 

Gini - 4 - Tried too hard

Keita - 4 - Didn’t try hard enough

Salah - 4 - No, seriously. 

Mane - 2 - Missed all the chances. 

Firmino - 4 - Didn’t miss enough chances. 

Subs:

Origi - -1 - Shit first half

Milner - 8 - Milner. 

Lallana - 0 - No comment. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Lost for words about this side. That was one of the best Liverpool performances of all time. 30 years lads we’ve been waiting for this, savour every second of this, it can’t get any better than this team right now. Jurgen Klopp you are absolutely everything my man, I’m unbelievably proud of this club.

That’s pretty much it mate, I was watching that game yesterday and parts of it felt like an outer body experience. I’ve never seen a better Liverpool side than our current one. As a team, it’s unreal. We’ve lost, what, one in 60. Away. Against City. It’s outrageous.