You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Monterrey 1 (Dec 18 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

That was hard work. Not what I was expecting and certainly not what I hoped for. In an ideal world we’d have been able to play the second string in this game, get the job done with no drama and have everyone fresh for the final on Saturday. Good job we didn't rest everyone.

Klopp clearly didn’t see it the way some of us did and he picked a strong team. Not his strongest, but some changes were enforced (no Virg or Gini) and some were just prudent due to the number of games we’ve had and are due to have (Sadio, Bobby and Trent). The selection of Alisson in goal shows you how seriously Jurgen took this game. It would have been easy to just give Adrian a run out, but thankfully he didn’t because Alisson was the main reason we didn’t suffer an embarrassing loss.

Defeat in this game would have been virtually unthinkable considering what we’ve given up to be out there. Sending the kids to play Villa was the right decision (the only decision really), but if we’d fallen at the first hurdle in Qatar that would have rendered the whole trip meaningless. It’s not even like we’d have been able to come home and have some time off either; there’s a third / fourth place playoff game that would need to be played.

This game was in the balance right up until the end and Monterrey carried a goal threat all night. I was surprised at how dangerous they were, especially as they’re 8th in their domestic league and have lost seven out of 18 games this season. By rights they shouldn’t have even been on the same pitch as us, yet they gave us all sorts of problems.

We didn’t play well but we weren’t awful either. There were several moves of genuine quality and the two goals we scored were brilliant. They defended really well though, while their shoot on sight policy at the other end meant we could never relax. They raised their game massively due to the opposition and the prestige this competition has outside of Europe.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I never expected anything less than a battle.  It's a real feather in the South Americans caps to beat the European Champions and win the cup so they were always going to raise their game and have a right go.  We had no VVD, and didn't have Bobby or Sadio until late on so I think that's a fucking good result.  Nice to see Keita linking up with Mo sweetly too, there's more to come from that combo.

Just another match in 2019, raise our game high enough to break the opposition hearts very late on.

It's what we do.  Hopefully we do it again on Saturday.

Current European and World Champions has a fucking nice ring to it, as does current runaway Premiership leaders.

• Upvote 4

Down to the bare bones tonight so it was never going to be a case of pina coladas really. Only 7 on the bench tonight. The 3 that came on, 2 kids and 2 goalies. Missing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th and 6th choice centre backs - Wijnaldum and Fabinho - so with Milner and Hendo in backline it was 5th, 6th and 7th choice midfield out there. The same midfield that struggled against MK Dons. All are good players and definitely in better form than they were in September but they aren't a good blend as a 3 really are they?
I thought it was a good performance considering and am a bit disappointed with the reports online.
One other thing, I nodded my head when you said twins were fascinating. I thought it was going to go deep into the psychology of sharing so much with someone and the mental effect that must have but I should have known you would use a hair analogy.

• Upvote 2

Regarding your question about twins having the same haircut, I have an identical twin sister and we have the same style.  I have tried different styles over the years, but we always seem to go back to the same haircut. This can come in handy if you are having a sickie and happen to be spotted out and about.  You just claim it must have been your twin and you were home all day!  It isn't a deliberate decision to look the same, it just happens that way.  We bought each other the same present for Christmas 3 years in a row! However, we are not telepathic, we just think the same.

• Upvote 5

My older sister has twin lads (early 30s now).  Not identical, you would struggle to know they were brothers and temperament wise they are chalk and cheese.  They're not even that fond of each other, although they do seem to forming more of a bond as they get older.

It's a strange affair really.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
8 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I'm not looking forward to Saturday at all. I thought we'd swan over, have a few Pina coladas and hang round the hotel pool and send out the b team to play. Looks like Saturday is going to be a real battle. 

Our lads seem to play better under those circumstances. There's also the little carrot of being the first English team to win the trophy. 

9 hours ago, dave u said:

Rushed this one out because tomorrow is round up day and that takes all day to do, especially with some midweek cup games to include.

I wish I could just rush something like this out. 

With regards to the game being an inconvenience I’m not having that. We’ve only had 1 game, against West Ham, the bums, postponed, we’re sat on top of the league quite comfortably and when that game does get played we’ll already have the league sewn up. 

My hands are firmly in Tom’s bucket. That’s not a euphemism. 

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Everyone saying not looking forward to the final on Saturday??? What's not to look forward to it's the chance to be world champions..

Oh and it could have been worse it could have been Spurs in it

I'll reword it - i'm looking forward to watching Liverpool play in the final, just not looking forward to the stress and increased high blood pressure it will bring for a couple of hours. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

And you just knew that funes mori would score, it was inevitable. 

Haven't Flamengo got a player called Everton? You just know he'll score as well. 

It's the only way Everton will score against us this season. (Although they have scored against us already).

So it's the only way Everton will score against us again this season.

• dave u unpinned this topic