You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flamengo (N) World Club Cup Final - 21/12/19 - 17:30

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Just read that Richard Keys, on whatever channel he’s on nowadays, has been positively gushing in his praise of the ref’s performance.

Works for Bein. Middle Eastern channel. Middle Eastern ref. Middle Eastern hosts. Just protecting his job.

If only we had better composure in front of goal!

Flamengo had a number of spells where they dominated possession but they never really looked like troubling us. We on the other hand got in behind them on numerous occasions only for the finishing to let us down. Bobby got the all-important goal but he missed 2 far easier chances, one at the beginning of each half. Keith ballooned another presentable opportunity over the bar. We were doing well for the most part but the final ball or shot was letting us down. Trent drilled a terrific effort just wide from distance, but it was composure from closer in that we needed to turn the screw.

Hopefully Ox isn't too badly hurt after turning his ankle. When I saw him banging the ground in frustration and in obvious agony, I feared he'd done his knee again. It would have been unbelievably cruel if he had. We'll find out the prognosis over the next couple of days but I reckon he's out for the whole of the Christmas period at least.

You can't talk about this game without mentioning the appalling referee and the shithouse antics of the Flamengo players, particularly Rafinha. That scrum cap wearing bellend seemed to be at the heart of everything that involved duping the referee, and the cunt with the whistle was totally out of his depth. The missed a blatant foul on Hendo in the box. He missed a blatant bodycheck on Keith on the edge of the area. He booked Sadio for shoving Rafinha aside when the Brazilian was the one holding him back as we tried to break. Then the piece de resistance. VAR told the ref to review the incident right on 90 minutes when Sadio was clipped from behind just as he went to shoot, shanking the ball wide. Replays showed contact to be just outside the box, so a free kick and not a penalty. When does the knobhead ref do? Decides to give and drop ball to Flamengo as he's now deemed it to not even be a foul! And people have the temerity to call us 'LiVARpool'!

Once again, we looked physically stronger as the game wore on. Flamengo players were dropping with cramp or faking injury to get themselves a breather. It was most obvious in extra time when they really struggled to cope with us stepping up another gear. I loved the game management the players applied in that extra period. Yes Flamengo spurned a late chance but they couldn't lay a glove on us otherwise.

For me, the star man was Hendo. He was strong in the tackle, constantly at his teammates to step it up, looked for the positive and progressive passing option pretty much every time, and even his one shot at goal was a controlled effort that drew a fine save from the keeper. Normally he hits those tentatively and get right under the ball, ballooning it well off target.

Also a special mention to Robbo at the end, going over to tell Rafinha to shut his piehole and fuck the fuck off.

Another trophy in the bag, and just like the players, I want more. Keep 'em coming lads.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hendo played great, Trent, Bobby and Naby all played great, but MOTM for me was Joey Gomez. Best he's ever played for us Id say, fantastic performance.

He was fantastic tonight, won everything in the air. Getting back to his best.