You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flamengo (N) World Club Cup Final - 21/12/19 - 17:30

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

An interesting stat from last nights opponents Flamengo was the amount of games they had played this season in their league and the various cups. 84! That's some fucking season. I said in the thread as the game was going into extra time that they looked fucked and we'd have them, fitness really did play a part. They were knackered from the 65th minute on. 

31 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is what Klopp said about it. Klopp is often right, and even so, he's almost never been more right on a subject than on this one. 

“We are playing against a side from a country and continent where this competition means everything to everyone and, in England, we have to explain why we come here. That’s how Europe looks at the world, that we are the centre of attention.

“Flamengo got sent here from their country with a clear order: win it and come back as heroes. We got told: stay at home and play the Carabao Cup."

I was at both games this week & the Brazilians took this hugely seriously. I think they had far more fans flying in than we did, replete with a song book all about besting the English — and that is on longer flights, none of which flew direct from Rio. So this was very much their Kiev or Madrid. It was also their best historic team - and actually they had a lot of useful players who wouldn't be out of place in the CL still. England is too inward-looking; this was a very significant game to play. Surprised Henry wasn't there too: thought this trophy would have been right up the Americans' street.

I was delighted we won it. What a likeable team we have these days, as well as a talented one. It felt a bit flat afterwards thanks firstly to the BBC cutting off the post-match celebrations and then via the red button the ridiculously convoluted awards ceremony (I've seen end of series Ashes ceremonies finish quicker than that nonsense did!). But to hell with that, it was a great win.

The League Cup is dead and buried as far as I'm concerned - winning it as part of the treble was great because it was still a serious first XI competition in those days, but now, for me at least, it's a waste of time and effort.

And whatever the UK media claim, internationally that's done us no harm at all. I bet our scouts in South America, in particular, are delighted. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

What competitions do we play in with our new star on the chest? Just europe or PL too? 

Pl won't allow it from what I've heard. 

Waited a long time for this as we declined to enter in 77&78.

Spent hours making a World Champions flag in 81, think the game was 3.00 am kick off and if memory correct was only on radio?

Bob Paisley wasn’t interested, just wanted to play the game, no agro, get home in one piece.

So yea, fuck the rest.

World Club Champions sits well with me.

7 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I personally think that any of the teams who are playing in the CL or EL should have the choice of not participating in the league Cup. That way nobody can have a good whinge about them playing weakened teams and not taking it seriously. Let's be honest, if given that choice the majority would pull out of the competition. 

Why not make it a tournament for clubs who're not playing CL or EL football, period! Price is a place in next year's EL.

The matches could be played on the same dates as the European fixtures. Would solve a lot of problems.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JustTosh said:

Why not make it a tournament for clubs who're not playing CL or EL football, period! Price is a place in next year's EL.

The matches could be played on the same dates as the European fixtures. Would solve a lot of problems.

It's the EFL Cup. It should be for EFL members not PL clubs whether they are in UEFA competition or not. In my very humble opinion.

If I was chairman of an EFL club, Id be pretty pissed off none of the EFL clubs have much chance of getting to the semis never mind the final. And even if an EFL club did win it, the FA would likely not submit them for a Europa League place.

Im pretty sure since 2010 when Villa a Championship club got to the final, the FA said they wouldnt submit them for a European place if they or subsequent Championship clubs won it.

9 hours ago, DimReaper said:

It was pretty apathetic towards it until we started playing the matches then the reality kicks in and we need to be winning it. 

It would have been a real kick in the balls to go out there, sacrifice the League Cup, put the players through the travel and mental and physical exertions and then come back without the trophy. 

Also glad we won so we don't have pages and pages of crazy conspiracy shite that was bubbling up at one point. 

I see Salah got an award for player of the tournament. Bit odd. 

Arab player in an Arab country?

28 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

I think there is some Uefa rule that states that top flight games can’t be on the same dates. Uefa want their competition to be the only game in town. 
I don’t know if it only applies to league games, but I doubt they’ll allow any high profile cup games? 

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Villa weren't Championship in 2010 mate, they didn't go down until 2016. The last non-prem team was Bradford in 2013 I think!

Yes, could be. Maybe they said it about Bradford or even Cardiff when we played them. I did think Villa had been relegated before then so thanks for pointing that out.

If there's any trophy parade at the next home game I'd like to see the young lads that Jurgen "hung out to dry" get to parade the CWC trophy. A big thank-you to them because they helped to contribute to that success. 

Also a big fuck off to pundits who really wanted us spread thin and losing two tournaments.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
13 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Yeah, that is also something which would work and a good idea. 

Guest Pistonbroke
14 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Always a pleasure.

Nice one, Shep. Surprised that they shared your views though. I once said something similar about something and was threatened with legal action, probably not a great idea to call them all Nonces like. 

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, could be. Maybe they said it about Bradford or even Cardiff when we played them. I did think Villa had been relegated before then so thanks for pointing that out.

I think that's when they started their downward spiral to be honest. Mad to think there's been nobody outside the Prem for that long!