You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flamengo (N) World Club Cup Final - 21/12/19 - 17:30

Bjornebye

Does Naby start? Building a nice little head of steam at a crucial stage of the season. 

Also, it's a bit annoying the City v Leicester game is on at the exact same time as this. Hopefully the commentators shut the fuck up about the league game so people can watch it on delay. It makes for a cracking double-header leading into Christmas!

1 minute ago, A_S said:

Does Naby start? Building a nice little head of steam at a crucial stage of the season. 

Also, it's a bit annoying the City v Leicester game is on at the exact same time as this. Hopefully the commentators shut the fuck up about the league game so people can watch it on delay. It makes for a cracking double-header leading into Christmas!

8 o’clock us on Boxing Day isn’t it? 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

We'll be more settled after a few days in Qatar and our team will be stronger. Should win it, but Flamengo are actually good, unlike Monterrey, and have a talented manager. Will be really interesting.

Monterrey were fucking boss lad 

snidey bastards but they were boss 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Monterrey were fucking boss lad 

snidey bastards but they were boss 

Someone will have to explain to me how a side who are 8th in the Mexican League with a goal difference of 4 are "fucking boss", lad. And playing well against a makeshift Liverpool just stepping off the plane isn't an explanation.

Flamengo have a good manager and genuinely talented players.

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Someone will have to explain to me how a side who are 8th in the Mexican League with a goal difference of 4 are "fucking boss", lad. And playing well against a makeshift Liverpool just stepping off the plane isn't an explanation.

I was taking the piss with the boss shout obviously but they weren’t shit at all. They would beat most PL sides the way they played. What the fuck do you know anyway. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I was taking the piss with the boss shout obviously but they weren’t shit at all. They would beat most PL sides the way they played. What the fuck do you know anyway

As much as you do. We've both seen Monterrey the same amount of times; 1. Except, I'm not the one pretending a currently midtable Mexican team are brilliant.

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

We had a tougher game than them today and playing a snidey shithouse team was good preparation for Flamengo. 

Flamengo are obsessed with beating us again. Hopefully they will try too hard and their fans will put pressure on them. 

Cant believe they still sing about that 1981 game.

The Brazilian Blooshite

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Aaaaaand our South American guy is off....

Grit. Invention. Resistance. Level-headedness. Firepower. Restraint. Our time. Might. Intelligence. Persistence. Accuracy. Nerve. Effectiveness. Mobility. Attitude.

I don't ask for much.

Apparently, Flamengo like to play with a high line. Will they do that in the final, or will they do what all South American clubs do in finals, sitting deep and tactical fouling to break up their opponents' rhythm? From what little I have seen of them, they don't start games well but stay within touching distance long enough to make the most of few chances, to take the game away from you. They are also far more into shithousery than Monterrey ever were, so you know a number of their players will try it on and look to con the ref. Aside from good fortune and a bit more ruthlessness in attack from our lot, I hope the referee is strong enough to deal with their antics. He has to know what the players of both sides can be like.

We can go out there and get a result. It's up to us to do it and claim a prize that has eluded us down the years.

• Upvote 6

I said before the 'semis' that we had the tougher game, Flamengo hardly had to break sweat in their game even if they did go a goal behind. We've been running on fumes for a couple of games now and regular sick notes Matip and Lovren havent helped matters.

Much as Id love us to win this (and do want to win it), I dont want it at the expense of losing on Boxing Day for a number of reasons. Id rather lose to Flamengo than Leicester because you know how it is in the league. God help us if it goes to extra time.

While teams might not quite shit themselves at the thought of playing us in the Prem, if \ when we do lose a league game, some teams will take it as a sign we can lose and give us harder games (as if they arent hard enough already but, you surely get my drift?).

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

As much as you do. We've both seen Monterrey the same amount of times; 1. Except, I'm not the one pretending a currently midtable Mexican team are brilliant.

But you are pretending they're shit. Struggling to see the difference after watching them all of once.

I thought they had some good players and they certainly knew how to get the ball where it needed to be - at the feet of their own players. And the busiest keeper of both teams was ours. With Karius or Mignolet in goal, we would have been tonked.

That's generally not the substance of a shit team, even on the basis of watching them just once.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both teams play, it was a tactical battle by both teams. Being able to bring on world class players in the second half was the difference between the two teams.