You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa 5 Liverpool 0 (Dec 17 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

If ever a scoreline didn’t reflect a game then it was this one. Our team of kids had more possession, more corners and more shots. Somehow they lost 5-0. Don’t get me wrong, Villa deserved to win the game but that scoreline was grossly unfair to the young lads.

They played like a Liverpool team. The shape and style of play was just like the first team and you can see the identity that runs right through the club. They fought for everything and Neil Critchley couldn’t have asked for any more from them. Ultimately what did for them was a big gulf in ‘know how’ and a huge difference in luck. 

Nothing bounced the way of our lads all night while Villa had all sorts of lucky breaks. There was zero percent chance that the team we put out would win the game but without the incredibly shitty luck they had they would have kept it fairly close. Villa would have won because they had that extra bit of experience, especially in the final third when it came to playing the decisive pass and in the middle of defence when it came to preventing it.

The way the young lads started the game was incredible. Sharp passing and movement, great pressing and Villa looked like they didn’t know what had hit them in that opening ten minutes. They couldn’t get the ball of us and we were carving them open. Kane, Elliott and Christie-Davies all had efforts at goal and the travelling fans were loving it. The noise from the away end was as loud as anything you’d hear even when the first team are playing.

And then, it all came crashing down. A free-kick out wide was whipped in dangerously and Kelleher was beaten low down. Difficult one for the keeper as he can’t commit to it fully in case an attacking player gets a touch on it. Their striker went for it and may or may not have gotten a touch. Either way, it made life difficult for Kelleher and we were a goal down completely against the run of play.

Minutes later it was 2-0, and if the first was unfortunate then this was just fucking outrageously unlike. Elmohamady tried to cross from the right but it was blocked by Boyes. The ball looped up off his boot and over the head of the helpless Kelleher from the tightest of angles. That was a 1000/1 chance at best of that ending in a goal. 

Elmohamady didn’t even have the good grace to just walk back to the halfway line. He fucking stood there like Russell Crowe in Gladiator, the absolute cunt. I mean fucking hell, acting like you’ve actually done something good when all you did was attempted a fucking cross that hit the defender. I’m still seething about that even having slept on it. I mean come on, this nomark celebrated that goal in the exact same manner Salah did after scoring in the Etihad in a Champions League quarter final. 

Their centre forward then took advantage of a fortunate ricochet to run through and make it 3-0, and he completed his hat-trick with a close range finish from a right wing cross. I can’t even be arsed looking up how to spell his name as I’ll never have reason to mention him again. I’d never heard of him before this game and I expect I’ll never hear of him again.

He was another one over-celebrating and showing no awareness of the situation. He was aptly named something that sounds like ‘codger’. A 30 year old slapdick playing against teenagers and celebrating like the teacher in Kes. Yep, stupid arl codger indeed.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not buying into this worthless exercise line either.  The players should feel proud of what they achieved and will know that the score line was massively unjust.  If any of them have got the ability, drive and passion to make it then the experience will do them good not harm.  

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Yep. We're being punished for being successful in Europe last year effectively, forced to choose between two competitions. I'd personally rather we went out to win both but if it's a choice (and two games in 24 fucking hours means it is) then the WCC wins every time.

Gonna add my agreement on Chirivella, it would be a crime if he doesn’t make it somewhere. Excellent on the ball, superb passing skills and plays with his head up. If he’d an extra yard of pace he’d be some package, but regardless, hopefully he get’s a move to decent club where he’ll thrive. 

12 hours ago, suzy said:

Great report Dave. On Sky most pundits seem to agree we couldn’t do much else team selection wise, tho to be fair I think most they spoke to were ex Reds!

Sky don't get League cup games so I doubt they give a shite. If we played a team like that in a competition they shelled out money on you can bet talk of devaluing  would pop up.

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Sky don't get League cup games so I doubt they give a shite. If we played a team like that in a competition they shelled out money on you can bet talk of devaluing  would pop up.

Actually they do have the League cup!

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic

When Chelsea spawned the CL in 2012 under Di Matteo, they also qualified for the Club World Cup at the end of the year, which was being staged in Japan back then. They'd binned Di Matteo for Rafa by the time that competition came around. Their semi final and final were on the 13th and 16th of December, and they had a League Cup quarter final at Leeds on the 19th so despite the long-distance travel, there was no fixture clash of the sort we've had to deal with this week.

When Man Utd won the CL in 2008, they qualified for the Club World Cup in December 2008. They played a League Cup quarter final against Blackburn on the 3rd, and their Club World Cup semi final and final games were on 18th and 21st December. With such a gap, there was again no fixture clash to deal with.

After we won the CL in 2005, we'd already been knocked out of the 2005/06 League Cup in the 3rd round by Palace in October, long before we headed off to Japan for the Club World Cup.

Prior to that, after Man Utd won the CL in 1999, they played against and beat Palmeiras (the Copa Libertadores champions that year) in a one-off game in Japan for what was then called the Intercontinental Cup. FIFA saw fit to organise a Club World Championship in Brazil in January 2000. The FA Cup 3rd round was to be held at the same time, and the FA told the Mancs they had to compete in the FIFA competition, believing that sucking up to FIFA would help England's chances to win the vote to host the World Cup in 2006. The club had to forfeit playing in the FA Cup because of that. The Mancs have taken an awful lot of shit over the years after that episode, but it was the FA's own hubris that forced them into it rather than the club (reigning FA Cup holders at the time too) deciding the oldest cup competition in the world wasn't worth their time.

All these pundits and knobheads insinuating that Liverpool have treated the League Cup like shit by fielding a severely weakened line-up just so they can compete in a tin-pot competition abroad need to wake up and smell the coffee. Facts hold little sway these days as we know. Insularity and ignorance does. The Club World Cup is held in high regard everywhere outside Britain. The vast majority of clubs in this country won't ever have to cope with this situation so their fans mouthing off just makes them look like the small-timers they are. They can stick to their Ingurlund loving, S*n reading, GSTQ trumpeting, and their sticking the name of whatever no-mark town on a St.George cross flag.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, StevieMax said:

Great summation of both the game and the situation, Dave.  The youngest ever LFC 1st team more than held their own and if it had ended 3-1 or 4-2 it would have been a fairer reflection of the game. 

As Dave says the Villa keeper was probably MOM.

Puts it into perspective that James Pearce reported on the Athletic that several of our players were not allowed on the team bus home and were required to have their parents drive them home due to safeguarding rules over working hours at their age.

• Upvote 1