You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monterrey (N) Club World Cup Semi-Final - 18/12/19 - 17:30

Bjornebye

38 minutes ago, sir roger said:

All's well that ends well & didn't think Monterrey or the ref were as bad as the comments on here made out.

Heard Warnock being criticised but he's a breath of fresh air compared to most analysts & thought Harry Kewell made some good points ( Glenn was ok but looked like he had some kind of eye complaint )

Agree with all that. 

Disregarding the snidey stuff, I thought they were a good side and their defence was excellent against our disjointed attack. 

It was actually a good game. Just to get the shithouse stuff out of the way, the had players hitting the deck for nothing early on, and their coach was begging for cards. The ref somehow saw fit to book Klopp too even though it was the other guy being a twat.

As for Monterrey, they are actually very good on the ball, but I felt that their tactic of sitting deep and going long with quick counters was the reason they visibly tired in the last 15 minutes. They had players cramping up because there was another gear we went up. The looked to shoot every time they got a sight of goal no matter how far out they were. Alisson had to make a couple of decent saves.

The negatives for me were that Big Div never looked at the races, and the impact of Shaq and Ox was negated by both effectively trying to play in the same spaces. Ox improved immeasurably once Ram Man was subbed. Our defending for their goal seemed to stem from confusion within our own personnel. Gomez stepped up to play an offside line without being aware of where everyone else was. Keita didn't spot the far-post runner until it was too late.

Positives? Hendo did pretty well at centre back, only getting caught by the long high ball a couple of times. Otherwise, he and Big Joe were pretty solid. Joe's only bad moment was misjudging a long ball and hauling down Funes Mori to earn a yellow card (the one that got the Monterrey coach into a hissy fit on the touchline). Keita generally used the ball and moved very well to make some dangerous runs, and deserved his goal. Lallana was calm and efficient in the deep-lying midfield role. Mo was the pick of the attackers, even when mostly up against a very strong and solid opponent in Sanchez. His hold-up and linke-up play was very impressive.

Another late goal to win it, and this time it was Bobby who got it soon after entering the fray as a sub.

Onto the final on Saturday then.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Alisson has been brilliant again.

Ali’s like the doctor you want to wake up to after a car crash. You’re shitting yourself in case someone has died or you’ve been seriously injured and then he tells you that everything is going to be alright and you believe him. Worth double what we paid for him, the handsome bastard.

• Upvote 2

I was watching the game with my daughter.

On 90-odd minutes she said that she needed to go for a piss. 

I told her that she couldn't go to the bog and to sit down.

Bad karma to go for a piss at this stage of a game

Bobby scored 57 seconds later.

She fucking won it for us!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

She’s probably got a urinary tract infection now but it’s all for a good cause.

More Flamengo fans at the game than Monterrey. They'll be mega-up for Saturday. Hopefully Van Dijk & Wijnaldum are back: play another 9 attacking midfielders and we probably won't get away with it a second time.

Good result. It looks like we're going to have to put a shift in if we're going to win it because it sounds like it really means something to these South American cunts. That's the first time I've seen Mark Chapman pissed off after we've won but I suppose he doesn't normally cover our live games. Looking forward to Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Reckon AL JASSIM Abdulrahman from Qatar will get to referee the final. 

Ive heard he's a paul simon fan.......

I think we are going to need a long term solution for CB this summer to partner Big Virg.

Matip is good but spends half a season out. Lovren lasts 5 minutes before he breaks down and Gomez has no awareness of whats going on around him.

On the final. We will have to raise our game significantly against flamengo who will treat this game as we would treat a european cup final. Really hope Virg recovers for saturday.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Totally worth sacrificing your sofa cushions.

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, BCM said:

Ive heard he's a paul simon fan.......

I think we are going to need a long term solution for CB this summer to partner Big Virg.

Matip is good but spends half a season out. Lovren lasts 5 minutes before he breaks down and Gomez has no awareness of whats going on around him.

On the final. We will have to raise our game significantly against flamengo who will treat this game as we would treat a european cup final. Really hope Virg recovers for saturday.

For the SA teams this tournament is huge, fully agree.