You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Champions League Knock-Out Stages

Bjornebye

Draw is at 11am incase anyone forgot. 

We will get one of Atalanta, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Lyon, Real Madrid. 2nd leg at Anfield as top seeds which is massive. I don't think we have too much to worry from these (which is unreal to say) but obviously we will have our preferences. 

In order of easier to tougher:

Lyon - *shrugs shoulders*

Atalanta - I'd really rather we didn't get another Italian team. Their fans were wankers against Everton (Not on a Napoli/Roma level) and it just brings unnecessary aggro. 6th in Serie A at the minute. Shouldn't be a problem on the pitch. I just hate Italian fans. 

Real Madrid - I'd rather these cunts than Atletico. We owe these a stuffing and I know most would probably want these last but nah I reckon we tear these to pieces. Might be the last chance to get Ramos at Anfield as well. 

Dortmund - Cant be arsed with it. Still think we win but fucking hell I don't fancy it. 

Atletico - No thanks. They have been shit in the league lately and I swathes against Bilbao live and they badly laboured. That said, they are a team capable of beating anyone and Simeone is no mug. 

Already played and beat Dortmund under Klopp, in his first year away from them to boot, so that huge upside of a one-off atmosphere through it being a special occasion isn’t there. Plus, as well as law of diminishing returns it just feels like it gives them the chance to overturn that one.

Atletico would be the sort of tie which could really stifle us, and have a knock-on elsewhere if it didn’t go well and we can’t break them down. Questions of there being a blue-print for stopping us/beating us/rattling us, etc. Don’t fancy it at this stage as it’s a real last 16 banana skin, but think it’s what we’ll end up with.

Lyon would be my second choice. Instinctively a bland, fairly nothing tie in terms of no existing needle/edge/team with great European pedigree, etc. So long as we don’t get complacent and approach it with the usual level of focus/application it could be one of those job done exercises you have in most decent European runs. It just feels like it could be fairly underwhelming and you don’t want too many of those ties in Europe, as we’re always at our best when we’re right at it with our tails up and a high tempo against a proper giant.

Atalanta, not hugely anti it but yeah, no great desire to play another Italian side this year. Certainly not this soon.

Real, get those cunts to Anfield and have everyone in the stands wearing a Torres mask. Mo hat-trick. Do want.

Like you said, we're the European champions, with the second leg at Anfield, we'd beat them all.

I want either Lyon or Real Madrid though, Lyon so we can try and kill the tie in the first leg, and Real so we can get our revenge. 

I'd like to avoid Atletico, they're a bit of a defensive anti-football team, would be a bit of a crap match. 

It would be nice if city got a tough draw for a change. 

2 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

will get man city then

I had Talk Sport on about 20 minutes ago (for my sins) and they did a blag draw first. Whoever was presenting made me laugh because City got a tough draw (Atletico I think it was) and he said thats a surprise they normally get someone like Rochdale or Telford. Then I heard Danny Murphy speak and I'm not picking up pieces of radio.