You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Dec 7-13 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Dec 7:

Bournemouth 0 L 3 Three more points closer to our objective. Just keep racking them up boys. Few games will be easier than this one though. The thing with Bournemouth is if they think they have a chance, they’re a difficult team to play. If they know they’ve got no chance, they just meekly accept it and curl up into a ball begging not to be hit too hard. They played this game like they usually play against Man City. The outcome was never in doubt.

The great thing about this team is they can can score all sorts of goals and hurt teams in a variety of ways. They can score on a quick break from a corner, they can score from set-pieces, they can score after a patient build up or they can just hit a ball over the top and score that way. We don’t get many from outside the box, so maybe that’s one area where improvement is possible.

Look at today though. First goal is a long ball over the top from Hendo to Ox. Usually it’s Mane making that run, but he was rested today and his replacement just stepped in and, well, replaced him. Second goal is a lovely one two between Naby and Mo that went right through the heart of their defence. Third goal is winning it high up the pitch and then Naby playing a perfect through ball for Mo. We’ve got so many strings to our bow that we’re virtually impossible to stop unless we have a bad day and the opposition plays to their absolute maximum.

14 points ahead of City now, who will be six points behind Leicester if the Foxes beat Villa tomorrow. This is just mental. It’s so much more than we could have even dreamed of when the season started. Those two play each other in a couple of weeks and we might actually be rooting for City. How mad is that?

Meanwhile, the u18s had a good win today as well, bouncing back from their Youth Cup loss last week with a 5-1 win at last year’s league winners Derby County. They were 1-0 down at half time and then ran riot in the second half. It was the Cain and Clarkson show again. If you haven’t watched the 18s this season, it’s worth checking them out on LFCTV even just to see these two. They’re great to watch.

The Manc derby made headlines for all the wrong reasons as a City fan made monkey gestures at Fred, who was also pelted with coins. I take the same view with this as I did with the Chelsea fan who abused Sterling on this very weekend a year ago. It’s not a Chelsea problem, or a Man City problem. It’s not even a football problem. It’s society. Loads of people are cunts, and some of those attend football matches.

This doesn’t mean City have a problem with racism or that their fans are all scumbags, but it’s ironic really given how they’ve spent the last 18 months creasing about the behaviour of our fans because one lad threw a bottle. Now it will just be “it was one dickhead”. It was actually more than one, but he was clearly the most obvious offender to everyone except the two stewards who were stood a yard away from him.

Sterling is taking a lot of stick over this, which is wrong but almost inevitable given the way he put himself up as some kind of figurehead for the fight against racism. He defended Bernardo’s tweet and today he stood there and did fuck all while two of his team-mates pleaded with the fans to behave themselves. Wasn’t a good look for him at all, but it doesn’t sit right with me seeing all the people lining up to have a go at him.

He has left himself open to accusations of hypocrisy though by saying things like clubs whose fans are guilty of racial abuse should be docked nine points. He’ll no doubt be asked about that now but what can he say? That’s a no win situation for him, but seeing fans of other clubs (mostly ours actually) tweeting him gleefully about that feels like it’s making light of a bad situation. Let’s not forget the story here people. Some twat was making monkey gestures, everything else is just background noise.

Sunday Dec 8:

Oh man, that picture of John Barnes with Boris Johnson was just a massive kick in the balls. It’s genuinely upset me if I’m honest. I wouldn’t have been shocked to discover he voted Tory and it is what it is. I’d imagine plenty of our former and current players do too, as is their right. Actually going out there and being seen campaigning with arguably the biggest cunt in the country (and make no mistake, Johnson is certainly in the running for that title, the Poundland Trump, chuntering piece of shit) is pretty heartbreaking to me.

John Barnes was one of those people who when he spoke I’d listen and usually feel more enlightened afterwards. If he had an opposing view to mine, generally I’d just assume I must be wrong. That’s all gone out of the window now though. 

What a mental couple of days though. Last night Gary Neville called out Johnson on racism as Roy Keane sat there nodding his approval. Today we have John Barnes, JOHN BARNES!!!!, hanging around him him. Right now I like Gary Neville more than I like John Barnes and that’s something I never thought I’d say.

Can a giant meteor not just hit us and wipe us out and put an end to all this shit? Every day there's something else to be miserable about. I think I need to stay off social media entirely so I can try and stay blissfully unaware of all the shit going on in the world. The human race doesn’t deserve this planet, it’s like the earth has chickenpox. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
Guest Pistonbroke

Great read Dave. I kind of disagree about Sterling, the rat bag deserves all the negative comments he gets due to his hypocrisy. He just thinks about what is best for 'Team Sterling' IMO. 

I do agree with your opinion on the fact Racism is a problem within Society, it is bound to make its way onto the terraces when you have vast amounts of people together but doesn't make it a problem within the game as such, well not in the UK, at the moment. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you on Sterling mate (probably wouldn't go as far as you have, but it's a valid discussion), it's just the point scoring whataboutery that happened almost immediately just doesn't sit well with me.

Knew we'd get Atletico as soon as I wrote that.

• dave u unpinned this topic