You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (A) League Cup 1/4 Final 17/12/19 - 19:45

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, J-V said:

I've never heard of him before.  We paid good money for Berg and he's looked poor any time he's played.

Fuck me, we spent like £1m for him, 1/7th of an Ilori...  He's in the same boat as the rest of them, a 17 year old up against a senior team.

• Upvote 1

Some observations:

- Chirivella looks a great passer of the ball.

- Hoever and Elliot looked the two best players on the pitch.

- Van Den Berg is plainly not ready. He isn’t strong enough nor is he fast enough. 
- Blonde kid didn’t touch it.

- Kelleher had a a bit of a mare.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Elliot and Hoever look like proper footballers.

As expected really. The positive surprise for me has been Chirivella, who I think has been excellent on the ball. I’ve been thinking he’d definately one that’ll never make it, and he probably won’t either, but fairly impressive close control, decision making and distribution.

Just now, J-V said:

and we paid fuck all for Boyes who hardly any cunt has heard of before tonight.

No excuse for blaming one for the mistakes of the other! Couldn't care less about what we paid for any of them it's totally irrelevant to the performance.

This fixture is ridiculous, the EFL have embarrassed themselves here. I hope the score line is kept 6-0 or lower as a really high mauling might be seriously negative for the youngsters.

I agree with other posters that Chirivella has played well give the circumstances and this may enable him to get a reasonable move in January.

2 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

This fixture is ridiculous, the EFL have embarrassed themselves here. I hope the score line is kept 6-0 or lower as a really high mauling might be seriously negative for the youngsters.

I agree with other posters that Chirivella has played well give the circumstances and this may enable him to get a reasonable move in January.

This age group or younger should be our new go-to team for the competition - show the EFL how much stock a club as continentally successful as ours needs to put in it.

Smudger is being lovely and kind about us tonight and then he'll be back to his snidey self when our brilliant side is back.

Only Elliot looks ready. Perhaps Hoever. The FA cup game would be another good experience for them.

Having said that, it is tough for all of them tonight. These kids are on to a hiding and they know that Jurgen is looking at this going that pretty much none of them have a future at the club even as a squad player. They would have been desperate to succeed and have him take notice. The difference a few senior players in there would make for lads like Kelleher who has been poor tonight. I do feel for them. The difference between being a good u23 player and even a mediocre player in a second string team like Villa is huge.

2 minutes ago, J-V said:

It's alright for you to call Boyes worse though aye.

Not really no, but I felt it was a point worth making considering the number of people treating van den Berg as the sole responsible member of the defensive unit.  Even blaming him for the second after his defensive partner ran out of defence and left him to try and cover for his missed clearance.

1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Smudger is being lovely and kind about us tonight and then he'll be back to his snidey self when our brilliant side is back.

Only Elliot looks ready. Perhaps Hoever. The FA cup game would be another good experience for them.

Having said that, it is tough for all of them tonight. These kids are on to a hiding and they know that Jurgen is looking at this going that pretty much none of them have a future at the club even as a squad player. They would have been desperate to succeed and have him take notice. The difference a few senior players in there would make for lads like Kelleher who has been poor tonight. I do feel for them. The difference between being a good u23 player and even a mediocre player in a second string team like Villa is huge.

I was just going to say Ive never heard Smith to be so nice!

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Utter fucking shite.